Ditching Yonex shoes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by captaincook, Jan 5, 2014.

1. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    I find that many players switch badminton shoes for various reasons. The information is all over the the forum on different threads. It will take days if not weeks, to read through the forum to find them. Some has switched to Mizuno, Asics, or Victor etc.

If you were using Yonex's badminton shoes before and changed to another brand/models, please share it here.

I used to wear YY SBH101, and get bruise marks on my toe nail. It hurts like &**%:crying: when lunging for the drops, especially "the longest distance" (coming from overhead-backhand to forehand net). I switched to Asics gel blast 5. Since the change, my toe has been fine; no more bruising of my toe. The Asics gel blast 5 has good traction. However, both my heels and achilles tendons still hurt quite a bit after playing (usually 3 hours).

2. Superstar

Superstar Regular Member

I don't like Yonex shoes with lateral claws which is too hard for My last toe. But other model without them is good. Lining shoes is not bad but slightly heavier than Yonex. I am using both.

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i switch back and forth mainly because i want to try out other brands. i've always had yonex with lateral claws since i didn't mind the weight as well as the stiffness. however, now that i'm older i would prefer something softer and with more cushion. my first pair of non lateral claw shoes was mizuno fangs, the were very comfortable, with way softer leather and very good traction. the only down side is the wear, the toe area of the shoe wears pretty quickly. then i bought a pair of yonex shb86ex, it's a bit lighter and definitely with a softer upper shell than the lateral claw one. i still get the same support and traction but without the stiffness. currently i'm using a pair of victor sh-a850 in bright bright orange. i loooove the orange, and the toe area of the shoes doesn't wear out at all. the glue is holding the shoe very well, and the upper shell is made out of a mesh as well as soft plastic which made it really light. the only downside is that it's so soft that i don't get a whole lot of support. i semi landed on my left ankle twice since i been wearing this pair. it could be that my footwork needed help :(

4. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    I'd recommend the OP to try a model with Quattro fit - in my experience it's stopped all foot movement (been wearing SHB-01's for 7 months and just bought another pair)

No longer get mashed up toes!

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree that Yonex shoes with lateral claws are too stiff. everyone has their own preference, but after switching to Adidas BT Feather i now know it is possible to have good lateral support without having to resort to hard supports. so much more comfortable.

6. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    kwun, I tried the previous Adidas model (BT Feather Elite) and after playing in them I had pain in my achilles.

Then went to SHB-01 and the pain disappeared and then briefly back to the BT Elites, pain came back almost straight away!!

The back of the shoe is very low. I've not had them side by side the new BT Feather so don't know if they're higher....

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the new BT feather has a very distinctive higher heel, one can actually feel the heel support rising higher. so maybe they have fixed that issue.

i have had previous used a pair of Yonex that i had to add a heel support to raise the heels. otherwise i get similar issue as you did. unfortunately those gel heel support don't stay put very well.

8. gundamzaku

working professional
    ok, next pair, adidas!

9. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    To all those with leg pain issues....

Do not underestimate the power of a good customized insole. Visit a podiatrist, get your leg examined, discuss your pain issues and get a customised insole designed. You can use them inside any shoes removing the original insole. They can make a hell lot of difference. You need to try it once to believe it.

10. gundamzaku

working professional
    thank you for the suggestion/reminder! i completely agree with you on not ignoring leg pain, it's there for a reason!!!

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Had customized insoles for flat feet before. Not as good as Spenco Total Support Max insoles.

12. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Yonex cushion not so good. As I prefer Li ning. Now Li ning has tong after playing for 1 year. So switch now to Ahmad Tontowi lime green Victor. quite good comfortable.

13. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    I think the customized insoles are good in general. They are good for walking, or at work. I don't think it is designed for badminton or any other rigorous exercise ;) (repeated 3 hrs sessions).

14. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    I beg to differ. Customized insoles are designed as per individual needs. The leg pain is due to disruption of normal foot arches. I had shin pains for almost 10 years. Docs said its osteoporosis, calcium deficiency etc etc. Just after 5 points of first game, I begged for a game to get over early so that I could rest - the pain used to be so intense.

I got myself examined by a good podiatrist. He gave me customized insoles with medial elevation with some addition rubber stickers (like the ones mentioned by visor above in this thread). The 10 year pain was gone in 1 day (make it 2 to be on a safer side)! I can now play almost 8-10 games at a stretch without any pain. And I haven't exaggerated a bit!

Key is to find a good expert podiatrist rather than buying an insole directly.

15. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

I know a guy at my club that started to use SHB01M with quattro fit and he too had blisters on his small toe. Eventually, the shoes loosened and he no longer gets pain in the small toe area.

Have you tried cutting your toenails? You could also try getting a 0.5cm size larger.

I tried Babolat's Shadow 2 (2013) and it's a lot roomier for my feet, it actually makes it a little harder to move in them. Also, I might not have broken them in enough but when I stand on my toes, the material actually presses into my toes and causes some pain.

#15 phaaam, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  16. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    to be honest, I cannot find any good Mizuno or asic model for my wide feet (no, in Indonesia, they don't even carry my size, 45-46). so I am settled with reebok. they usually roomier than other brand that I tried.
    but really, if you want a good comfortable shoes, asic is usually the winner.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It goes to show getting the right shoes is highly individualised. I like the Yonex with lateral claws. Very stable.

That's why I hate it when they phase out a shoe I like!

Paroxysmal, taneepak and myself recommend custom made orthotics.

18. gundamzaku

working professional

that is very true, mizuno, while high quality, lack in size selection. i barely fit into mine. i also agree that asic is the best way to go for model/size selection. i noticed that wilson also have court shoes that are available in wider sizes :)

19. gundamzaku

working professional
    the shb101ltd from 2009 is still one of my favorites!