User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. In other words, are you saying that the real coaches probably will charge you just as much as you would get in Canada or that you will get scammed by fake coaches even if you do find cheap lessons?
    As someone already pointed out, what's your objective/expectation? Are you looking for high standard of training than what you can find locally? How do you know you'd get higher standard? Who will be training with you? Better, about the same, or weaker than you? Qualification of the coaches as players themselves and as coaches? How do they spend those 6 hours (how much are for games)? Would the training hall be overcrowded? How much of the generic stuff catering to a large group of people is what you really need yourself (but not what someone else need)? Do you really care about the sight-seeing part? Or the meeting other players part? Are you not able to find someone that can beat you locally that urges you to find challenges elsewhere/

If you've the time and money, maybe you can compare this alternative with another one in which you organize your own small group (2-4 people) and train everyday with a known good local coach. You'd know who the other teammates are, and their levels. You can have 1-2 hours of small group lesson in the morning, and another 1-2 hours of lesson in afternoon. The remaining time you can simply practice on your own. This may produce better results. And you won't be paying for air fare, and the middle-persons.
    Last edited by raymond; 01-11-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    As someone already pointed out, what's your objective/expectation? Are you looking for high standard of training than what you can find locally? How do you know you'd get higher standard? Who will be training with you? Better, about the same, or weaker than you? Qualification of the coaches as players themselves and as coaches? How do they spend those 6 hours (how much are for games)? Would the training hall be overcrowded? How much of the generic stuff catering to a large group of people is what you really need yourself (but not what someone else need)? Do you really care about the sight-seeing part? Or the meeting other players part? Are you not able to find someone that can beat you locally that urges you to find challenges elsewhere/

If you've the time and money, maybe you can compare this alternative with another one in which you organize your own small group (2-4 people) and train everyday with a known good local coach. You'd know who the other teammates are, and their levels. You can have 1-2 hours of small group lesson in the morning, and another 1-2 hours of lesson in afternoon. The remaining time you can simply practice on your own. This may produce better results. And you won't be paying for air fare, and the middle-persons.
    True, important to think about. For me, I'm still learning but I really do want to improve fast particularly having a fixed, set, or some sort of training routine rather than a routine that's random. And I originally felt that maybe budget wise rather than spending all these money here in Canada I might as well go China get better training and maybe more intense and structured training and improve faster.

I guess for now, I will mostly just keep searching for a training group .. and then go there next year or something.

Again thanks for all responses to everyone and things for me to think about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put it this way. In Australia (Melb) if ur connected you can do these type of programs also. In terms of price... when u square it all out... in my honest opinion.. unless ur doing something real dodgy i dont BELIEVE it will come out THAT much cheaper... Ur time/extra costs / etc. HOWEVER... people who seem to go on these programs, generally improve significantly, had a buddy of mine go over to malaysia for 2months do one of these programs.. train every day, he came back a lot better than me (previously at the same level) and is now in the nationals team lol. So Yeah if your keen go for it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    You are richer than your parents?
    Well, yeah haha i guesss. parents are just more stingy sometimes lol

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jencon13 View Post
    Put it this way. In Australia (Melb) if ur connected you can do these type of programs also. In terms of price... when u square it all out... in my honest opinion.. unless ur doing something real dodgy i dont BELIEVE it will come out THAT much cheaper... Ur time/extra costs / etc. HOWEVER... people who seem to go on these programs, generally improve significantly, had a buddy of mine go over to malaysia for 2months do one of these programs.. train every day, he came back a lot better than me (previously at the same level) and is now in the nationals team lol. So Yeah if your keen go for it.
    Yeah I think so too. I was thinking it'd be a great idea to train in another culture specifically china where I know the levels are much higher than Canada and would help me improve so much..
    Like going through a time machine..

But yeah I gotta be careful what I'm paying for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent four months doing the exact same thing that you are thinking about doing. However, instead of China, I went to Indonesia. I lived and trained at the Djarum Badminton Training Camp. It was by far the best training experience I have ever had. My coach back here in the US was from Indonesia, so he had contacts back there and helped me set the entire thing up. The training was intense and the coaching was excellent. I was treated as another team memeber, not as a paying guest. I lived and trained there at the facility. It improved my game, improved my fitness, and changed my entire outlook on training and playing the game. Even with it being about 14 years since I was over there, I still consider it a highlight of my badminton career. If you have any specific questions about it, shoot me a message and I will share as much info as I can.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adog84 View Post
    I spent four months doing the exact same thing that you are thinking about doing. However, instead of China, I went to Indonesia. I lived and trained at the Djarum Badminton Training Camp. It was by far the best training experience I have ever had. My coach back here in the US was from Indonesia, so he had contacts back there and helped me set the entire thing up. The training was intense and the coaching was excellent. I was treated as another team memeber, not as a paying guest. I lived and trained there at the facility. It improved my game, improved my fitness, and changed my entire outlook on training and playing the game. Even with it being about 14 years since I was over there, I still consider it a highlight of my badminton career. If you have any specific questions about it, shoot me a message and I will share as much info as I can.
    You do know how to make a person very envious....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've sort of done this so let me give you my background and thoughts. I started playing with a university team and due to good fitness levels, good attitude and good ability to use a racket from playing another racket sport for years I was able to get pretty decent pretty quickly (decent D player for US tournaments). However, I didn't really know the correct way to do anything and so consistency was a problem. Also I didn't know it at the time, but my grip was wrong and my wrist snap was what you would use for squash or racquetball. Coaching in the US was out of the question given the price and it would have been awkward being in a class with a bunch of 8 year olds.

I went to Malaysia, primarily for scuba diving, but also wanted to get some inexpensive training. I got 6 hours a day training for 3-4 days. It did help a lot, but not as much as I had hoped. I was generally not able to set my training agenda, the coaches chose what areas they felt were most important for me. Which worked out ok. There were 4 coaches Han Jian (former 1984 World Champion MS), Kristin Yunita (1992 World Junior Champion GS) and two Indonesian guys Sapto and Kecit. I didn't deal with Kristin as a student so no comment other than she was very nice and spoke good English. Sapto and Han Jian were both excellent. Knowlegeable, good English and very enthusiastic. Kecit didn't speak English really and seemed frustrated by that and therefore a bit sour, I didn't like him so much. I stayed at the gym and they took care of my meals and provided access to laundry and other necessary conveniences. Mostly I received solo instruction, but sometimes with a Scottish Junior National player. A couple times we would do stuff with Malaysian kids. All the settings were fine, but some of the drilling with kids was stuff I already knew and therefore a bit wasted.

Overall I was pleased, but think I could have gotten more out of it with more time. Also it seems it really helped my doubles game, but singles not so much. Which was the opposite of what I would have chosen. It was a good deal, but not if I hadn't been going to Malaysia anyway. Also it was brutally hot, I had already been in country and playing several times a week while on vacation so I was ok for training. If I had just gotten off the plane, I would not have been despite being in very good shape.

The place I went was Setia Badminton Academy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was thinking about such a thing, the right amount of timely training can make a lot of difference.
    i want to do it at any of the asian powerhouses or those top academies (if they'd have me ) and live there among the juniors for a few months... but have to save up (a whole lot) and get fit first. even before i get there, ive to get rid of laziness!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2