Colours : Your Shirt

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by wilfredlgf, Feb 14, 2004.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    A student who played against me two weeks ago made a remark when he muffed up a service return by returning it into the net, jokingly said, "It's his shirt, it's sooo red, blinding my eyes". A week after that, I thought, "Could it be possible that shirt colours actually have any psychological and/or physical effect on the court? I looked further back and I remember wondering if the yellow Yonex shirt worn by Jonas/Lars has the same effect as stated above when they played against Candra/Sigit during WC2003. Then I went on to wonder if red would cause one to be more aggresive, if white would make the player's shots harder to see or blue will make one more docile on the court.

I thought, if string colours 'could' actually affect one psychologically, then shirts, worn by both oneself may have some effect in the game.

Any opinion?

2. other

other Regular Member

Student
    I'm sure yellow strings will mess up vision tracking a yellow shuttle.....especially a fast swing...then it will all look a blur of yellow....yet to try it of course...UK has the crappiest selection of coloured strings possible

3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    That was the main argument to get youngsters to wear all white saying that it made the shuttle harder to see if the body was behind it whilst being struck.

White string, white clothing, white shuttle.

Lot of old cobblers!!

4. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    I think bright colors are good for me. I got two news shirts and there's no white on them, they're just bright colors. When i wore them, I felt electrified :)

5. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    Damn right ruth! I saw this Yonex shirt which was just black and red, and I imagined myself being assertive and aggressive whilst wearing it.

But for some strange reason centralsports.com took this, their best shirt, off the market, so I got my usual sombre blue version. Same old slow Al. :rolleyes:

Aleik.

6. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I was hoping that Yonex would come up with something like the Army (or Navy Seal?) color. The multicolor combat ones :p

7. Traum

Traum Regular Member

I don't think colour would have too big of a psychological effect. In a club setting, however, those who wear formal badminton attaire (jerseys from badminton manufacturers) would generally cause me to believe that they are at least decent players. Very few beginners would have the guts to wear a full set of Yonex clothing on the court.

-Rick

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The cut and sew shirts of Yonex is really attractive nowadays. Some colorways does make to opponent confused a little.

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Maybe that's why white is the official mandatory colour for private clubs and some tournaments. Taking away potential distraction and placing everybody on a level playing field.

10. noobified

noobified Regular Member

The yellow shirt and yellow shuttle concept should work, I think I may have proved it one time, but i'm not sure. If you smash fast, your opponent would have to force themself to distinguish between the yellow shuttle and yellow shirt, being a mixed blur. It would nix their reflexes.

My theory..

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Solution: focus on the little color tape on the cork. :D

If that's the truth, isn't white shirt + white shuttle might confuse ppl, too?

12. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Are you sure you can actually see the colour tape on the shuttle cork? You must be a disciple of Morpheus...

Last but not least : What's your favourite colour and why?

I like dark colours, preferably black because I like to 'blend in' to the surroundings; sneak up to the net and wait for that weak reply to pound with glee. I don't know but somehow black allows a person to become 'invisible' and are more or less 'ignored', thus making it harder to keep track.

Free. Your. Wrist.

#12 wilfredlgf, Feb 15, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  13. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
  14. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    I used to be a black, white and dark blue colored person. If anything was bright yellow or orange, I was grossed out. But now those are the shirts I'm after. When I see someone wear a bright colored yonex shirt at a tournament I immediately ask them where they got, well, not immediately, but at some point throughout the day. However, I still won't convert to bright pink (or any shade of pink for that matter) :)

15. wiers289

wiers289 Regular Member

mechanic
    Shirt colour certainly has an influence. Scientists have studied this as wel. In soccer the colourscheme's in the goalie's shirt are limited to single colour with only sponsering on them. I've read that intricate colour scheme explosions distract the strikers from scoring.
    Joop

16. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Hmm.....I only like black&white shirts.
    That is, black strips on the white shirts, and Yonex has several of these :) and I like them a lot!!

They are not that special comparing with others, but certainly "can't be wrong" colors. :)

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I used to like simple colors like white and grey. Recently, just started to love bright colors, such as yellow or orange.

Earned a new nickname "Mr. Orange" in my club. Not sure I got this because of my shirt or my body shape.... :rolleyes: :(

18. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I think its the shirts :D

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm surprised you said this. It used to be mandatory for IBF tournaments in the past but has now given way to real colours and attractive designs. The dull white does not have a great following. Yes, the IBF has to compete with the likes of tennis and table-tennis for popular TV coverage so not to lose its standing in world sports.

It is also a good identity tool to distinguish team players from different countries. As a matter of fact, the same team must wear the same colours different from their opponents'.

I would have thought that a darker coloured shirt would provide a fairer playing background for players as this contrasts better against the white shuttle feathers than a white shirt.

Having said that most of my shirts are either white, biege or part blue.

20. woop.

woop. Regular Member

I have the usual mix of whites along with various coloured shirts. However of late I've tended to match teh shirt to the colour of my hair for the ultimate in co-ordination. At the moment my hair is red, but I like to change it :)