In the zone

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by marshall, Apr 20, 2001.

1. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    I was playing doubles and went very fast to the right hand net corner to get a drop shot, which I lifted cross court to the back corner because I was in a hurry and couldn't think of anything else. I ran off the court for a step and pushed off to get back on, and that's when I entered the zone of total concentration . I looked toward the opponents' forehand back corner just in time to see the shuttle start on a flat drive down the alley. The shuttle is all I saw, not the guy who hit it. Next thing I knew the net tape was moving past my eyes and I thought "I'm moving along the net." No sensation of running at all. I checked the shuttle again and it was still flying down the alley toward the net and I kept going. Now I knew I was running so I took one more big step to get there first, and planted my left foot on the floor then saw the shuttle coming right at me so I killed it.

This state of mind has happened to me only a few times. How about the rest of you? Does this happen often? When I get like this, it's as though everything is automatic and I'm acting but not planning anything. Nothing matters but the immediate situation, and my play is the best I've ever done. It's completely unpredictable.

Does anyone know how to get in this zone? Does it happen to you?

2. Andy

Andy Guest

Are you on any medication!!!

3. marshall

marshall Regular Member

No, but if you know of some that lets me focus like that and play so well, with not after effects, please tell me what it is :)

4. neil

neil Guest

I have been in this "zone" a few times when playing a game in which i am losing heavily, something seems to click and i just cant hit a bad shot and i feel like i know what my opponent is going to do next. After the matches i sit and try and think of what i started doing differently but there is nothing there i dont remember much from when i started to play well. i dont know if this is the same as you have expeirenced but i thought i would tell you anyway. :

5. May

May Guest

Unlikely. Medication is more likely to make u tired and sleepy.

6. May

May Guest

Yeah. I do that when it comes to homework. Otherwise I won't have time to post here everyday.

7. sometimes the kill comes automatically, i mean when i get into that zone i take returns i normally can't take!!!! when i get in the zone, 90% of the time i win the point.

8. marshall

marshall Regular Member

That's what happens to me also. It comes on with no warning and ends just as quickly, usually when the situation changes.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    mashall, i think your body and mind are just entered the next level of badminton advancement where you are thinking and foreseening your opponent action and NOT thinking about your strokes & footwork which should come automatically at this level. If you experience this on and off, you r at the borderline transition phase to the next level.

:cool: er

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes! marshall. i know what you are talking about, there are times when i play, i am "not using my head". and i meant that in a good way. the shots i made are automatic and reactive, and they are so good, they surprised both my regular partner and even myself. i have experienced that a few times. but not enough times!! :p

but i think you may have touched one level higher. i have never reached the point when i have "No sensation of running at all"!

this is all so cool. we are getting close to the nirvana of badminton. yup. that's it. we have "marshalled" it. :)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

"No sensation of running at all"!

hey marshall, maybe u were levitating, just like those warriors in crouching tiger and hiddening dragon. :) I would love to achieve that kind mastery.

12. May

May Guest

hahahahaha. I don't run at all. At least, I don't feel I run at all.what's the max u can play at one time??? As in how many hrs in one shot. I can play up to 5-6 hours. U ppl don't seem to be able to concentrate long.

13. marshall

marshall Regular Member

I don't think it is mastery because I have no control over it, it's just a gift. BTW, you probably play twice as well as I do already.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How many yrs you played Marshall?

My experience of not even moving is precisely that! I don't move. (poor footwork, you see).
    The other week in a doubles match the opponents were drive/smashing like crazy at me from a mid court position. It was wierd because I was getting every thing back, and then the last shot I controlled for a flat net shot and they hit the reply in the net. Just wasn't thinking, it 'happened'! I "marshalled"..........

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

you mean 'court marshalled' :lol:
    cheung, your opponent's repetitive smashes actually helped you in tuning up your defense (like doing a drill with a game) and sharpened your smash return.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

marshall, for me, the thrilling part is executing shots that i couldn't do before. It is a great feeling for anybody to know he/she had overcomed his/her weakness, in badminton and life in general.

17. May

May Guest

who plays twice as well as u????? pls be specific.

18. May

May Guest

Yeah, that's the only time when my backhands any good.

19. marshall

marshall Regular Member

I've been playing for 4 years, ever since I accidentally saw a tournament in Maryland.

20. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Cooler. I'm sure he plays at *least* twice as well. I've only been playing 4 years.