Costs of entering Super Series as s singles player

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This got me thinking:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/115013-Juliane-Schenk?p=2191276&viewfull=1#post2191276

Juliane Schenk retires.

As a top ten player, she has a BWF commitment to playing in super series tournaments.
    If she doesn't go for the tournament she gets fined USD5000.
    She gets no funding from the national association.

Cost of one tournament (feel free to add more that I have missed):
    Plane ticket (let's say to Asia to Europe) USD$1 200 (open ticket)
    Hotel 5 nights USD $600
    Food and drink USD $400
    Misc expenses USD$150
    Totalling USD $2 350

According to the formula for prize money (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BWF_Super_Series [note the formula looks like it is written incorrectly] ),

and assuming USD$250 000 prize money:
    Winner $18 750
    Runner up $9 500
    S/final $3 625
    Q/finalist $1 500
    last 16 $875

So, as an unsupported player, one has to get to the semi-finals consistently for the Super series event or quarter finals for the premier events.

That's tough. Even with this rather rough assumption of costs, life as a professional badminton player away from the National Association is hard. Even harder for doubles players unless they enter two events.

To get a last 16 place to offer prize money of USD $2 500, the total prize money of the tournament needs to be about USD $714 000 .............

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

don't forget the prize money that the players got is taxable as well.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Well spotted but only if they earn more than the tax threshold :D

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    has the prize money always been this low, or was it even lower say....10yrs ago?

i might not be able to live long enough to see badminton prize money reach the level that tennis prize money is at, at this very moment :(

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    That's why any professional player who is thinking of to turning "independent" has to be careful with his calculations.

Does he have enough sponsors to finance his undertaking. He has to do all the admin work like booking for air tickets, accommodation, internal transport, match schedules, etc, unless he has someone to help him.

Above all he must have the self-discipline and motivation to continue training to ensure he can get an appropriate prize money to cover his operating cost at least.

I'm sure there will be lots more minor issues that he has to face and overcome.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry double posting.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's below poverty level

sponsorship is pretty much a must have. and players can also earn money from coaching, which can be lucrative given the national player status.

but for the tournament alone, seems like a lose-lose situation.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

If the player goes to the tournament, they lose time for coaching as well.

9. nahmed003472

nahmed003472 Regular Member

Being a professional player doesn't seem all that great all of a sudden.

10. smashmaniac

smashmaniac Regular Member

I would like to share on some info about Misbun Ramdan Misbun (BWF ID 72703, BAM 0185). Well he is a sad case of Malaysian young badminton player leaving the national association to become independent. If anyone over here didnt know the full length of the story, may refer to the Misbun Ramdan thread itself.

I happen to meet him in one local competition team event, more or less a community game. Well suprisingly i ve seen him to compete under one government related association (Kuala Lumpur City Council). After the game ended, me and my friend had a long chit chat with him. My friend even ask his player shirt + racquet. he gladly give him those shirt. somehow quite hesitant to give the racquet. among the quotes that made me sad "I am sorry, i could not give you the racquet as this is the only few racquet that i had. My father had ask few local shop to sponsor but they only manage to give 2 new zspeed". Among other racquet that i had notice in his bag is the couple of ns9900. At that time he is world no 42. well its a sad case indeed, even a player of world standard dont have a sponsor.

among other, he depends on the allowance from the organization that he joined. That is why he need to play in such a low class standard of badminton tournament in order to fulfill his obligation. At that time he is the fourth malaysian single compared with me who did not even win any single tournament in my life.

He said that. in every grand prix gold above, he ill need to fork out USD 15,000 from transportation, accomodation, tickets, and other miscellaneous things. which is quite a lot of money somehow.

well he is still young, just turned 23 this year. he got great attitude too and very down to earth outside the court. i hope he will become the replacement of Lee chong wei that the malaysian desired so much now. only time will tell. whether those hardship that he endure in the passion of the badminton itself will pay off or not. we shall see in due time.

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

January
    Korea 7-12 $2500
    Malaysia 14-19 $2500
    February
    German 25-02 $200
    March
    All England 4-9 $1500
    Swiss open 11-16 $1500
    April
    India 1-6 $2500
    Singapore 8-13 $2500
    May
    Off
    June
    Japan 10-15 $2500
    Indonesia 17-22 $2500
    July –sept
    IBL & WC IBL $0 WC $1500
    September
    London GPG 30-5 $1500
    October
    Denmark 14-19 $1500
    French 21-26 $1500
    Bitburger 28-02 $200
    November
    China 11-16 $2500
    HK 18-23 $2500

If she scheduled like this I think her chances of making some good money is possible providing results are ok (top 10). Above are the costs, based on OP. Probably save some money with pairing tournaments in countries nearby each other like above, also tournaments for her in Europe would be less costly flight wise. Frequent flyer would discount for some cost. I am sure there are more costs to add, so maybe balance out in the end. So cost about $35k a year. Even winning Korea open or IBL auction might pay for her whole year, everything on top would be profit, so there is opportunity for top players to make some handsome money on tournaments alone. If she needs a support team with her everywhere she goes then I suppose that would up the costs massively.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Is this a typing error? USD 15,000 can get you 10 intercontinental return tickets on economy (or four?? if on business class) :p

I just picked up on this post from another thread

I also got from another player around USD $2000 so my original estimation in the first post wasn't too far off. Have to add in costs of entry fee as well.