Aditya Joshi

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Jan 6, 2014.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Just being informed by this article:

http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/...an-to-be-ranked-world-no1-in-junior-badminton

======================================

Young shuttler Aditya Joshi from Madhya Pradesh has become the first male junior badminton player from India to be ranked number one in the world.

Aditya, 17, a resident of Dhar town, recently got the number one slot in the January rankings of the World Badminton Federation (BWF).

As information about his achievement reached his tribal-dominated town last week, the family's near and dear ones started visiting his home to greet his parents.

Aditya was at the 11th position till November, but he managed to jump ahead of all the players by achieving 18,776 points.

Aditya started playing badminton in 2001 when he was only five and very soon, he started winning in the categories above his age in the local tournaments.

Within six years, he started proving himself at the international arena and clinched the gold in Remensco Junior International tournament held in Russia in 2011. During the same year, he won a gold medal in Asian Sub-Junior championship held in Japan.

The shuttler reached up to the pre-quarter level in junior international championship held at Malasiya last year and played quarter-final of the junior world championship held at Bangkok.

His victory in the national junior championship held at Chandigarh last month made way for his top ranking.

Aditya was the national champion in 2013 and had won two gold medals in junior international tournament held at Pune and a silver in the Senior National championship while his age corresponds to junior category.

His coach Amit Kulkarni, who is also the coach of MP badminton team, expressed happiness over Aditya's achievement.

His father Atul Joshi told PTI that he and other players believe that Aditya will perform well in the coming Olympics.

His mother Hemlata Joshi said when he was very small, she had to ensure that he did not watch cartoons or get addicted to TV, for which they did not install a cable TV connection till he grew up.

======================================

Wishing Aditya Joshi all the best in years to come.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I have watched some of the videos of him. He is not the best among many junior players of india. Anyhow, congrats to him. Hope he will keep on practice hard and make his country proud. First indian of any level (seniors, juniors) to achieve this ranking !!! :)confused:)

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Harsheel DANI is also in the top 10 ranking

Well, there is another junior player from india, Harsheel DANI, also in the top 10 ranking. Only India, China and Germany have 2 Boys Singles players there (as at 02-Jan-2014).

Rank.........Country.....Player...................Member ID.....Points
    1..............IND...........Aditya JOSHI..............60649.......18776
    2..............INA...........Christie JONATAN.......73442........18630
    3..............CHN..........ZHAO Jun Peng..........95930........16490
    4..............GER..........Max WEISSKIRCHEN...84815.......16000
    5..............MAS..........June Wei CHEAM.........92796.......15483
    6..............CHN..........SHI Yuqi.....................57945.......15115
    7..............VIE...........Cao Cuong PHAM.........87628.......14788
    8..............IND..........Harsheel DANI.............85472.......14171
    9..............GER.........David PENG.................68652.......13920
    10............AUT.........Wolfgang GNEDT.........61916........13470

Link: http://bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=19832

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I would never read that much into the BWF Junior Rankings. No junior has the ability to play the same amount of tournaments as someone on the senior level. Rankings are only useful if they are made on a level playing field, which the junior ones aren't. Fair play to reaching number 1 in juniors, but just like tennis, it means absolutely nothing.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Can you imagine if BWF doesn't rank our players?

Can you imagine if BWF doesn't rank our players?

Every player would claim that he/she/they is/are the BEST.
    :):):)

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I think you may have missed the point of what I was trying to say.

What I was saying is that at junior level, there is no way of accurately determining the rankings. This is down to a number of factors such as players not playing enough tournaments, having studies to attend, not having the funding to compete etc etc.

The list at juniors is highly inaccurate, mainly because no one really cares that much. Look at those that have performed well at juniors and never made any significant impact at senior level. There are far too many for me to mention here.

Sure, these rankings can give a rough indication as to where potential there is potential for future stars, but as the points delivered for tournaments do not reflect the difficulty of some events in comparison to others, it leads to an inaccurate and misleading list of players that is altogether, meaningless.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We ought to congratulate Aditya JOSHI

Of course I understand what you are saying. :):):)

I was expecting more junior players from CHN, KOR, INA, MAS, DEN, JPN, etc, etc, ...... to be listed in the Top 10 ranking.

But on seeing players from IND, VIE and AUT listed there, I thought we ought to congratulate Aditya JOSHI for being No.1.

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Ofcourse, You are absolutely correct. Whoever may be in top position, we need to congratulate them. In this case, i could not stop myself saying about Harsheel dani who also needed to be watched in the future. I want to mention another boy M.Kanishq who is just 14 years old and had beaten these two players already . So, it proves indian youngsters are taking badminton seriously nowadays than before.

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I guess my point was proven this week regarding his highly inaccurate ranking. :cool:

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    junior ranking is rather unreliable.
    because lack of junior tournament to justify.

12. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    This is not about your point or anything . Even Aya ohori lost. Does it mean she is not talented.. What happened to over hyped He Bingjiao or Qin JInJing?? If they lost in the early rounds, does it mean they are not talented. Oh .. Come on.. :rolleyes:

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I never said he wasn't talented, only that his ranking wasn't accurate. In regards to He Bingjiao and Qin, HBJ lost to a Singapore player (probably considered an upset) however, Qin losing to Akane is certainly to be expected. Thing is, the two Chinese players are not ranked number 1 and lost to players that are around them in the "rankings"

I watched some video on Aditya at last years U19 Asian championships, and I genuinely wasn't impressed. In saying this, he beat some good Indian players at the IC event in India at the end of last year.

14. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    This happens. Sometimes, we may never know who will upsets whom. Top seed got upset by this japanese lad who is on roll already. He is now in semifinals. Infact, Aditya missed the chance of winning the match when he was in match point and lost eventually to the opponent.

May be the pressure of being number 1 for the first time in indian history. So, let's not ridicule his loss for some time and let's give him some time to prove himself to the world.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Aditya missed the chance of winning the match when he was in match point

Could someone give us the link to the tournament in question?

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    If I'm not mistaken, the reference is to the Badminton Asia Youth U-19 Championships (which concludes this weekend in Taipei).
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/tournament.aspx?id=55C6BB43-A30A-437B-84CF-731D221C723F

Aditya Joshi of India was the top seed in the Under-19 Boys Singles category (BS-U19).
    But he was beaten in the 2nd Round by the unseeded Tsuneyama Kanta of Japan.
    (The top 3 Boys Singles seeds are already out of the competition.)

As scorpion1 said, Joshi reached match-point in Game 2 before losing it and the decider.

17. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Infact, Only joshi was able to give japanese lad a good fight . He stretched that talented opponent to three games. But the japanese did not have to work hard with rest of the players. He has beaten everybody comfortably including the third seed from china Zhao Junpeng easily in two straight games(in the semifinals) and reached the finals of Badminton Asia youth U19 championships 2014.

18. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one

Third seed Zhou junpeng lost to the same Kanta Tsuneyama in the semis who upset the top seed
    Aditya joshi. This time Kanta won the match in straight games very comfortably. But Aditya put valiant fight and infact reached the match point before losing it and eventually the match. Shall i say that the ranking of Zhou junpeng is not justifiable ??.. I never say something like this .

Kanta seems to me as a brilliant player who infact after beating Aditya must have got much more confidence which paves him to move ahead of any other player since he has beaten world No.1 already.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2014 Badminton Asia Youth U19 Championships in Chinese Taipei

Thank you for the link Oldhand.

So it is the 2014 Badminton Asia Youth U19 Championships in Chinese Taipei held this week.

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Yep. It's still going on. Tomorrow is the finals.