Closest modern racket to the yonex Ti-8?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Adog84, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Adog84

Adog84 Regular Member

Pilot
    Hi I used to play competitively with the yonex Ti-8. I played well with that racket, and even after playing with the mp-100 for a while, I liked the Ti-8 way better. Since I have gotten back into playing competitively after about 10 years, I need new rackets. After cruising through these forums for a while, I decided to try the arcsaber 8dx, as it seemed like a pretty neutral racket that lots of people really liked. After playing with it for a bit, I am not too fond of it. It seems heavy, slow, and I can't seem to get my timing down with it. I have one Ti-8 left and I play great with it. Both are strung at 26 lbs with nanogy 95. Maybe I just need more time with the arcsaber 8dx? I'm starting to think I need more of a head light racket, as I play very quickly using a lot of wrist. Since I can no longer find Ti-8s, does anyone know if an equivalent racket that is on the market?

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    since you've tried a stiff mp100 and an extra stiff arc8dx and didn't like it much, i am guessing that you might enjoy a racket that's medium stiff? if that's the case, maybe you can test an arc7. however, a downside to this series is that it is rumored to be replace this spring. i am not sure how accurate the rumor is, but if it is true, then you'll have a problem finding an arc7 5 years down the road. i have never own an arc8dx so i don't know exactly how stiff it is but i have a ti8 and it's on the heavy side of 3u. i think the arc7 will suit you because it's medium flex and it's on the lighter side of 3u, at least the arc100(repaint arc7) i have.

a similar racket that i've recently played with that is not a yonex is the Wilson BLX Vertex.

hope this helps :)

3. TillP

TillP Regular Member

I think you should try out the Yonex Arcsaber FB
    i´ve not tried it my self.. but i guess it might be what your looking for.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Arc7 is a very good recommendation. Medium stiff like the ti8 and not too head heavy.

The arc Fb is a very different racket as well as super fragile. Totally not recommended.

5. Adog84

Adog84 Regular Member

Pilot
    Yes I agree the fb will be too different from what I am used to. All my other rackets, including my last two ti8s, are 3u weights. I will have to check out the arc 7. Thank you for the recommendations. I wish I could find the original specs of the ti8 to save me time trying to find a replacement.

6. TillP

TillP Regular Member

The old Ti-8:
    *Flex: Extra Stiff
    *Grip is 2U-G3
    *Weight: 90-94gram

The Arcsaber 7:
    *Flex: Medium
    *Grip is 3U-G3
    *Weight: 85-90gram

I dont see where these are any near by the other. You wrote that you prefer fast rackethandling. Fast = Stiffer, you will have trouble with vibrations in your racket if you dont use stiff rackets for fast handling.
    By reducing the weight of your racket you can handle it faster too. So i would prob. go for less weight instead of changing the flex.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Even though it says extra stiff, I remember it wasn't stiff at all.

uploadfromtaptalk1388898333840.jpg

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Yonex specs are all over the place. Sometimes I wonder if it just depends on the mood of the marketing guy on that day.

9. Adog84

Adog84 Regular Member

Pilot
    Tillp, my 2 remaining Ti-8 rackets are 3u, not 2u.

10. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I would go with a Voltric 70 I don't think it would weigh you down due to it being pretty light and head heavy :) but an arc saber 7 is a good choice as well. I just bought a Arcsaber I slash rated medium stiff even balance a tad on the head heavy side ish. I'll report back here after tomorrow about it, playing for 7 hours straight :)

11. Adog84

Adog84 Regular Member

Pilot
    Kwun, thanks for posting those specs of the Ti-8. The arcsaber 8dx has similar specs. Maybe I just need to play more with it in order to like it. If I play one match with the Ti-8 and then switch to the arc 8dx for the next, I feel like I have trouble immediately finding the sweet spot. When I do, I really feel the power.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is hard to compare old and new spec. "stiff" is unfortunately very variable, what yonex considered as stiff 10 yrs ago is not the same as stiff today. weight is also not very precise 89g is 3U, but so is 85g.

more on stiffness. well used carbon rackets softens over time, that's just the nature of carbon fiber. so your 8DX may well be much differ than the used Ti-8.

there are so many factors and so imprecise specifications.

just look at how yonex rates the tension range for the Ti-8. they probably just pulled that out of a hat (or from the lawyer's folder).

13. Adog84

Adog84 Regular Member

Pilot
    Good point on the stiffness scale. I'm sure my 8 year old Ti rackets are much more broken in and flexible. One thing I immediately noticed about the arc 8dx the first time I played with it was that it seemed to vibrate much more. It's hard to describe, but it didn't seem to give me that crisp solid feeling that my mp100 and Ti-8 gave me.

14. TillP

TillP Regular Member

Voltric will not help him. All named rackets here are Control and Balanced up to Head-Light so a Voltric (Head-Heavy) and power-control balanced will def. not help him.

http://www.yonex.de/_assets/images/cache/autoxauto/3251.jpg

As far as i remember was the Ti-8 near by the Arc001 in the graph.

15. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I also recommended the arc I slash.

16. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Actually I wouldn't get an arc I slash. It is hard to generate power at times on clears, back hands. Where on my Voltric vtZf seems better. The only good feature of the I slash is drives are superb, smashes are fast, net shots are good.

17. gundamzaku

working professional
    I know the ti8 is "rated" at 3u but I remember it's heavy like isometric 800/600 and they are 2u supposedly! Then again it could be that I used it as a teen or early 20s and now I'm stronger??

18. gundamzaku

working professional
    it could be the difference of the shaft stiffness that affected ur timing ?

19. gjz24

gjz24 Regular Member

I had uesd Ti8 before and I felt the NS9000 is very close to it. Hard to find it now, maybe NR800 has the similar feel.

20. gundamzaku

working professional
    i just swung my ti8(with dust all over) and my nr800 last night trying to find a current replacement of the ti8, very different. nr800 is lighter but stiffer, ti8 is heavier but more flexible...it could be because of the weight that causes the shaft to flex more?