Test the shuttle

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Qidong, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I remember long long time ago, when player get new shuttles, they tested it. Now a day, players just get the shuttle from the ref and continue playing. What if it's a 17 - 17 game and the shuttle is defected!?

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    If the shuttle is defect.. then change to a new one. I dont understand what u mean testing shuttle.

3. Aotis

Aotis Regular Member

Student
    they're tested, no?

I think those shuttles have been tested prior to the match.
    I don't know the details though.

4. westbeach

westbeach Regular Member

i think he meant testing its flight. like hitting an underhand deep clear. to check speed and flight.

It's a common practice within our own group. even when we play with nylon (shudders), we always check speed and flight path first (wobbly or not)

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    We do this, too.

In NY, the temperature could change from -20F to 100+'F within a year. Therefore, it's hard just to order 1 kinda (speed) shuttle to cover the yearly usage. Since temp and humidity will greatly effect the speed+flight, we need to check shuttles before the games. If necessary, do a little bit "operation" to get the best performance.

6. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Maybe it's already been tested (by inspectors) ? :)
    (You never know though)

We can ask JR about this :)

7. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

no mate thats not always the case. I test the shuttles all the time

8. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    Just before playing a recent league match against a fairly poor team, one of their players decided to test the shuttles before a couple of the games. He was hitting full underhand clears before the matches which were landing about mid-court in the opposite court, but since he seemed happy (to him it was no doubt a matter of protocol rather than an actual test, as he didn't seem sure where a shuttle of the correct speed was supposed to land), I just kept quiet and tried to veil my mirth.

In any case, at the local club level such tests are usually pointless, as not many teams bring shuttles of different speeds to games, and few are adept at tipping the shuttle without significantly affecting the condition of the shuttle and the length of time it will last.

#8 ynexfan2003, Feb 12, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Were you laughing as well? I thought it was only me but was hiding my face at the time!!

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think the distance reached depends on the player testing.

I always test the shuttle the "way" i test it, and it also lands mid court, it doesn't mean I dont know how to test shuttles, just means I hit it slightly differently.
    Some people may test them by aiming for the singles line, others may simply (like me) hit a light hit around 2m short of the doubles service line. Someone I knowtests them by hitting a traditional high singles serve.

Each to their own I suppose.

11. Sliced Drop

Sliced Drop Regular Member

Anyway, back to the question...

I suspect that the reasons that we don't see the pros test shuttles anymore are as follows;

1. Better manufacturing technology has lead to a more consistent shuttle.

2. Better packaging technology has lead to a more consistent shuttle.

3. Better understanding of how environmental factors affect the shuttle has led to better care and a more consistent shuttle.

4. Pros today change shuttles every rally or two. On the rare occasion that a 'bad' shuttle comes into play, it will only last one rally anyway. (Compare to the Eightys when a shuttle would last half a set).

I suppose it is possible that a referee tests all the shuttles before a pro match, but I doubt that happens. IIRC, the IBF regulations call for testing shuttles of differing speeds and selecting the speed that suits for the condition, but not for testing all the shuttles.

12. ymq03

ymq03 Regular Member

Long long time old, the shuttle might not be made as consistant as now days due to manufacturing technology improvement. And testing shuttle may casue losing concentration, flow of the game. Now, the pace of game is much faster than before and testing shuttle would slow the game a lot. You may be in doubt of catching your breath. Anothter thing is, now days, shuttle is changed more often than old days. Testing everytime chaning shuttle would make the TV people mad. I doubt the quality of shuttles would drop compare with old days. Or the pro now hit the shuttle harder?

During normal social play, all grades, weight and brands shuttles are around. So we still test the shuttles. And by the way, we do not change shuttle that often in the game like pro. Otherwise, we may spend more time testing the shuttles instead of playing badminton.

13. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Yes, I meant the professional matches. I was watching a match between Dong Joing and Hendrawan. Hendrawan asked Dong to change shuttle. Dong served and it went at least 6 inches out of the based line, and Dong requested to change shuttle right away. If Dong has tested the shuttle, (for example, try hitting a deep clear underhand to test the speed), he might not have lost the serve so easily. If Dong was serving at the score tied at 17-17, losing serve so easily could be very important.

But Slice Drop and ymq3 have very good points about not test hitting the shuttles.

#13 Qidong, Feb 12, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A proper badminton court has 2 markers on each of the inner tramlines at the back of the court. The 2 markers are 530mm and 990mm from the back boundary line. You test a shuttle speed by using a full underhand stroke at an upward angle and in a direction parallel to the sidelines (tramlines). A shuttle of the correct speed will fall between these 2 markers.
    I believe shuttles are tested prior to major tournaments by the organizers. If not, all hell will break out and points lost will be contested needlessly.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Forgot to mention where you should stand when testing the shuttle. You should stand somewhere at one end of the back boundary line and then strike the shuttle just above the back boundary line. So it is from back boundary line to any spot between the 2 markers on the opposite court.

16. viver

viver Regular Member

As far as I know shuttles used in tournaments are tested (usually a player appointed by the organizing committee) and only the approved ones are used in matches. One of the reasons to do so is to keep the game going avoiding unnecessary, sometimes lengthy interruptions to the game.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Shuttle Testing

Yes, I agree with others like viver and taneepak that the shuttles are tested beforehand so as not to waste valuable court and TV time, although sometimes some players may not like some of the tested shuttles and ask for a change. Some of the tested shuttles may be unintentionally damaged when we are replaced into the tubes.

Most of the standard rubber mats have the test markings and they are to assist the tester to determine whether the shuttle is playable if hit in the manner described by taneepak.

18. Californian

Californian Regular Member

As far as I know, several shuttles are tested before the match starts. It used to be done by the players themselves, but it may be different now.

The rule covering shuttle testing is somewhat vague. The test depends on the strength of the player and the upward angle they hit it. But as long as both parties agree to accept the shuttle, there should be no problem.

I think when experienced players test-hit a shuttle, they have their own personal standards by which they know if a shuttle is too fast, too slow, or good.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

That is why there is a range of 530mm to 990mm from one marker to the other to cover for variations in the tester's strength and the upward angle the shuttle is hit. Generally, this method of testing is very effective.

20. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Assuming the original question referred to international tournaments, I would say that the speed is checked beforehand, and then all the shuttles are expected to be of a high enough quality to be consistent.

At last year's All England, in the MD match Erikson/Lundgaard v Lee/Yoo there was quite a disagreement about the shuttle speed. During the knock up, the Danes were not happy with the speed of the shuttles. I think the Danes wanted them to be faster to more suit their driving game. Each side tested some shuttles and they did seem to be slow. The referee got someone to bring out some tubes of faster shuttles and they tested them and seemed happy. Then the tournament referee came out and told them to go back to using the original shuttles. Eventually, the Danes lost the match.