help, my WISE died.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Dec 24, 2013.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Need some advice from the forum members.

couple days ago my WISE stopped working. here are the symptoms:

- powers on
    - the WISE goes into starting sequence, but the tension head doesn't move. if i try to help it along by hand, it'd go maybe half way and then go back.
    - then it shows an error, usually 5, but sometimes 3.

before this happens, it was acting up a little already, sometimes the tensioner won't start.

i sent a email to wise and they haven't responded. either they are slow or they are off due to holidays.

what are my choices?

1. open it up? but i think that will trigger an error because they have some sort of safeguard?
    2. send it back. i am still waiting for the reply. what kind of repair cost should i expect?
    3. buy a new one?
    4. buy new machine all together?
    5. go back to crank

most of you will say 4. ;) but unfortunately that's gonna cost too much.

i won't do 3 unless the cost of repair is so much that i might as well get a brand new one.

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The obvious question is, how much of a hurry are you in? :confused:

Some shop in Northern California should be able to repair a small motor. But over the Christmas holilday?

Do you still have a the crank? Why not refresh yourself with a little extra Christmas exercise and put that back on? Especially if you have rackets that need stringing quickly.

Sorry for your loss. But surely those smiling little faces in your house at Christmas time will take the edge of your existential pain. :):)

3. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I'd say 5 until they respond back to you. My guess is that they'll repair it and that it won't cost you too much. Their customer service has always been quite excellent (during Herb days anyway).

Or 6. Go string at a friend's shop until it is repaired.

I'd only open it up as a last resort before buying a new one, because at that point, you have nothing to lose.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i still have the crank. that might be the option before the other options becomes available.

in fact, now that i think about it. i have never used the crank before. i got the machine, and the first thing i did was to put on the WISE.

5. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Can always come by and chill with the AK. I was thinking of a backup machine, if Yonex gets 2 ES5 Protech in Feb, I get one, if 1 comes then me outta luck, Nusem gonna get. Go with Ghost, been using it for tennis and it feels like an awesome machine!!

6. anthony.nguyen

anthony.nguyen Regular Member

Student
    just out of curiosity, after how many string jobs was this?

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    504 stringjobs.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    really? you do string for a living, but isn't the ES5 designed with multiple redundancy and never supposed to have down time?

will certainly come over and hangout some time.

Nusem is rich dude!

for me, i need CFO approval. :(

9. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

AK is known for same day stringing. If on a customers racket that ts not there, having a 2nd machine helps keep up AK's rep for same day stringing =)

10. madnut

madnut Regular Member

Alpha ghost

I'm about to bust down on an Alpha Ghost. Tell the CFO it's the holiday season and we all need some lovin'!! We can get a group buy going. =)

11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Sound like a sensor issue. I would wait for WISE to contact you and send it back. Depend on the cost to repair. in the mean time, use the crank machine.

12. aqua26

aqua26 Regular Member

Sports Shop Owner
    I would have opened the machine by now.
    I think it must be a sensor problem or just dusty.
    The least is that the warranty will be void & the repairs will cost you, But anyways it is cheaper than new machine.

& if machine started working "Merry Christmas"

13. AZbadman

AZbadman Regular Member

Sales and Marketing
    Kwun: use the crank. the Gamma crank is very precise and probably the best crank tension head out there. You'll have no problems adapting. Make sure you calibrate it first. I have two machines, one with the Wise and one with the crank. The crank one does just as good as a job as the one with the Wise. :D

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. i have been using the crank. it does take calibration as going by the original calibration it is 4lbs too high. i have done a couple of rackets with it now. for sure it was slower, but i am starting to adapt to the new flow.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's what i would normally do, except that the WISE has sensor protection built it, it throw an error code after it is opened.

kinda annoying, actually.

16. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    That error code after it opened is easy to by pass.
    It happen to me when I drop a small gripper into the machine, also I curious enough to see inside how it work with the cover open, them the error code show up after I turn it on without the cover. I used all my electronic knowledge to see where is the sensor to detect the opening, I can't find it. I was thinking they must use some high tech secret, now I have to send the machine to service, when I try to close the cover, the head just do not let the cover closed perfectly. Then I discover the head is out of the normal position, that is how the error code generated.
    To fix that, Before to close the machine, just let the head stay in the meddle (do not let it return to the beginning position).

17. tcliang

tcliang Regular Member

University Professor
    No, there is no sensor protection built. I have just repaired a 2086 with error code 3 for my friend.
    The code 3 error means the self test process is incomplete. The situation of my friend's 2086 is there are dusty in the groove of the screw bar that makes the movement of the tension head not smooth enough, as it cannot finish the test process within a given time, error 3 occurs. I opened the 2086, remove 6 screws of the frame that hold the stepping motor, the screw bar and the tension head, then 3 screws at the back end of the frame, the screw bar is then can easily be removed. Cleaning the screw bar with kerosene until it can go into and out of the tension head smoothly. Finally reassemble all parts together and the 2086 is back to work.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    cool. i will try that.

i ended up getting a new one. i tried contacting WISE and got no response. and i had a pile of client rackets piled up.

looks like i will open it up and see if something can be done. if so, i may just fix it and sell the old one for cheap.

19. vudoo

vudoo Regular Member

You didn't get a reply back from them as well, Kwun? Looks like I'm not the only one... =( it's been close to 2 weeks now.

20. anthony.nguyen

anthony.nguyen Regular Member

Student
    could it be that there is no more customer service since mr.wise passed away? or has someone else on this forum received service since then? it would be kind of bad if theyre continuously selling machines with "warranty" on them but not provide service right?