Name and shame?

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by DuckFeet, Jan 2, 2014.

1. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Bought a drop weight which I was told had been calibrated but it's at least 3lb over and has cost me a couple of rackets and a few packs of string. Supplier doesn't seem interested in discussing it further other than "everyone gets different results". Shall I name and shame?

Not even an apology yet, which is a shame as they are free, so I'm not expecting compensation.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Accurate and constructive feedback is welcomed. However, name and shame implies rants and emotional outbursts. These are deemed unconstructive - such posts may be deleted depending on the content and the way it is expressed. ;)

I have broken racquets before on machines:) So, perhaps user is one factor.

We do know that different machines have different calibration. As far as I am aware (stand to be corrected), I don't know if there is an accepted standard in range of accepted tension. The markings on the lever may just be wrong as it is a factor of the quality control at the factory rather than the supplier doing the markings. (I know that's nothing to do with customer service follow up).

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/135078-no-load-spreader?p=2163518&viewfull=1#post2163518

#2 Cheung, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  3. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I think it is more of a quality control issue so I am glad I shut my mouth :) good link, I missed that post. I'll pm to follow it up.

Just annoying that I lost out. Would rather no scale at all!

I can't really be constructive, I've at least had an apology so I've asked if it is worth contacting the manufacturer. I think it's shocking to be that far out!

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as with all mechanical devices, it is very hard to keep them calibrated. usually drop weights are more simple devices but there are still mechanical friction involved during operation. cranks are even worse.

i'd suggest anyone who start using these devices, calibrate before use. and calibrate regularly afterwards.

5. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Would have been nice to hear this from the supplier. I specifically asked if it had been calibrated.

Still no help. I'll continue to avoid this manufacturer and supplier in future.

Please heed Kwun's warning! And not by seeing if a racquet can handle its max rated tension without breaking due to false tension scale. Don't take anyone's word for it either.