User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to give beginners/intermediates some idea of what more experienced players do:

I'm playing badminton now for 15 years and would consider myself a relatively decent player. I do badminton-training for 5-6 hours a week (and some more hours on other sports (gym, running...)) and AT LEAST 50% of my badminton training is reserved for drills.
    In a 2h training, we usually get to playing games for maybe 45min.

Just to give you an impression of the distribution of drills vs. trainingmatches...

2. Likes Birdy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    a) not playing games is, IMO, ludicrous advice. If you're not being coached to play better in games, what are you going to do with it?

b) there are two prongs to coaching: actually making the shot, and strategy/tactics. You can only get better at the tactical side if you play games; you're not going to improve your shot selection if you're just hitting what the coach feeds you.
    Funny you should mention this. There was a guy in my club who basically practiced for the sake of becoming better at practice.

4. Likes Birdy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wingu View Post
    Funny you should mention this. There was a guy in my club who basically practiced for the sake of becoming better at practice.
    Are Japanese more process-oriented?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    Are Japanese more process-oriented?
    What do you mean by process oriented?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wingu View Post
    What do you mean by process oriented?
    i meant as oppose to result oriented. never mind, it's not important.

8. Likes Birdy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Process vs. result oriented refer to one's mental attitude towards a game.

If one is process oriented, he'd set goals for his games to improve his skills, his tactics, anything that has nothing to do with the short-term win-loss. This mental attitude usually helps a player to perform better, as he focuses on the "right" things.
    If one is result oriented, he'd be tempted to think about "what if he wins" and "what if he loses", "how many points he could score", "whether he would be first place in the event". This attitude usually distracts a player, and makes him tense. He might have difficulty focusing on what happens on court in the moment.

10. Likes Ferrerkiko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bro : I like your post , well written

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that's the case then Japanese are definitely process oriented, no doubt about that. Otherwise they would never practice as hard as they do in the clubs.

13. Likes Birdy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't process oriented focused on how you are hitting or performing whereas result oriented is the result (such as winning/losing getting better or not?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, I'm getting confused.

In either case, Japanese focus on winning through a lot of tough practice. My team plays fairly little compared to other clubs, only three compulsory practice days a week (plus free practice days where you can play games). These compulsory practice days are 3-4 hours and as a 27 year old, it's very hard to keep up with these youngsters (the active players being 19-21 years old). The club sets up goals as a team and then each and every member are required to set up their own goals as well.
    As I wrote in an earlier post here, the focus is mainly put on drills but it seems that it works well.

16. Likes Birdy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soo many long.. ambiguous answers... who has the time >.< Anyways Buddy/kid/elder whatever... Here's how it is plain and bloody simple: If your a competitive person... driven by your own ego.. Dont lie to yourself here.. DONT play games. Why..? Cuz yes.. u will go back to bad habbits in other words... do anything you can just to win a worthless game. If your okay with losing to shitty lesser players.. in an effort to try and enforce technique.. then yes play games to use what you learnt. Simple.

18. Likes Birdy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jencon13 View Post
    Soo many long.. ambiguous answers... who has the time >.< Anyways Buddy/kid/elder whatever... Here's how it is plain and bloody simple: If your a competitive person... driven by your own ego.. Dont lie to yourself here.. DONT play games. Why..? Cuz yes.. u will go back to bad habbits in other words... do anything you can just to win a worthless game. If your okay with losing to shitty lesser players.. in an effort to try and enforce technique.. then yes play games to use what you learnt. Simple.
    At my club, I am not able to occupy the court and also sometime not able to find someone to run drill with me for extended time. Most of the members just want to play games (and yes, they are trying to win the games and with the same tactics/and bad habits). They have no incentive to improve (some never stretch or warm up). I usually just incorporate the shots I want to practice/drill into the games. Some of them have only 1 tactic - hit to backhand. What I do with those players, I make sure I hit a few BH cross court drops, a few BH clears, and a few BH smashes/drives. On the next game, I would do the same with overhead forehand. The funny thing is that they continue to hit to my backhand and it is almost a drill for me.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we can use games to learn and reinforce some technique/shots. However, there are other shots that we absolutely need to learn and practice with drills before applying them in a game (e.g. footwork - more accurately "movement", and finger-palm sensation or feedback on net shots). I took up badminton lessons late in life, and the process of correcting my bad habits take a lot longer than if I don't have the bad habits. For the serious players, and those who wants to learn the right way, do more drills. I bet you that LD, LCW, PG, TD probably spent over 95% of the badminton related time on drills and gym (maybe even close to 99%).

20. Likes Birdy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by captaincook View Post
    At my club, I am not able to occupy the court and also sometime not able to find someone to run drill with me for extended time. Most of the members just want to play games (and yes, they are trying to win the games and with the same tactics/and bad habits). They have no incentive to improve (some never stretch or warm up). I usually just incorporate the shots I want to practice/drill into the games. Some of them have only 1 tactic - hit to backhand. What I do with those players, I make sure I hit a few BH cross court drops, a few BH clears, and a few BH smashes/drives. On the next game, I would do the same with overhead forehand. The funny thing is that they continue to hit to my backhand and it is almost a drill for me.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we can use games to learn and reinforce some technique/shots. However, there are other shots that we absolutely need to learn and practice with drills before applying them in a game (e.g. footwork - more accurately "movement", and finger-palm sensation or feedback on net shots). I took up badminton lessons late in life, and the process of correcting my bad habits take a lot longer than if I don't have the bad habits. For the serious players, and those who wants to learn the right way, do more drills. I bet you that LD, LCW, PG, TD probably spent over 95% of the badminton related time on drills and gym (maybe even close to 99%).
    Yeah games can be really good practice and helps you figure out what you need to work on.

However it can also be bad if you are returning back to your bad habits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me , Coaches correct me when i go for training drill , good! When come to games , when make the same mistake

23. Likes Birdy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose it's possible to get skill improvement by playing games, but it'd be inefficient. E.g. if you're interested in practicing your forehand drives. Well, you'd need to get a shot on your forehand before you can use/practice it. In real games, you'd get all kinds of shots, and small percentage of which would allow your practice.

So if one is interested in improving skills, it's best to take lessons, during which court time is reserved for you. Of interest also is the concept of "deliberate practice". Google on internet to see what it's about.

25. Likes Birdy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's also another article about how to practice. Though it's about tennis, the attitude should be applicable to badminton.

http://www.stevegtennis.com/2012/10/...s-tennis-tips/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    So if one is interested in improving skills, it's best to take lessons, during which court time is reserved for you. Of interest also is the concept of "deliberate practice".
    This is very important for everyone to read up on. I mentioned it in my first post on this thread with a rough decription of what it is, but definitely worth people looking it up and finding out as much as they can. This separates the great players from the pretenders.

28. Likes decoy liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast