User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Accordaz, how is your knee doing now using the DIS method? How much is the cost for this new method?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi
    Thanks for asking My healing process is doing well! I was able to walk very very easily without hinking. Walking upstairs or downstairs was no problem at all. I was almost that fast as the day before the injury.
    Why "I was able"? Because the day before yesterday and yesterday I have suffered something like a little throwback. The knee was hurting when I was walking. I was hinking as well! That was kinda unbelievable because I was walking that easily for the last 2 weeks
    Today I went to the physio again and my therapist told me that it is common that there are throwbacks in the healing process. No need to stop or make a pause, she told me.
    And today my knee really doesn't hurt that much like yesterday. I also was able to do the exercises. *phew* Too much fear for nothing

The healing process plan for a week looks like this:
    - 1 appointment with the physio therapist (for the first 7 weeks 2 app. / week)
    - 1 aqua running session at 45 min - Honestly I don't like it at all
    - 1 fitness session at gym with all the recommended exercises - honestly I could and should do more than 1 session per week

To go more into the details how far my knee can be stressed now:
    I can fully stand on the leg where the knee was injured. I can go upstairs with heavy weight.
    I could run very slowly, but didn't try it yet. My therapist didn't recommend that. That's why I'm doing aqua running now, it's less wearing for the ACL. On the other side the doctor which repaired my knee has told me I could start running 1km. I prefer the defensive mindset in my healing process. Rupturing the ACL again is probably the least I want.
    What about jumping? I didn't try it out. I basically don't do things which my therapist hasn't allowed yet.

Your question about the costs: I absolutely don't know how much it is. People living and working in Switzerland are usually insured against any injuries. Therefore the insurance of my employer will pay all of it. The physiotherapy as well.
    I really can say that I'm lucky to have such a good treatment which can't be said in every country.
    Maybe it helps when I tell you how long I had to stay in the hospital? The operation duration was pretty exactly 45 minutes. I had a subfield narcosis before. After the operation I stayed 2 nights (only). After the first (horrible) weekend (with a lot of pain) I immediately started my physiotherapy, since it was highly recommended. And I'm thankful for this. The earlier you start with the physiotherapy after the operation the better and faster your knee may heal. Please notice that this statement only counts for the new DIS method (with ligamys).

Also remember: This DIS method only can be used if the injury is not older than 3 weeks. Early treatment right after injury is recommended. If the disruption of ACL is only a few days older than 3 weeks, you may ask the doctor anyways. It could be that they will decide the method right in the operation room, when they can rate the status of your ruptured ACL.
    Last edited by Accordaz; 07-09-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did the doctor say when you can start playing badm again? The usual time frame is about 9 months. Is the DIS method going to be faster?

When did you exactly do the surgery?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I already stated in my first posting, I will probably be able to play badminton 4 or 5 months after the surgery. Yes, with this DIS method the healing proccess should be faster.
    The big difference is already visible in the beginning of healing process, since it was recommended to do physiotherpy from day 1 right after the surgery. And the other big difference is that I still have my original ACL. I don't have any plastic thing or any fibers from another body part.
    Maybe someone else here who has been operated with the traditional surgery for ruptured ACL can tell about his healing process in detail and compared with mine here?

May I ask you why you ask that specific? Did you also ruptured your ACL?

by the way: I'm still not able to fully stretch / extend my leg while standing. And I'm also not able to flex it completely yet. I hope these things are getting better soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I have a total tear of ACL in Aug last year. Did my ACL reconstruction on 30 Dec. I did a double bundle double tunnel recon using my hamstring. Also started physiotherpy on Day 2 after surgery. So, you can compare yr recovery with mine coz I did the conventional way.
    I am also curious to know the new method.....

My progress has been good. Physio twice a week. I started playing slowly at 4 months post surgery. Now I am playing much faster & better but still a bit cautios. I am 6.5 months post surgery now......

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The disaster has just happened to me last week, attempted an overhead smash while jumping sideways and I landed on my left leg, seemed like my left knee was locked. I can feel like bones were slipped off a bit and went back popped in. Instantly, I felt a massive pain.
    I went to hospital but they only did Xray which didn't show any bone fractures, then I went to the orthopedist to check further. He was pretty sure that the ACL is torn and probably the meniscus as well but he needs to confirm after I proceed with MRI for further details.
    Now, I'm still waiting for the MRI schedule on Friday with my swelling knee. Hopefully, I could get away from surgery as I know my housemate had the similar situation and managed to recover through physiotherapy and rehabilitation exercises. Took him almost 2 years to get fully recovered and resume his Taekwondo routines.
    Last edited by quixilver; 12-10-2014 at 04:09 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd recommend waiting until the swelling subsides before going for the MRI as it may complicate the imaging process.

I'm almost 3 weeks post surgery on my left ACL. Can walk albeit with a limp due to some left over swelling but it's getting better daily. Can only do post op exercises for the next few weeks though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Renmazuo27 View Post
    i'd recommend waiting until the swelling subsides before going for the MRI as it may complicate the imaging process.
    A bit difficult to wait since it's still swelling after a week.
    Did you go for Arthroscopy or a normal open surgery?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine was swollen for a couple of weeks. Which was strange as it started swelling up 2 weeks after my knee gave way.

I went for arthroscopic surgery

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MRI shows my ACL is gone and I have damaged medial meniscus. Doctor suggested to go for reconstruction surgery and yesterday I went for pre-surgery physiotherapy to get my knee in full range motion before the surgery. My physiotherapist said, the range of movement before surgery will reflect the result of the surgery.
    I was quoted about $25k for this surgery with additional $3k if I choose to get a donated graft.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow sounds like you've done a lot worse damage than me. I had ruptured my left ACL and partially torn my LCL. I didn't quite regain full range of movement before surgery but it was enough for him surgeon to go ahead,

25k is a staggering price! Is this in AU or overseas?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry forgot to mention, it was quoted from a doctor in Singapore. How much the cost in Aussie? Does an Aussie PR get subsided there?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it does. My private health care covers such operations, thus i only had to pay $200 excess instead of 4-5k if i didn't have health cover.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, my cousin suggested to do surgery in Aussie since I'm a PR there and I have a medical insurance plan covers overseas treatment as well. He said, doctors in Aussie are more experienced in terms of sports medical treatment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree with your cousin.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quixilver View Post
    MRI shows my ACL is gone and I have damaged medial meniscus. Doctor suggested to go for reconstruction surgery and yesterday I went for pre-surgery physiotherapy to get my knee in full range motion before the surgery. My physiotherapist said, the range of movement before surgery will reflect the result of the surgery.
    I was quoted about $25k for this surgery with additional $3k if I choose to get a donated graft.
    What is meant by 'donated graft'?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    What is meant by 'donated graft'?
    It's an allograft tissue, taken from another person (deceased donor) to reconstruct the torn ACL.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast