Interception At The Net

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by tipper1, Jan 22, 2014.

1. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    Are there any tips other than being ready with your racket up to help in intercepting low push returns from a short serve in doubles.
    I find in matches, that the receiver pushes my short serve passed me but I'm sure I should or could intercept these and hit them downwards.
    I don't really have time to step back further from the net while also covering a net shot so maybe me racket is too far in front to cut these shots out.
    Any help appreciated or any practice drills to help.

2. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    I'm guessing what you are talking about when you say 'push' is a drive shot.
    I think the natural answer would be to prepare your racket for the next shot as fast as you can (as you always should). In case of doubles, it is even more important as the pace is higher than singles. You'll want the racket up high and in front of you so you can take the shuttle as high and early as possible.

3. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Very difficult and very few ppl do well with interception as front player.

My coach would drive the shuttle from mid-court so fast at me and I would hit it back trying to kill it from front of service line. Because it is so fast, I can't even put my "muscle" into it to kill it (plus I am covering the whole width). Half an hour into the drill, my fingers and forearm completely surrendered (was only able to kill a few).

Front court training, in my opinion, is much much harder to learn well than back court. Having a reflex that is good enough to interception the other front player's push, you are golden. Your national team needs you (no jokes).

4. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

Front Person Can intercept if you guess, / their slow. Generally you need to be very quick if you want to guess which way they go (left or right) because if you guess wrong on the interception, be ready to cover

5. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Other than putting up yr racket n be in a ready position one could 'anticipate' and be mentally ready to intercept whatever low shots that comes from the other side. EASILY said but not easily done. :D

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How good are your serves in the first place?

Do you serve to specific areas to elicit certain returns from the opponent? That way you narrow the replies and start to anticipate where the service return is placed.

When you have the racquet up after serving, do you raise it with the racquet at a 180 degrees angle to your forearm or slightly extended?

The better your serve is, the easier it is to cutoff pushes. But it is difficult to cut off every push shot.

7. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    You may not be able to intercept all of them, but maybe some, esp. if your opponents have exploitable habits (e.g. always straight, or always cross-court). Some has the tendency of attacking serving side's backhand. In that case, you look for those shots. You may need to start having your racket moving, and your feet moving immediately after your serve.

Remember, net area is your main responsibility, while you're trying to pick up added responsibility. Don't try to cover all possible pushes. If you do, you probably won't get anything. In order not to present a pattern, you can randomize your bias of which side you'd like to cut off (assuming your opponent has good variations).

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Cheung has a good point on where you intentionally aim your serve to proactively elicit a reply that you can anticipate.

Another point is even though you can't cover the pushes, the fact that you show that you have your racket up and try hard to anticipate the reply will often cause the receiver to make mistakes as he will have less room to maneuver, both physically and mentally.

All this while assuming your serves are pretty decent to begin with, of course. ;)

9. vinod81

vinod81 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Whenever I try to intercept agressively at net, my side lose more points by confusing my partner at the back than the points gained by a net kill. So there should be a an optimal level in the recommeded agressivenes at the net.

Could expereinced people please comment. Thank you.

10. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    I suppose what I mean in my scenario is that if the push is good I would leave it for me partner but there are some push returns that might not be played so well. These type of pushes which I think I can hit downwards and do so aggressively, I am a fraction late to and possibly missing an opportunity.
    It could be that I'm just not seeing the shot quickly enough, off the racket, at impact. Are there any things I can do to improve this.
    I am pretty sure my racket is up in the ready position.

#10 tipper1, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  11. visor

visor Regular Member

Split step

12. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    You don't have to win the point in this situation. Just get the shuttle going down to force a lift is good enough. If yoy are hell bent at killing everything within reach then working out your opposition go to returns quickly will aid you. Trick is not to move too much before they are striking the shuttle. Also learning to brush and slice is good.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Killing everything looks good but in practice quite difficult. Aggressive returns need only force or create a defensive position for the opponent. Therefore, having the racquet ready for a variety of returns will be very effective.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

In addition, try serving from 12 inches further back so you don't have to step backwards after serving.

Also experiment with 'choking' up your grip. i.e. holding up higher on the grip.

15. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    Am I correct in saying that if a return is being pushed and passing around my head or shoulders it is much better if I just leave to my partner as they are in a much better position.

In relation to "awkward" pushes which will land in that mid-court area just beyond the front player. Should the server try intercept these and if so where is the ideal placement so as to be able to recover.

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    When I'm low-serving, my policy is to leave to my partner any fast return that my partner can see.
    In another sense, I intercept only those returns that are slow, coming straight at me or are within easy reach.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

OP, are you referring to those pushes to the side midcourt?

18. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Aim for the body of your opponent and stand your ground. Be ready to duck and move quickly. Generally you will force a lift or slow net short return. If you can successfully intercept then do so. If it puts unnecessary pressure on you then don't.

19. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    In the second part of my most recent post, yes.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, those mid court sideline pushes are very tough to execute and return. That must mean the receiver is playing at an advanced level if he's doing that consistently. Even at pro levels, we can see it's very difficult to return these because it creates uncertainty and confusion for you and your partner as to who's getting it. And even if one of you gets it, it's a desperate shot that will be put away very quickly by the opponent.

Imho, it's better to be proactive about your serve, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. Make sure they're low amd just over the net. And you must vary your aim a bit. I find serving directly at their face or racket shoulder helps cut down their anticipation, with variations of a few inches to the forehand or backhand depending on whether he prefers one or the other.