Richmond baddy scene... at Cambie

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by cappy75, Feb 19, 2004.

1. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Just wondering if you have seen the latest schedule for Richmond Recreation centers on their website. There's a "Nightshift" session for 13-18 years old players that runs from 10:30pm to 1:30am on friday nights at Cambie. Just wondering if it's a misprint on the age requirement and if anyone has more information on that session. Thanks!

#1 cappy75, Feb 19, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  2. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    The NightShift have been ongoing for almost or over a year now as far as I can remember, although I m not sure about the age requirements, most of the people I seen there are teens or are pretty young..I would say below 30?...

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey SmashingBird,

Thanks for the reply! That schedule would seem more suitable for adults, but I digress... I do hope to check out Cambie on a friday night, however, I also hope that they're not too strict with the age requirement as I haven't been in that age group for many years now:D. Do you know who runs the session there?

4. SmashingBird

They will probably let you in, if the stated age is 13-18 and I m sure I seen people well over 18 there. The nightshift is run by the communittee center, you just pay at the front desk and who ever is there will just take your money and you can sign in.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

That's great! I will check it out this friday night. Is it usually busy? And how's the level of play there?

6. SmashingBird

Yeah...is usually hella busy, I suggest you go with a few friends and get there ealry because the courts are usually full, and one of the problem is there is no moderating, so basically you have to ask people to get off the court and this will be base if they co-operate it or not.

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hmmm... don't know if I could round up some friends for Cambie, it's too late for some of them. Also, I don't want to trouble them if the age requirement is strictly enforced. I will come by and check out the gym myself for tomorrow anyway, and I will stay and play if feasible. Thanks SmashingBird!

8. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Be forewarned that the floor at Cambie is pretty slippery. But as long as you have a great drop shot, you can count on winning a whole bunch of points from that alone! ;)

-Rick

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Ugh! That really sucks. I don't want to slip_N_slide all over the place. My knees and joints won't forgive me for that. Slipped for the first time while playing in my Mizunos (I never had any traction problems with them) when I played at Marpole-Oakridge... not gonna go back there. Don't really want to revisit that painful memory:rolleyes:. Anyway, thanks for the warning Rick:)!

10. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Cambie primarily have 3 gyms. The one that you enter directly from the community center isn't that bad. But the other two are absolutely terrible. Unfortunately, the decent gym is also the smallest one (with one 4 courts). The slippery gyms have 6 or 8 courts each.

-Rick

11. Joo Bong

Joo Bong Regular Member

Play with your cross-trainer, don't play with your indoor shoes. :D

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Doesn't matter what you wear... if the floor sucks, there's no traction for any kind of footwear. Hmm... maybe I should dust off my 'old' YY SHB 89M just for tonight:D.

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey Guys,

Just dropped by Cambie at 9pm, had a chat with reception and they are strict about the age limit:(. So, I guess that's one less place I have to worry about:). Anyway, thanks for all your help folks!

Ming

14. Acekiller

Acekiller Regular Member

Student
    Cambie gym is not slippery at all.... unless you compare to clearone.

15. PrinceOfBMT

PrinceOfBMT Regular Member

Umpire
    slippery???cambie's floors slippery?wow i guess all u guys must be world ranked players or sumthing~coz i sure as hell dun think cambie has slippery floors,dun know where the hell u guys r comparing to~but for a high skool cambie's gyms is pretty good
    :worship: u world standard players

16. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Personally I think Cambie gym is one of the better gyms around as far as playing surface and surroundings. If you are playing in the other gyms where the painted basketball keys cover half the badminton courts, I would agree that it poses a bit of a problem, but the main gym has a very good surface - compared to other centers like Britannia, other schools.

lately, even the vrc floor has been quite dusty and slippery. i think there is minimal sweeping, and I have also noticed that there are some players that play with noticeably dirty shoes.

17. Traum

Traum Regular Member

At Cambie, I agree that the floor at the main gym is pretty decent. However, the same cannot be said about the side gym and the Cambie highschool gym. When I used to play there a few months ago, the first two steps I take can hardly get myself moving because I am sliding so much. I haven't been to Cambie for a while now, so the situation might have changed a bit.

For VRC, I was playing there as a guest this past Friday. The wooden floor was in awesome shape, and there was tons of traction. I guess the janitorial stuff must have gotten their act together?

-Rick

18. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    They must have known you were coming, and cleaned up. :p

19. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    As a matter of fact, the janitorial stuff was cleaning up the courts as Rick, Rich He and us were pounding hard on the birdies. :)

20. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I've never gone to the night sessions but I have gone during the adult sessions from 11:45am to 2:30pm Monday to Fridays. The level of play is fantastic and very competitive for all days except Thursday when a lot of beginners drop by to play. It's extremely organized for drop-in badminton since there is a sign sheet that shows the order of rotation for people on the courts and the same group of people usually show up creating a friendly atmosphere. I'm only 23 and have played for about 10 years. After playing in cambie i've developed a huge respect for the 40+, 50+ old ppl that play. I'd be extremely happy if i could play or maintain my level of play when i reach those ages.

One other tidbit....on the busy days (all days except thursday) it's advisable to arrive between 11:10am - 11:25 am cause there is only 26 spots ( i think ) availble.

Any ways, I'm also looking for some new blood to play with. PM me if you're interested.