Suggestions for [Head Heavy, Stiff] racket in [Victor, Gosen, Carlton]?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by drmchsraj, Jan 14, 2014.

1. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Preferences: as much HEAD HEAVY and as STIFF a shaft as possible
    Brands: VICTOR or GOSEN (I've included CARLTON just in case)

I'm posting this for an occasional 'elderly' doubles partner of mine. He's just starting out and gets careless easily. He's already had a lot of clashes, mishits, and mismanages the racket (attempt shots close to floor, drop it on the ground etc!). I think his budget is around USD 40-50$?, so he wants the cheapest one with the above attributes.

Can you exerts please suggest something that fits this profile? Thanks in advance!

2. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I don't quite understand, if he is older and just starting out, brand name as well as being HH and XS should be the last thing he should be using. What I would suggest would be any brand that is flexible and even head or light head, and low 80s to low 90 grams tops.

3. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    A beginner who's elderly and only casually plays should not be buying such a racket. It's no joke. A head heavy stiff racket will put your shoulder, elbow and entire arm through the grinder unless you train or play a lot and get some resting time in between.

Took me a while to work up even from my Victor MX80 to my Yonex VT80. I took a short break from badminton (6 months or more) and my first few games after being back, using the VT80 and my shoulder a day later is already injured lol. I'm going to use an easier, more flexible, less head heavy racket till my stamina returns.

Honestly, i'd advise against a racket of the nature you've described, at least for such a player anyway. If you must though, go with something like the Victor MX80, MX JJS or MX90, purely because they're a lot easier to manage than the alternative Yonex rackets. I think it's namely to do with the frame design. The Victor Hex and Blade designs really cut through the air nicely, they just lack a touch of the punch and hold of something like the VT80.

4. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

For such rackets in any of the preferred brands, NONE!
    Only pros uses HH + STIFF rackets n they are wayyy >$100. If u are looking for yr price range n brand range, good luck.

5. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Ah, sorry for the confusion; first off, he knows the basic strokes, but ..how do i say this.. not in the actual sense of a full, serious game? his 10yr old underwent coaching, so he hung around and did basic knocking with him when courts were vacant. he later used to watch us play and join in every now and then, and we taught him a little bit. he's a natural athlete, is in shape, plays a variety of other such skill oriented games, super sharp, good presence of mind, great sense of placement, killer instinct etc.

Needless to say, he caught the baddy fever (don't you all remember how it was when we first got that feeling?! :)) and wants to start sparring alongside us fulltime (semi-serious; say, at our 60% efficiency). He's good at the net but wants to improve his variety of strokes and learn all aspects of the game. He's surely got potential so for the time being, he wants to focus on his smashes and power game exclusively. maybe it's his playing style or how he handles the racket or makes his strokes, but he's at his best (reliable, consistent, accurate) and gets good results with our stiff/HH rackets! he doesn't feel comfy with flexy/light rackets at all...and his game totally tanks. (he has thick hands and raw arm/shoulder power); i understand the point you guys are making - i myself am not so good with them, middle/all-round rackets serve me well and are suitable technique-wise, but for some reason he takes to HH/stiff naturally!! *shrugs*, so we thought that'd suit him well for now, till he can hold his own...if he feels they're too much for him, he will let him get a bat as is suggested here.

whew, long read! so that's the backstory, guys. now let me modify my question: Which ones, in your opinion, would make a good head heavy, stiff racket (compared to other basic ones, in that price range (<50$))? thanks for your patience and time :)

#5 drmchsraj, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    like the rest have mentioned, it's really not a good idea to get a head heavy stiff racket, but hey, who am i to judge :) anyway, it's very hard to find that spec in rackets that are within your price range. point is, if one is to spend that kind of money on a racket, most likely it would be someone who's a beginner and also someone who's not an expert on the game itself, now mind you that this is only my assumption, so it is safe to say that there is no need for those to ask for such specs in these "low-end" rackets. the closest racket i can think of would be a low end voltric that's 3u, and head heavy, but the shaft is not going to be stiff but possibly medium. i have a 2012 voltric 3 olympic color version and it's very flexible. i also bought my dad a voltric 9 and that's stiffer, but it's a racket priced at $150USD. i currently am playing with a victor bravesword 8 and it's pretty stiff for me, with a slightly head heavy balance, on sale for $120USD at racket supply. the only reason why i got it was because it was on sale, usually it's more than that! sorry, but i can't think of any that suits your specs requirement and falls within the price range. if there is such thing, i would love to know and get one to try it out, afterall, breaking a $40 racket beats breaking a $240 racket in my opinion :)

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

This is the only one I could find that fits your profile.

Victor rates this as stiff and head heavy http://www.victor-sport.co.uk/page/products/rackets/g-7500.php

And here it is within the budget
    http://www.badmintonwarehouse.com/Victor_G_7500V_Badminton_Racket_p/rv7500.htm

8. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Thank you, will check those out. What about the super waves series?
    Any such features available in gosen on carlton?

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

(that I can see)
    Carlton - Carlton Vapour Extreme Force Badminton Racket is stiff hh, about £35 uk. If you see it in US it might be in budget.[h=1]
    Victor -my above post I was actually surprised to find that spec racket by a brand at that price, That's all there is.[/h]
    Gosen - I personally can't see anything available for under $100 never mind HH & stiff.

In answer to your modified question the yonex voltric 80 is an amazing racket with those characteristics, compared with an under $50 racket. Think it's $200+ (at his level will this racket be amazing for him over that victor one? probably not.)

There are loads of head heavy stiff rackets out there if you up the money but everyone will give you a different opinion about them. I have tried a couple of the high end victor BS and did not like them, felt cheap and way less solid than say a VT80, others apparently prefer that feeling.
    He either got to try the rackets or just take a punt within a price & spec range.

10. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

Are you trying to punish him for clashing, and being careless with his racket? :p *just kidding*

11. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

Hey, by the way I just "discovered" today my Carbonex 8800 Power is head heavy and stiff, and its at the low end of the price range. I think you can consider that as an option if its available where you guys are.

12. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

/\ /\ medium flex

13. gundamzaku

working professional

superwave35 is head heavy and very stiff, the one store that this racket is available is racket supply in northern california, they stop selling it in HK at least as i have looked. racket supply only has the 3u left so it's gonna be heavy too, enjoy.

14. gundamzaku

working professional
    it's weird tho, most of my low end carbonex's have been rated at medium stiff, but upon flexing it in person, it's a lot more stiff than say medium stiff of an Arc7, even my coach said it's definitely leaning toward stiff.

15. ejunk1e

ejunk1e Regular Member

I would tell your friend to wait a little while until voltric z force 2 comes out and get a used voltric z force. I am sure there are some, if not many that want to sell their z force to buy voltric zf 2. If he wants a very head heavy and stiff racket. There is nothing that can beat voltric z force in that class. Just do not forget to tell him to strech that shoulder and wrist before go full throttle :D

16. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    For $40-$50? Not a chance.

17. ejunk1e

ejunk1e Regular Member

That is a really low budget. It is hard to get a good sword at that range.
    A used z force is going to cost you around a hundred.

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

100 dollars? not a chance

19. gundamzaku

working professional
    depends on how well used.......if it's gone thru many many string jobs and the owner really didn't care about the condition, maybe? :)

20. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Ok ok, but a used Zforce market value for US is not $100. I was just copying the guys wording before me:p . The point is it is slightly bad information stating used zforce costs that because it would be a rare buy.