Adjusting the speed of the feather shuttle

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by catman, Jan 8, 2014.

1. catman

catman Regular Member

I watched players at a tournament adjusting the speed of the shuttle. What was confusing me was different people hit with different power right? So if I hit the shuttle to the baseline, a Pro player probably hit it a lot farther than the base line, since he/she would be much better and stronger.

So how do we setup the shuttle in such a case?

2. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I would guess the pro players playing are close enough of similar skill level so tipping the shuttle either way would suit all players on the court. In your case, if there is a large gap in player skill level, I don't know, maybe all players agree on adjusting the speed so it's in between both skill levels?

Even in the pro levels, both sides frequently never agree when a shuttle should be changed out. It's always a mind game as each side "argue" to keep the shuttle or change it.

3. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    A new birdie is basically at its fastest speed simply bcoz it's new n its feathers unruffled. Assuming the players trying to keep the speed of the new birdie somewhat similar to the previous one, they will have to do something to the feathers of that new birdie.

4. catman

catman Regular Member

Thanks, didn't realize even in the pro level they have disagreements about this. I thought there was an established convention or rule everyone followed.

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

it's in the rules:

[h=5]3. TESTING A SHUTTLE FOR SPEED[/h] [TABLE="width: 589"]
    [TR]
    [TD] 3.1
    [/TD]
    [TD] To test a shuttle, a player shall use a full underhand stroke which makes contact with the shuttle over the back boundary line. The shuttle shall be hit at an upward angle and in a direction parallel to the side lines.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] 3.2
    [/TD]
    [TD] A shuttle of correct speed will land not less than 530 mm and not more than 990 mm short of the other back boundary line as in Diagram B.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

usually, before a club match, one player of each team tests the shuttle and the ref tips all shuttles correspondingly.
    in lower leagues, players have to agree on something.
    but to me, it seems pretty standardized: i haven't argued about the speed of the shuttles in 10 years of league-play...