A taste for intermediate rackets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by PinkDawg, Jan 21, 2014.

1. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Has anyone else reverted from higher-end rackets to find they like cheaper rackets? I break lots of rackets... I don't mind buying rackets for cheap, but am I missing something now?
    Racket progression:
    Wilson Super 9000-2009 (low end)
    Yonex Muscle Power 7-2009-2010 (low end)
    Winex Oxygen 3- 2010-2011 (USD~$70)
    Winex Cool 100- 2011-2012 (~$70)
    FZ Forza No. 1 Denmark- 2012-2013 (~$150)
    FZ Forza Ti-9000 CNT- 2013-2014 (~$180)
    Winex Kevlar Power 555- Now (~$90)
    Winex is known to be good value but WHY HAVE I BEEN WASTING MONEY ON EXPENSIVE RACKETS? If I had stuck to Winex I would have saved $250... Does anyone else have this problem? Is this a problem?

2. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I don't understand how you are breaking a lot of rackets. Clashes, treating them poorly?

The best value are the middle intermediate rackets. The high end are for bragging rights, mostly. So and so uses this or that is top of the line so it's the best, etc.

It's not a problem to like intermediate rackets. It may be a problem of why you break so many rackets, though.

3. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Sorry, I've broken two of those rackets: Winex Cool 100 (broken on my friend's head but now he's okay) and FZ Forza No. 1 Denmark (?????). I still own Wilson Super 9000, MP7, Oxygen 3, Ti-9000 CNT, Winex Kevlar Power 555, using the latter 3 in play.

4. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Me too, but not because of too many broken rackets. I just feel that most high-end rackets from high-end brands (Yonex, Li-ning and Victor) are wayyy overpriced. We get about 80-90% of those rackets performance for <50% of their prices, why not?

Besides, rackets only count for <10% of your performance on the court. The rest, 90% is up to how well you play and how physically fit you are.

5. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    :D
    Maybe for you and others. For me, my rackets account for 90% of my performance because I play terribly and I'm physically unfit. My body and skills only contribute 10%. :D

6. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

even 33% of price in my case :D $70 for Winex Kevlar Power 555. Winex intermediate rackets are claimed to be same technology at a fraction of the price but is there any drawback really? I am not strong enough for a VTZF or NS9900

7. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

If you are not fit then u should try mid-end rackets because most of them are quite a bit easier to handle than those high-end ones. In the old days, the higher the number on the rackets the harder it is to 'master' the racket, also usually the more 'powerful' the racket is.

If u feel that u play terribly then u need better rackets to compensate then u are mistaken. What matters is that u must be comfortable with yr racket and can manouver it as best as possible to improve and enjoy the game. ;)

Well, still it's up to one's own preference whether to buy n use whatever they please.:)

8. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Yes, of course there maybe some drawbacks. Try to avoid their low-ends, most of them vibrates on heavy impact. 2nd tier manufacturers' QC may not be as good n u might get some 'lemons', esp. if u buy online. I already give up buying online for intermediate rackets, the high-end ones are generally still OK.

9. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    You are wrong, it is 100%, it is the racket hitting the bird, not you.:p

10. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    You haven't seen me defend smashes with my body and drives with my head. :D

sautom, I was just poking fun at myself. :) I'm not that unfit and don't play that terrible, but don't let my wife hear that, every time she sees me watching a match on video or reading up on anything badminton related, she says "honey, you're never going to be pro so don't try". :D:D