Managing Injuries and Pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by SmashAndDash, Jan 17, 2014.

1. SmashAndDash

SmashAndDash Regular Member

Whether you play badminton recreationally or competitively, injuries happen. However, there are ways to minimize the amount of injuries and pain from badminton.

Note: As posted in the forum disclaimer, it is always best to seek a medical professional's advice. The following advice is given in the context of managing a diagnosed injury, or reducing pain from soreness/exertion. I am NOT a doctor, so please take this advice with a grain of salt.

Tips to Prevent Injury:
    1. Always warm-up and stretch properly.
      • ​A proper physical warm-up should make you break a sweat. If you are not sweating, you should warm up some more.
      • Having stiff, tight, or otherwise inflexible muscles may lead to injury. Flexibility tends to decrease with age, so you should take an active approach to flexibility. There has been recent controversy over static vs. dynamic stretching, but in general, stretching is better than not stretching.
      • When warming up on the court, start with easier shots (like drives) before moving onto shots that require more physical exertion (like clears or smashes).
      • Example warm-up:
        • Light jog for 3-5 minutes (transition from a brisk walk to a light jog over a longer period of time if you are recovering from injury, or are very unfit).
        • Stretching routine: Rolling wrists/ankles, arm circles to warm up shoulders, forearm circles, slow trunk twists, knee circles, static stretching of the arms, shoulders, quadriceps, hamstring, calves, back, etc.
        • Light footwork for 3-5 minutes
        • Hitting warm up: drives, net shots, drops, clears, smashes.
    2. Wear proper attire
      • Wearing shoes not meant for badminton, or shoes that do not fit well can lead to injury.
        • Shoes should fit well and not need a "break in period"
        • Shoes should be designed for badminton, or at the very least, be designed as an "indoor court shoe"
        • Proper shoes will give you the correct type and amount of support for badminton
      • Wearing proper clothes for exercise prevents overheating
        • Depending on where you live, overheating while playing may be a concern. Hydrating properly and wearing loose clothing will help prevent overheating.
    3. Know your body
      • Be aware of your own limits
        • If you are recovering from an injury, protect your body properly with braces/supports, and ease back into badminton slowly
        • If you are unfit, do not push yourself too hard. Exercising too hard, too soon puts strain on your body. If you are trying a new activity, and feel faint or dizzy, you should stop and take a break.
      • Stop playing if you are injured
        • Be aware of what type of pain is okay, and what type of pain may mean injury
          • Feeling muscle burn during exercise, or muscle soreness after exercise is normal.
          • Feeling sharp pain in joints, irregular or moving pain, pain during certain movements or positions, or pain that lingers >2-3 days usually means injury
    4. Always cool down properly
      • Cooling down is like warming up, but in reverse
      • The key points behind cooling down is to ease into resting slowly, and to stretch
        • As long as you don't go from all out singles to lying down in bed, you should mostly be okay for cooling down
        • A nice cool down is to walk a few laps around the gym before stretching
        • Static stretching after exercise will help you maintain flexibility (which will prevent injury)

Managing Injuries/Pain
    P R I C E: Protection Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation
    After playing, it's a good idea to put the above into use for any sore or injured areas.
    Protection:
    • Protect the injured area using a brace/support
    • Avoid bearing weight on the injured area
    Rest:

• Self explanatory
    • If pain lingers after 2-3 days, seek advice from a medical professional
    Ice:

• Icing helps reduce swelling and inflammation, and can help numb pain
    • If you don't have regular access to ice, there are shelf stable ice packs available that work by combining chemicals that go through endothermic reactions (Instant cold packs). These may be handy to keep in a badminton bag for sudden injuries, though they may "pop" prematurely if stored wrong.
    • The time you spend icing an injury depends on the thickness of the tissue around your injury.
      • 10-20 minutes is usually enough, and you should stop once the area feels numb
      • You can ice the area again after an hour or so has passed (skin should be warm to touch, and be able to sense pressure/touch normally)
      • Icing an injury is usually only effective for ~ 2-3 days after injury
    • Method 1: Ice Wrap (Low effort/Attention Needed)
      • Fill a small ziploc bag 3/4 full with ice, and some water (Alternatively, use a gel ice pack, instant cold pack, or bag of frozen vegetables)
      • Place the ice bag inside a thin kitchen towel
      • Use the towel to wrap the bag firmly to the injured area, and secure with a thick rubber band. (Make sure there is no ice-skin contact, there should be some fabric between the skin and ice)
    • Method 2: (Some attention needed)
      • Freeze water inside a paper cup
      • "Unwrap" the paper cup so some ice is exposed
      • Rub the ice over the injured area, so the ice melts
      • Unwrap the paper as needed for more ice
      • Make sure that you are constantly moving the ice, and not allowing it to sit in one spot
      • You may want to have a towel underneath the injured area to mop up any drippings
    Compression:

• Compression usually helps prevent swelling in an injured area. Combining compression with ice is usually very effective at managing swelling and pain.
    • Depending on the area affected, you may be able to use a compression bandage to apply compression to an injury
      • Compression bandages are sometimes referred to as ACE bandages and can usually be found in drug stores (at least in the States, I'm not sure about their availability elsewere)
      • You may be able to get a similar effect by wrapping the area tightly with fabric, though I don't recommend this.
    • Wearing "compression" clothing may help recovery
    • ALWAYS stop compression if the area farther away from the heart turns blue/purple, or feels cold to the touch
    ​Elevation:

• Elevation helps drain fluid away from injured areas, which reduces swelling
    • The injured area should be elevated higher than the heart
    • Using pillows, blankets, etc at home can help achieve this
      • In a tournament setting, you can elevate your legs against a wall between matches for the same efffect

Quick note on painkillers:
    Aspirin vs. Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) vs Acetaminophen/Paracetamol (Tylenol)

I tried to use common drug names above, but as I'm from the US, the actual names may vary in different countries. The first name is the drug name, and availability may vary depending on where you live.

• Acetaminophen is not effective for muscle aches/ injury pain, because it does not have as much as an anti-inflammatory effect. Overdosing on acetaminophen is damaging to the liver, and the drug should never be mixed with alcohol.
    • Aspirin is the oldest of the three painkillers (derived from willow bark, now synthesized artificially). It is an NSAID, or non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. While it is effective at reducing muscle aches/pain, care should be taken when using it, as it is a blood thinner. Aspirin is also very hard on the stomach, much harder than ibuprofen. A safer way to take aspirin is by using a topical cream that contain aspirin (the listed active drug is usually methyl salicylate), though it is not as effective.
    • Ibuprofen is also an NSAID. It is effective for muscle aches/pains, and is not as hard on your stomach as aspirin. However, it is still rather hard on the stomach, and should be taken with food.

Summary: For muscle aches/pain, use ibuprofen. Of course, read the drug label and follow the instructions. Do not take ibuprofen if you are allergic to it.

I hope this helps! Feel free add more information, ask questions, or correct me if I'm wrong anywhere!

Minh Vu likes this.
  2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    why is this thread not a stickie??

3. frederic

frederic Regular Member

Pharmaceuticals
    Injuries are most common in any types of playing. I want to suggest you to be careful during your playing. Management of injuries depend only on your carefulness.

4. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    I put in also some yoga and stretching to my exercise in the week.. I am a bit overweight and bulky, and notices that these routine helped me out in many situations where I have to strech out my body to reach shuttles in hard position without pain.. It doesn't have to be a hard routine.

5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    always warmup, I also do the Moslem prayer (sholat) movements in play, Helps my breathing and easing the elbow-shoulder, also the ruku and sujud for easing the hips and deliviring blood to the head.

And I always have physiotherapist avalilable to help with injuries, as our institution has a physiotheraphy department.
    The thing abot overheating is also a major problem, here in Banjarmasin, it's very near the equator, very hot and damp (there are swamps and rivers everywhere), so I must drink properly. Can empty a 1.5 L bottle for a session

Know the limits, if I can't play either injured or tired, that I won't play unless I get a rest, or just play within the limit allowable

6. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

Thank you for the prevention tips. I wanted to know about the symptoms that indicate a major injury and require treatment from a doctor.

#6 toddchaney, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  7. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

Referring to symptoms alone can sometimes be misleading and therefore if the injury is attended medically very late, further complication could happen. Obviously if the clinical presentation of such injury sustained is very clear e.g. massive swelling with haematoma, extreme pain with joint disalignment due to dislocation and then such injuries urgently requires medical attention.

However sometime a grade one ankle sprain (with mild pain and no swelling) can be a nagging long term issue as well and therfore as far as referring to any form of sports injury is concern, it is just better to seek a doctor for an advice and opinion so that a clear understanding about the correct diagnosis and management about the injury sustained can be established so that further serious conplication can be prevented

Other then knowing the true clinical facts about the nature of the injury sustained, the other important benefit about seeking an early medical opinion and treatment is that you can have a more comfortable and reassure set of mind about the nature of the injury in case if there is any doubt about it.

SS

#7 shooting stroke, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  8. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

Shooting stroke, thank you for the information. Hope it helps in treating the injury.

9. tommypress

tommypress Regular Member

Yes......you are right. Stretching is one good exercise and it won't require much effort. Yoga is perhaps the coolest training technique for mind.

10. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin New Member

Very useful article ! Thank You so much

11. Glacian Alexander

Glacian Alexander New Member

Hey . I want a suggestion I am using Astrox 99 LCW it’s an head heavy racket , I got a rotatory cuff injury while playing , and when returning home I used to do some strengthening exercises with my resistance band , then it feels better . The next if I play I get the pain again . I don’t Know what’s the cause is it a racket or my tension because I have it on 26 lbs . Or should I go for even balanced or headlight rackets or change my racket tension. Your suggestion will be great to improve.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Are you using 3U or 4U version?

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk