Bruising

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Steve the noob, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

I got another problem now, the bottom side on my thumb towards the middle between the thumb and the index finger is bruised. This has to do with my gripping of the racket. I'm using the correct grip, but when I smash, I think I hold the racket too tightly or something about my grip changes. I don't know what the problem is, so I'm limited to about 2 hours of play before too much pain, and about 1 week recovery. Then repeat.

Anyone have any suggestions? Before saying, 'use proper grip', know that the grip I use when smashing is much like a subconscious action, I go into the smash with the correct grip, but somehow end up with something else.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Relax the muscles after smashing?

3. visor

visor Regular Member

don't smash so much? ;)

btw you only need to tighten the grip at strike... otherwise it's a loose grip at all times before and after... almost loose to the point where you can spin the racket in your hand if you wanted to

#3 visor, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  4. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Also, another question. If I have a big hand do I use more grip? As in more layers or larger grip size.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Everyone has a different preference, but my understanding is that when you squeeze your hand real tight on the handle (eg. smash), your 3rd and 4th fingers should just barely touch the base of your thumb, if you're using the right grip size.