What are the names of different grips and when do you use which?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Birdy, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    I have tendency to slice the bird (unintentionally) when clearing or smashing and I was told by my coach that the slice makes the shot less crisp and powerful. I understand that so I tried to fix it and someone helped me identify where the main problem was. It turned out it was the way I was gripping my racket that caused the slicing. So he told me to grip it panhandled but make sure the face of the racket is in the same direction as the palm of the hand.

I don't know the name for this grip yet and haven't tested since I just learned of it yesterday.

So this brings me to the question, what are all the different grips out there and when do you use which?

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    This is the easiest answer possible :)
    http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/
    Essentially, for clears, you should be using a basic grip. You are correct - the racket will face the same direction as the palm of your hand, such that when you hold your racket in front (as if shaking hands) you do not see the strings (just the frame).

Good luck!

3. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

Yeah this problem unfortunately is potentially the biggest problem in the baddy population. Uhmm Yeah not much to say, you need better technque.. pan handle grip is horrible, you should be using your normal "shaking hand" grip for smashes.. the racket should face flat, just before smashing by rotating your arm. I cured this problem by practising only the last step. rotating my arm and smashing (very lightly due to the small movement) but making sure at contact the racket is flat. Sorry if this is unclear its very hard to type these type of things.

4. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the response. So you had the same problem as me? and you fixed it by being more conscious that your racket face is flat at the moment of contact as opposed to changing the grip (making sure the racket face is in same direction as face of palm?) because if you changed the grip to this way, i noticed that the racket face is already flat from the start (when you swing it)..

It is indeed hard to explain.. without seeing it .

5. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

Yeah i know what u mean, but the reasoning behind why pan handle grip is terrible is because, when you swing through the air you're cutting through it much slower therefore giving you a slower smash, and also (probably more important) you cannot focus as much energy into the shot assuming you have both techniques done correctly. Yeah, I played Peter Gade style for a long time (not at his level ofcourse ;p) where he brings his racket up almost straight away on returns, and generally cuts out the first 3-4 movements of all his strokes. yeah uhmm how to say this, try holding your racket up, facing the walls then turning it to face the ground/sky just before contact after uve practiced the last stroke as i said, and over time incoporate one or two more of the steps into your shots. I hope it helps goodluck :D