Stringing Tension for MP99

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Gallen, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Gallen

Gallen Regular Member

My MP99 is strung with Cyber BG 100 @ 24lbs(m), 26lbs(c). I hope to string it even higher in the future as my quest for an explosive and unstoppable smash continues but at the same time, I don't want my racquet to be more vulnerable to damage. So i was just wondering what high tensions are you guys comfortable with using on the MP99.

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    i strung my Mp90 at 30lbs. Now its strung at around 27lbs becoz of a crack due to clash.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The higher the tension, the more risk u put on ur racket, regardless MP99 or whatever brand/model. If u suffer a clash or bump the floor, there's great risk a high tension racket might got damanged.

If u r really serious about the game, and willing to take the risk and max. ur performance, then, just be careful and pray. If u tend to play more socially, and might team up with newbies, then, either lower the tension, or get a back up racket.

4. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

My MP99 (3u) is strung with BG65 ti strings at 22lbs. had it for 6 months now had a few clashes with it but nothing too bad :)

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

just swing it faster then... :p

6. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    I have my MP99 at 23 with BG80. No problems so far.

I know what you mean about wanting more power from the 99. I have the 3U version, and to get the same power as my Cab 20 2U, I have to delay my swing and then hit with a higher velocity. This is a good trade off though I believe if you play most doubles and need a manuverable racquet. The ppwer lost is acceptable.

7. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I have mine (3U) in 19x21 now, I don't know why, but I think it is good enough for the power level.

However, I use higher tensions on my other rackets.....such as MP-100 for 22x24...MP-88 with 22x23....

8. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    I have a fake 99 and i strung it at 28 pounds. It's super light, and personally I think it's better than the original. I dunno but for some reason, lighter rackets that are strung at higher tenions give more power. All my shots after I restrung my 99, were like shots comming out of a cannon.

9. BadFan_OC

BadFan_OC Regular Member

IT
    I just got my mp-99 a few days ago. I went to ocbc and requested the racquet to be strung at 21 lbs with bg-80. The guy there told me I need to string it at 29 because I wouldn't be using the full potention of the racquet at 21 lbs.

also, he said if I play outside, then I should string it at around 21-24 lbs. But inside, I should string it at 29+ lbs.

I strung my mp99 at 29 lbs and find it responds better than my other racquet at 21lbs.

any comments on what he said ? :)

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Do you know what kind of stringing machine (electronic, handcrank, drop weight, 2-,4-,6- point support?) your stringer is using?

11. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I bet his pounds is actually lower than normal. I can't imagine a MP99 is strung to 29pounds all time (except for the pros). Also, string tensions are supposed to match one's playing styles. He obviously doesn't have too much knowledge on stringings to people but to blindly chasing for high tensions.

Don't listen to him, find your own ideal tensions.
    Also, MP99 will break easily over 27 pounds, and I am not kidding.

12. calvinlgoh

calvinlgoh Regular Member

Student
    I was with BadFan_OC the day he got the racket strung. The stringer looks very knowledgable and is one of the resident coaches at OCBC.

From my observation, he was very assertive and kept saying that 21lbs would be very weak. I asked him if 29lbs would cause the racket to break easily and he strongly said no. Oh Well... he knows alot more about stringing and rackets than i do.... but not as much as the ppl on BF :D :D :D

I am quite certain that it is a hand-crank stringer but did not notice if it was 4pt or 6pt.(what difference does this make:confused: )

:D :D :D

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    There's some lattitude for handcranks in terms of tension setting. I would be shocked if he used electronic machine to string 29lbs. FYI, theoratically the more 'points' the machine has, the more support, meaning the fail-safe potential of stringing at a higher tension increases... that's given the man behind the machine is competent.

I found out the difference between electronic and handcrank machines the hard way:(. Also, stringer skills becomes very important as one goes up the tension ladder. 29lbs is abit extreme for MP99, and it sounds like there's a little bravado involved with your stringer's claim.

14. calvinlgoh

calvinlgoh Regular Member

Student
    while we are on the stringing topic...

is it safe to get your racket strung at sports stores (those in the US) that mainly string racquetball and tennis rackets?
    I dont think they are that experienced with badminton rackets, but i did notice a pretty sophisticated machine in sportschalet.
    Are they different stringing methods for tennis, badminton, etc.

BTW... i do not know their prices and would not expect it to be cheaper than the badminton club we mentioned above.... so i would probably not string it there anyways... but just curious:D

thanks

calvin

p.s. Im new and i think this forum is GREEAAATTT!!!!

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    From 21lb to 29 is quite a jump. I hope this stringer knows u personally, and carefully thought about the "transition process". To very expereinced players, such a jump might just take a short period of time, however, for less expereinced players, this might be a nightmare for their performance and might result into injuries.

Also, I will avoid regular sports chain stores. Most of their stringers have no idea about badminton rackets. Also, their machine and tools are mainly designed for tennis, and I doubt if they can do a good job.

16. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

Case in point, an experienced female player I know had her racquet strung at a somewhat higher tension than her usual last September and wound up with a lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) that prevented her from playing for a few months...

Cheers,

Mike

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    In my old posts, I kept metioning that I believe everyone has his/her comfortable range for string tension. Within this tension, he/she should get reasonable performance easily.

Now, I think there might be a 2nd layer, even further down to both ends. Within this "outter layer", is the reasonable "transition range". Within that, player can spend reasonable amount time to get use to the new tension, and develop their new "comfort range". Also, it's relatively safe to stay away from injury.

But a jump of 8lb is kinda way too much for me.

18. BadFan_OC

BadFan_OC Regular Member

IT
    I think calvin is right. To me, it looks like a handcrank but I dont know if its 4 or 6 pt.
    We will play again this saturday so I'll look at it more closely.

The guy working there looks like he knows what he is talking about. When we were there, (4 hrs) it looks like he did about 3-4 racquets.

I was using a pro kennex dc-3 at 21lbs and now using mp99 at 29lbs. Big difference in the racquet and tension. My first day of using it was pretty good. I had to get used to the head heavy mp99 but my drops and clears were easier to perform, hehe, after a few games.

mike - I hope I wont get that thing, I dont know if I can survive without playing badminton for a few months, :D

ps. I agreed with Calvin, this forum and all the BFers are great.

19. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    One of my friends went to a local tennis shop to string his badminton racket, and it was great. His racket became two rackets, and I think you know what I meant.:eek:

20. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Again, you should not rely on stringer's preference when stringing your rackets. It is you, who are playing on the court, not stringer. So, you should be the one telling stringer what tension you need/want.

Try to start experiencing 21 pounds, and you can adjust either higher or lower pounds later:)