Weird sound on string?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ZeroSOFInfinity, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

I got my racket strung with NBG 98 at 26lbs, purchased from an online seller. When I used it for warmup practice, I notice a very weird sound. Its like a mix of guitar strings being plucked and nails on a chalkboard. It got louder during the match, and then the string snapped after barely 2 matches.

Took it back to the stringer and he said it wasn't his fault, blaming that the string used was a CP type (not the usual SP or JP). He offered a cheaper string, but I refused and got the racket restrung with another stringer (same string, code and tension). It did not snap after 7-8 matches and sounds normal.

Question - does the weird sound I heard indicates the string was badly strung, or the fault lies at the string quality itself?

2. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    Following your description, its very hard to determine if it was the stringer's fault or it could've been simply a bad batch of strings. My best advice for you is that if you don't feel confident in the first stringer, just go to someone else. In this case, it would be the second stringer seeing how his string job is perfectly fine.

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    generally there are a lot of reasons why a string would break at such a short period of time. normally i wouldn't just write it off as the stringer's fault tho i've seen a lot of bad stringers working at the badminton gyms here in my area :(

but then again like what was mentioned previously if you're not confident about the first stringer, then go to a different one. one habit that i have before i got my own machine is that everytime a string breaks i would cut it and discard all the broken strings, then inspect the racket of bad grommets and cracks/chips so that i know the exact condition of my racket. and when i take it to my stringer i would talk about the wear and tear of the racket to him before i leave the store, that way at least you and the stringer are on the same page on any discrepancies. :)

4. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Weird sound normally accompanies a weird feel which generally means the string is going to break. Mistakes happen and sometimes strings may not be perfect. You cant point the finger at the stringer but at least you should tell them what happened.

5. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I think we could account for the quality of the string by asking: who sold you the string? If the stringer provided that string, you might want to avoid that stringer altogether.