impact resistant racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by defje, Jan 2, 2014.

1. defje

defje New Member

carpenter
    Hi everyone,
    Im looking for a new racket that has a good impact (clash) resistance.
    In the past month i lost a nanoray 600 and a nanoray 500 due to a clash :crying:.
    Both times a partner that hit it from the back when i called the shot.
    Than i get a sry and a broken racket.
    Lost a Carlton razor too in the same year'13 (my fault).

Any advice (not other partners ;)).
    I prefer headlight or even balance and a flex or semi rigid shaft, if necessary will adjust for a stronger racket.
    Play 4 times a week and 1 (amateur tournament) a month.
    For the moment i have just a Carlton vapour trail light and need a backup asap.
    In my area i can only get Yonex fast, Carlton or Victor can be ordered.

Whats your ultimate survivor?

Greetz from Belgium

2. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I dont think there is such a thing, my Victor is built like a tank and Panda Power racquets are very strong.

Most recent yonex's have been fragile when compared to their predecessors.

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    to be honest, i always put my rackets first, so i never play with anything that i can be heart broken if it was broken in a clash. i taught myself to get used to playing with a cheaper mid range racket, a yonex carbonex 8600 titanium, and i have four of them strictly for tournaments. when i'm using something expensive or something i treasure during normal badminton sessions even in a friendly game, if a shot is coming down in the middle, i would always let my partner get them and if neither of us got it, oh well, it's just a point. and i'd rather lose a point than losing $250 to replace another racket.

i think if you actually work on your rotation better, you won't get as many clashes. i think it's just bad luck that you've had that many clashes in 2013, 2014 will be a better year :)

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i hate to say it, but i agree especially with the last part that yonex rackets have been more fragile than anything lately. maybe because the badminton circle i run with aren't hard hitters when i was younger, but i seldom see a broken racket from a clash. these days, it's almost as if it's normal that any clash will break a yonex racket, please tell me i'm wrong :(

5. defje

defje New Member

carpenter
    The Carlton took about 20 clashes the nanoray's 1?
    Is it because that there headlight, that they are so fragile?
    Would an even balance be stronger (if you can call it stronger)?
    Carlton was at 9kg both nanoray's at 11kg.
    You would say buy Carlton, but its a 40min drive and yonex is locally availble.
    Both times i pulled my racket away but was to slow (im a big guy):rolleyes:

6. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Try Gosen Ryoga series. Quite durable for me

7. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

ARC FB is the way to go...............

joke

8. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    ARC FB is out of the list

9. Lukasy

Lukasy Regular Member

Try SOTX or FZ Forza rackets. You can buy them in belgian online stores such as nico claes or avsportshop

10. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

how do APACS rackets rate in this regard, i'm curious?

11. ormy4

ormy4 Regular Member

Woven rackets are very durable and take quite the beating.

12. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    the mid and high end should be ok

13. sychong95

sychong95 Regular Member

Student
    Clash of rackets if inevitable in doubles. But you do seems to have a lot of clashes!

I think the best way is to have good communications with your partner, like which shots should be taken by who. Thus you can effectively reduce the no. of clashes. I mean just look at the international tournament doubles. Pairs do crash rackets, but you don't see them every time right?

But if you want stronger racket frames, you can just look and the maximum tension of the racket. Normally the higher tension in can withstand, the frame is more stiffer.

14. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

Rackets with carbon nano tubes

15. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Who makes such them? Even the ones from Yonex often don't survive clashes while the ones used by NASA are >100x stronger than steel, yet 6 times lighter???

#15 sautom88, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  16. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

Victor, Forza, Apacs and others.

17. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    APACS are not that durable, that is why I gave up on their rackets. The most durable APACS in my opinion would be the Slayer 99.

I owned a brand new APACS Tantrum 500 Internation (it should be their highend series of rackets). It is CANADA coded on the racket, and it was strung at 28lbs BG-65.

After a minor clash, a small crack developed at the grommets, and after using the racket with a small crack, the entire head bent and the racket was in the garbage bin....

18. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    I agree with the Ryoga rackets as being one of the most durable racket frames around..

I had my Issen, Shiden, Tenbu and Ougi strung at 26-27 lbs with Gosen R4X Momone strings, and clashes a few times in doubles, no problem.

Also to note, the Ryoga rackets has one of the most durable paintjobs I have ever seen... The first few medium hard clashes with my Ryoga, I barely have a chip on my racket, it is just he 2nd or 3rd clash, the paint chip starts to chip away...

My Shiden, and Issen were the JPN coded (Japan), and my Ougi and Tenbu were both RGSW coded (International Export), with the JPN coded racket having slightly bit more paint quality.

The problem would be the stiffness for the OP if he/she get the Ryoga rackets as they are all a bit on the stiff side...

19. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT

Since you mention about Gosen rackets, which model do you most recommend other than durable?

20. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    It really depends on your style of play and your skill level... As far as skill levels go, I would not recommend the Shiden due to the small semi-oval frame, and the extreme stiff shaft (unless you can find a second hand Shiden that has been used for long time since the shaft will loose stiffness after it bends and unbends over time)

The Tenbu is a bit hard to generate power with as it is headlight balance and the overall weight is still kind of heavy (around a 3U+ or a 2U- dry weight). Also the stiff shaft is a bit demanding as well.

I suspect the Ougi is the best "All-Rounder" racket in the Gosen Ryoga series. It is medium balanced, and the dry weight is still bit heavy for a 3U racket, and the stiffness is a bit stiffer than medium, and overall power generation is bad.

The Issen is a great option if you like head heavy rackets for its stability, and power. The shaft is similar to the stiffness of the Ougi, but has a more headheavy balance. The frame size is larger than the Ougi and the Shiden, and it is isometric giving a large sweetspot. I find this racket to the the perfect heavy heavy racket as it is not "too" headheavy (e.g. Z-Force), and because of this, defense is excellent for a HH balanced racket.

All 4 of the Gosen Ryoga rackets (Issen, Tenbu, Shiden and Ougi) has quite heavy dry weights for 3U rackets...

The RGSW coded rackets are about 0.5g-1.0g lighter than the JPN coded counterpart. But either RGSE and JPN Ryoga rackets have very durable frames and extremely durable paintjobs

(*** AHEM, I am LOOKING AT YOU Yonex NanoRay Z-Speed lol... I got a large chunk of chip and an outer carbon layer chip on my brand new Z-Speed after a medium light clash in doubles....)