Yonex ArcSaber 008DX vs. 8DX vs. 008

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by vctrku, Dec 23, 2013.

1. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Hi, I had just purchased the Yonex ArcSaber 008DX but when I went online to check other people's reviews to see if it is a good racquet or not, the information that turned up was very confusing!

I had come across three different racquets of a very similar name and everyone had very mixed reviews on the racquet. The one I bought was rated extra stiff in the shaft flexibility whereas other people had medium flex racquets.

First of all I would like to ask why Yonex would do such a thing!!!! I would like for this thread to be the definitive guide to show the differences between these three racquets so could you guys please provide your expert input?

Is the racquet I bought any good? (008DX) I am a very aggressive attacking and power player so does this racquet possess the quality of a high end racquet for me?

Please share your experience with this racquet to help me and anyone else considering this racquet. Thanks!

2. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Reviews don't tell you whether the racquet is good or not, it's all personal preference but it is there personal opinions. Demo racquets before you buy, it makes things more efficient. Yeah it should be good for attacking IF you're able to bend the extra stiff shaft.

3. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

I think you may have misunderstood my question but thank you for your reply! Okay let me try to reword it and explain it differently. I know and realise that racquet choice is very personal but I was just trying to discover the differences between the three versions of the racquet by seeing if anyone else has tried them so they can shed some light to this confusion.

I play with the Apacs Lethal 70 and Tantrum 300, having five of each so I am very familiar with each knowing them inside and out giving me the confidence to continue my power play with high tension of 26x28lbs by knowing the strength and quality of the materials in the racquets capable of withstanding and transferring through my power output so I hope the quality of the ArcSaber 008DX is on par. Here in Toronto I bought the racquet from SportChek so demoing is not an option but I am looking to try it out soon and if it is really bad, I will return it.

Again, the main purpose of this thread is to try and decipher the differences between the variations of this "8" racquet. From the reading I have done so far it seems like they are really three completely different racquets with the 8DX as a high-end racquet with a stiff flex, then the 008 as a mid-range racquet with a medium flex, and then the 008DX as seemingly the mid-range equal to the 008 or as a lower-end of the three with an extra stiff shaft.

Has anyone actually tried playing with the ArcSaber 008DX and like it? Can you describe the feel?

The problem I had is that I bought the racquet expecting it to be the high end 8DX which I have read reviews of, but turns out it is a totally different racquet.

#3 vctrku, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  4. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I do have an 009DX. The feel is alright... Might be my strings though, zymax 67. The DX at the end means bigger frame so it can withstand higher tensions. Also a bigger sweet spot. Sorry I misunderstood your question. Not relevant but don't get your racquet strung at sportschek.

5. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

What are the specs of the 009DX and what was the cost? Yeah, I noticed the freakish head size difference when I put it beside my other racquets. LOL I did notice the string tension recommendations on the racquet and that was exciting because I know other Yonex racquets are rated for 24lbs. (Although many string much higher anyways.) The last part of your post cannot be anymore true! LOL I am actually very knowledgeable in strings from reading here for many years. That is why I have my own dedicated stringer who does an amazing job and I bring my racquets to him every time! The racquet came with factory strings so if I try it and I like it, I will cut it off immediately. lol

6. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

HEYO! I also bought an ARC008DX, but on impulse. It was $48, so I was like, why not?

7. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Ah yes! I am sure you bought it from SportChek too! Yeah, I saw it on sale and could not resist the price so I actually bought 3 of them as they still had it in stock. If I try it and really hate it, I will return it but I could also keep them as racquets I give out to my friends to use since I usually have all the equipment and don't ever let them touch my main racquets! I hope it turns out amazing but I really don't have anything to lose. I just wished it was the better 8DX. lol

8. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

I was at the SportChek in Yorkdale, then a man bought the last two. I had to go to another mall to get it :/

9. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Ah, I planned to buy it on Sunday but the storm came in and I had to wait until Tuesday to buy them. Luckily my SportChek in Brampton had plenty in store for me to choose from.

10. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Probably more head heavy, stronger frame because rated tension on mine is 21-27 lbs while as the 008DX is 20-25, hah yeah, also has super hmg instead of hmg. Probably getting a Arcsaber I slash for Boxing Day !, we'll boxing week hehe. Meeh I don't
    Like factory strings /: they fray fast on me and tension is too low. But low end racquets are as good as high ends as we'll but I prefer high ends ahhaah.

11. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Also cost was expensive since I was quite dumb and was impatient and ordered from badmintonavenue.com it was $160 I should've went to MBS and got a high end >.>