How many coaches are allowed?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by greblu, Jan 20, 2014.

1. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    When I watch videos of pro players I always see one or two coaches sitting on their chairs.
    In international youth tournaments I sometimes see even three coaches discussion their tactics.
    Is there any limit of how many coaches are allowed to support a player?

Can someone link the rules of coaching?

2. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Hm, I've been looking around and realized it does not specifically state anywhere in any of the rules about the maximum # of coaches a player can have on their side. (This further proves my point that the rulebook is quite lacking imo).

But as an umpire, I will tell you that the maximum number of coaches a player can have on their side (either seated, or during intervals, coaching them), is 2.

3. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

As a player I can tell you that the ref only allows for 2 coaches. Don't know the rulebook...

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    While there is no number specified in the rulebook, it is implied that the number of coaches allowed is restricted by the number of designated coach allocated as the rulebook did state that coaches are not allowed to be standing and must be seated during play.

I guess if the tournament director decided to put 4 chairs each at the end of the court, then it means up to 4 coaches are allowed but I doubt that would happen. At the Canada Open tourneys that I've gone to and volunteered in, there is usually only one chair allocated and I don't recalled seeing more than 2 chairs allocated.

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i forgot which tournament but it was one where gillian clark was commentating on specifically about how LYB stepped onto the edge of the court to convey a message and it wasn't allowed because there's more than 2.

6. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

i've asked a higher official this, and they thought about it and said '2, but the referee has final say in it'. at a local sub-regional/province/(or 'district') level match i was part of the organizing team, they had provision for only 1 coach, max (but it could be because it was a low level event with barely enough funding to even accomodate enough chairs?).