Zymax 62 At 28Lbs+

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by LoneRanger, Dec 23, 2013.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Regular Member

Student
    I've asked a lot of people what is the ideal tension of a Ashaway Zymax 62 and the maximum they said was 25Lbs or else it will snap while stringing. And others say that when strung at 23Lbs, a mishit will immidiately snap the string. But after all these messages. I decided to try it out at 28Lbs. People say that it feels too stiff at 25Lbs and try 23Lvs instead to get the same result as their previous strings. (Probably Yonex BG80, Yonex BG85, Yonex NBG98 or Yonex BG66UM/M) And I do agree it was really difficult to string, not that it was dufficult to thread it through the gormmet but that It was pressurizing because many people said it would snap so I did it as slowly and carefully as possible. But it was as worth it once it was over, it felt stiff yes, you really do feel afraid that it would snap at any moment and hitting hard or smashing does make you worry about affecting the durability. But other than that its repulsion was incredible. The combination of a Ultra Thin Gauge String At 0.62mm strung at a high tension even above Ashaway's recommended tension had an incredible amount of repulsion. Net shots and slices were easy and though power was not that immense, the repulsion was truely better than anything I've ever tried. I don't recommend this to people who play baseline and use power to their advantage through the game as by doing so you will ware out the string even faster and won't get that result you're looking for. For people using Yonex BG66M/UM/S & Yonex BG80 you would feel the difference in stiffness of the string bed but may take 1-3 weeks to get used to. But people using Yonex NBG98, Zymax 70/67 I don't think this suits you.
    But warning, if you are looking forward to try it out, make sure you are ready to paythe price for restring after your sessions. I can't guarantee that you local stringers or yourself can string it without breakage but I did it 3 times myself so far without failure. Just make sure not to crush the string. If you aren't that confident in stringing without breakage than you may not want to pre-strech it. And also make sure you racket can take the tension. I tried 29Lbs & 28Lbs too, repulsion is better but durability it worse. And any mishit may cause the string or racket to break. Or course it will be the string if you use rackets such as Panda & Apac Etc.

28Lbs: Max 2 Singles Game
    29Lbs: Max 1.3 Singles Game
    30Lbs: Less Than 1 Singles Game

Racket: Karakal BN60 (White & Black Sceme)
    String: Ashaway Zymax 62 (Ivory White/28Lbs/With Pre-Strech)
    Stringing Machine: Yonex ES5 ProTech
    Shoes: Yonex SHBSC6EX (Blue)
    Shuttlecocks: Yonex AeroSena 50
    Grip: Karakal PU Super Grip (White/Full Handle Including Cone)

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO every stringer does a different type of stringing job for the request 30lbs. Some will do a 28x30, 29x31 30x32 etc. High level stringer do often proportional stringing jobs for tension around 30lbs. The center is really tight as hell, but the strings outside the sweet spot are a bit lower strung to avoid to fast breakage. The player is also a factor. A really hard smasher who tends to mishits will break the string faster than a controlled player or a heavy smash who don't mishit. The duration of a game and played hits and duration of sets and rallys etc, makes your calculation inaccurate. FME Zymax 62 isn't a durable string but very durable for its diameter. Thanks for sharing. :)

3. LoneRanger

Student
    Just tried stringing Zymax 62 at 40Lbs on my friend's Apacs racket and suprisingly, it strung without snappping. Then I tried it at 42Lbs and it took me 2 tries to successfully string it. However it felt super stiff though repulsion was still ok. It felt dead. I didn't manage to string any higher because my friend was afraid of his racket breaking.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Wow. 40lbs. What frequency does it ping at? 1500 Hz?

5. LoneRanger

Student
    Lol umm.... A LOT. Snaps a lot too

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    asking for personal opinion :)

good indepth review on this string as i am about to try it a second time since i didn't feel that it was anything special the first time i tried it when it first arrived in California, USA. but some people on this forum mentioned that there was a revision of some sort on this string and it's a whole different string all together, so i'm giving it a second try after being thoroughly impressed by the performance of zm67. :)

i am not a hard hitter so i probably won't have a problem with breaking a string, but last time i had it strung at 24 and tho it was stiff, that was it, it didn't do anything for me, should i be stringing it at a slightly higher tension like 26lbs?

#6 gundamzaku, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  7. LoneRanger

Student
    Well Ashaway themselves recommends 25Lbs but 22Lbs would be a good start. I see many people strung their at 22Lbs.