I am lefthanded but...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by NemChua, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NemChua

NemChua Regular Member

Engineering student
    Hello guys,

I wanted to discuss a problem that i have. I am lefthanded, I write with my left hand, play table tennis with my left hand, eat like a left handed man BUT I play badminton with my racquet on the right hand. Should i learn how to play with my left hand ?
    This year, my coach saw me play table tennis with my left hand and said that i had to try to play with my left hand. When i did so, it was just impossible for me to get the shuttle, i don't even think that i can shot a clear like this and my footworks are all confused. But he said that i looked more natural playing with my left hand.
    How do i know what hand i should use to play badminton ? I have always been playing right handed since i'm 10 (currently 18).

2. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    While playing badmtn with ur right hand, which foot protrudes more as u lob n smash the oncoming birdie?

3. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I kinda had opposite before. I use right hand because I'm right hand but my footwork was like a left handed which uses his/hers left foot first to lead. I corrected it. I think you should correct it.. Kinda odd playing right handed when you're left handed...

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    After 8 years, pretty difficult to change right to left.

My daughter has it slightly different. Left hand but more natural throwing action with right arm. So trained for a while with right hand. But every so often, she will use the left hand! I asked a couple of coaches but really, looking back, not many coaches have experience of this.

Another player looked at her and thought she was more stable and stronger with her left leg lunge (I hadn't noticed this). So we tried left hand for a little while. She has good finger strength in the left hand. But she didn't like it so we are using the right hand again. A left hander coach recently had a look at her and said she is at this stage, it's now better to keep to the right hand.

Looking at her now, she's not bad with the right hand...

5. visor

visor Regular Member

^ You should encourage her to use her left. Better advantage against most players who are right handed. ;)

6. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I would say don't worry about which hand to play with. Play with the hand that is most comforting. Despite all the specs in the market, we pick a racket to play with because of how it feels when we play with it. More often than not, the racket we pick up out of several in our bags is the one that just feels natural and more comforting in games. The same should apply when thinking about switching left handed versus right handed. Do what comes natural for you.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

She's not very competitive though.

She can switch hands during a rally. :)

I agree

#7 Cheung, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  8. visor

visor Regular Member

If we all do what comes natural for us, we'd all still be using the panhandle grip. ;)

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Retro style. Look back in YouTube for the players in the 1950's and 60's.
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.