Best footwork guide that breaks it down into steps.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JustinG, Jan 21, 2014.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I've seen a lot of different footwork over the years; some people shuffle a lot while some do more of a fencing step movement. Is there a footwork guide that someone can direct me to so I can compare my current footwork with pro guides. Also a solid video would be nice too!

Thanks,

Justin

2. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

There is no perfect footwork guide for everyone. Not everyone walks the same way because of anatomy and skeletal differences. One of the best way to improve one's footwork is only as much practice as possible is shadow badminton and drills. The most important point is to be able to move as fluidly as possible to ANY directions in the court, trying to do as many kinds of shots as possible.

If u can do shadow badminton for 20-30 mins each session and u practice 3 times a week, you will be assured that your game will improve quite a bit in less than 3 months. (unless u are already playing competitive badminton nationally)

If your movement is already fluid then u can still improve yr speed by practicing faster.

3. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    The way I was learned was side step lunge or grape vine lunge

4. decoy

decoy Regular Member

5. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    One way to learn is picked one current player whose style of play which you want to copy and watch his or her movement on court. Remember, don't watch the bird, only the feet.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Good advice though I used three! I used to watch Hendrawan, Sun Jun and Xia Xuan Ze. I remember thinking Sun Jun not as refined as Hendrawan not Xia Xuan Ze but he made things so difficult for his opponent. SJ was acknowledged by his peers as being a very intelligent player. Hendrawan's footwork from rear court to diagonal forecourt. Xia Xuan Ze's controlled footwork preparation for overhead backhand - very good example. Also, his netshot spin, step back for the opponent's lift and jump smash. I picked these players simply because they are about the same height as myself!

For modern game, the footwork patterns are slightly different due to rally scoring system. You have to be an excellent athlete to copy the footwork of modern men's singles players.

7. SmashAndDash

SmashAndDash Regular Member

There are two video series on youtube that I like to recommend to new players that I coach.

The first (by TheJym) does a lot more break down into each individual type of movement. He has a video detailing each type of step, and then shows variances on footwork for each corner.
    http://www.youtube.com/thejym

A more recent one I like is by Kowi Chandra. He's a local coach who I don't know personally, but I do have friends that have previously trained under him. He doesn't show each type of movement, but I think he breaks down the footwork for each corner better.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kowChan86

After watching those videos for a while. I like to see some in match footwork. These two videos have a nice angle, and I like the contrast between LCW's fast, speedy footwork and TH's more relaxed, fluid footwork. IMO, you'll have to be rather fit and well verse in footwork to make a direct "copy" of either players' footwork, but it's a nice visual to refer to (mentally) when practicing footwork.

LCW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvth3YkiuaI
    TH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WohouCyH2nk

8. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

thank you for the link

in my whole 2 year badminton carreer i focused on footwork but still have so massive problems that i sometimes get a little disappointed

the difference between footwork and movement as he describes it fits perfectly in ma recent problems and opens a new view for me to where i can try to improve and find where/why I might have so much trouble

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The definitions are rather vague to me. Personally, I don't think teaching of footwork and movement is so compartmentalised and perhaps, over complicates the issue.

10. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I think it's important for people who just grind out footwork moving to corners all the time that can get too habitual. I think the movements are pretty natural things people would do anyways.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It's just that in a match/game situation, I never see people moving to the corner of the court when the shuttle is not there.

12. catman

catman Regular Member

For me if I remember to do the split step - I keep moving. If not - I stand there and end up rushing to try and catch up to the shuttle. So now - I remind myself do the split step.....damn forgot to do it yesterday!