What's the purpose of the attacking clears for doubles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Birdy, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    I just came across the term attacking clear. What is it for and is it recommended for doubles? When should you make an attacking clear?

2. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Attacking clear is usually recommended for intermediate or lower doubles, due to the fact that the receipients will not be fast enough to respond w/ thundering smashes. Only occasionally used in pros mixed n women's doubles. Barely used in professional men's doubles.

Attck clears in doubles are most effective when mixed w/ deception, ie when it looks like that mid-court return shot should be smashed down or dropped (opponents expect to look n receive down/front shots) it was an attacking clear instead (fast up n backward instead). Also to wear down the weaker opponent, esp. if he is as old as I am.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Example of attacking clear?
    The shot that ends the rally that begins at 3:10, here.

4. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Sorry but that was not an attacking clear. That was an attacking LIFT.
    A clearer example will be here, @ 0.09

5. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

Generally you use it when the positions not great... deep fast into the backhand (preferably) its hard to return the shot with gusto.. and transform it into an attack (relative ofcourse). the shot can be used at any level of play.. if you hit it deep enough regardless of how good/bad your opponent is.. generally if your Defence = their attack, they will not be able to finish the point. E.g.? LYD/Jung vs Fu/Kai a deep lift, is an easy return for lyd/jung even tho fu is the biggest smasher in the game.. (relatively ofcourse), same goes with an attacking clear.

6. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

I am sorry I am a bit confused about the not-so-great positions, whose positions are u refering to? The recipient or the attacker? IMHO it is difficult if not impossible to do a good attacking clear if the attacker is not in good position.

Also, the pace of the rallies in todays games is so much faster that most of their clears are somewhat attacking clear. That is in comparison to singles games in the 80's.

7. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    Oh I see. Thanks! How would you create that deception ?

8. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the video. The quality is also really good. So an attacking clear is when it goes from the bottom to the top almost like a lift but with more power, more flat and speed?

9. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    Ahh, I see. Thanks! I didn't know there was something called an attacking lift too. Attacking lift looks useful as well :)

So an attacking clear is an upward swing to down much like a clear but with more forward motion, more power, speed and flatness ? It is used to get past an opponent.

10. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Yes, that is an attacking clear. About the attacking lift it is not common at all. That was more like a deception n a very good one too. In the beginning it looked like he was going to do a soft lift close to the net n 'changed' his mind to flicking his wrist upward to 'lift' when the recipient just moved forward a bit in anticipation.

11. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

The deception on attacking clear is only possible through strong wrist flicks to whip yr racket as u 'clear' forward instead of smashing or dropping. Moreover u need to practice on how to perform all your overhead shots with the same body posture preparation, such that yr opponent cannot anticipate by looking which type overhead shot you are going to do until the last second before impact..ie unpredictable.

12. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

Its not really deception... its diguise there is a distinct difference i believe your confusing. shorter swing movements via stronger wrists give less time to react = hence the disguise, not deception. they are different. Well by "position not great" I meant, if they do a really good deep clear.. unless your tall and a strong smasher, an attacking clear can be better. If the shuttle is mid court mid height, isntead of a drive you can go for a attacking clear also. Personally i never ever use the shot in doubles, but suffice to say, the shot is quite useful

13. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Thanks jencon13. Yes it is disguised attacking clears that can get really effective.

14. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    When someone is disguising something, isn't he practicing deception (to want others to believe certain thing that is not true)?

So what is/are the difference(s) between disguising shot vs. deceptive shot?

15. visor

visor Regular Member

i suppose disguised shots have less intent than deceptive shots

eg. smashes and slices can be disguised shots if all the stroke preparations are the same up till moment of strike

whereas deceptive shots intentionally show one shot (to purposely deceive the opponent into anticipating or moving that way) while changing at the very last instant to play in the opposite direction

the difference is the double action and change in direction

16. visor

visor Regular Member

and attacking clears are a good choice when your opponents are :
    shorter (lower reach),
    standing base closer to the front,
    older (usually mid to late fifties and up... they have slower reaction times and have trouble backing up)

but make sure your attacking clears are good, ie fast, don't go out and yet fall into the rear tramlines