Badminton/Thomas-Uber Cup: Easy Sri Lanka, now for crucial Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by ants, Feb 18, 2004.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    MALAYSIA geared up for the crucial Group B tie against Hong Kong with a thumping 5-0 win over Sri Lanka in the Thomas Cup Asian zone qualifying round at the Kuala Lumpur BA (KLBA) Stadium in Cheras yesterday.
    Malaysia need to beat Hong Kong today to confirm their berth to the final round and the Sri Lanka tie was an ideal warm-up for the players. Wong Choong Hann, playing in his first competitive match in almost two months, secured an easy 15-7, 15-0 win over Niluka Karunaratne in 25 minutes. Lee Chong Wei, also playing in his first Thomas Cup campaign, had no problems with Ravindra Kumara when he registered a 15-0, 15-1 win in the second singles. In the third singles, debutant Kuan Beng Hong took just 15 minutes to beat Niroshan John 15-1, 15-2. Lee Wan Wah-Choong Tan Fook cruised to a 15-3, 15-2 win over Niluka-K. Chameera to give a 4-0 lead. However, Gan Teik Chai-Koo Kien Keat had first time jitters despite their 15-6, 15-5 win over Duminda Jayakodi-Tushara Edirisinghe and there is a possibility they might be rested for the tie against Hong Kong today. Doubles coach Yap Kim Hock said that Teik Chai-Kien Keat were putting unnecessary pressure on themselves due to lack of experience. "Teik Chai-Kien Keat were not relaxed although the score did not reflect their performance. They can do better than this and it was a good lesson for them," said Kim Hock. "Wan Wah-Tan Fook have the advantage over Hong Kong pair Albertus Susanto-Liu Kok Wa and should win. "I am not trying to put pressure on them but in case if Choong Hann does not deliver in the first singles, their win will restore confidence of the team. "However, I feel the singles players should be able to contribute points and I am looking forward to a very good performance from both doubles pairs.

"I have a feeling that Hong Kong might field Zheng Yumin and Tam Lok Tin as they second pair and we must go with our strongest and most experienced." Kien Keat-Teik Chai is expected to be replaced by the more experienced Chew Choon Eng-Chang Kim Wai as Yumin, a former Chinese international, has more experience. Yumin and his former partner Huang Zhangzhong were a top five pair in the early 90s but the former retired after suffering a heart attack on court during a grand prix tournament in 1994. Choong Hann is also optimistic of giving Malaysia the first point but will not take Ng Wei for granted in the first singles. Although the Malaysian has never lost to Ng Wei in four meetings, their last two matches in the 2002 Busan Asian Games went to three games. "I want to win the first point for Malaysia but it will not be an easy match. Ng Wei is a fighter and I will not treat him lightly," said Choong Hann. "We should win the match but all the players should be ready to battle it out. It is not going to be an easy match." Roslin Hashim is likely to be fielded against Agus Haryanto in the second singles while Chong Wei will meet Johan Hadi Kusuma in the third. RESULTS: Malaysia 5 Sri Lanka 0 (Wong Choong Hann bt Niluka Karunaratne 15-7, 15-0; Lee Chong Wei bt Ravindra Kumara 15-0, 15-1; Kuan Beng Hong bt Niroshan John 15-1, 15-2; Lee Wan Wah-Choong Tan Fook bt Niluka Karunaratne-K. Chameera 15-3, 15-2; Gan Teik Chai-Koo Kien Keat bt Duminda Jayakodi-Thushara Edirisinghe 15-6, 15-5).