overhead shots problem

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by J_Noodles, Jan 23, 2014.

1. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

For some reason, I just cannot make clean contact with the shuttle on my overheads . The problem is mostly with my smash, which seems to have left me over the past few months for some reason. When I smash, it always seems like the birdie is scratching against the strings, instead of making a clear "boom" impact. What can I do to create this "boom" impact on clears/smashes?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

watch thejym's pronation videos

the forearm pronates but the racket face has to be square to the shuttle at strike

3. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    May be you need to have your vision checked.

4. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

I can explain this hopefully.
    Your not scratching the birdy, your more aless "slicing it". Why? Because you're not compensating for the position of the birdy on your overheads OR, your initial basic technique could be wrong. Either way this is a HUGE problem, I see a lot of people who are buffed up, smash an overhead, slice it.. and i laugh lol. Get it fixed. Id love to tell you how, but its just too difficult through typing.

5. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

I did some swings in the mirror and noticed that I actually swing sideways somewhat, mainly because of my follow through motion, which goes to the left side of my body. Should the follow-through just go directly to where you want the bird to go?

6. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    First, are you able to hit it cross court to the baseline (clear it cross court) from the overhead position?

If not, there is either a need to pronate, or a need to adjust your grip. If due to injury (or whatever reasons), you can't pronate from the overhead position, consider SLIGHT adjustment toward pan-handle from neutral. Once you feel that you have command of the clear (either straight or cross court) from the overhead position, then go ahead -SMASH.

Remember, after ANY kind of grip change/adjustment, ALWAYS go back to neutral. If you don't go back to neutral, what I have written will actually make things worst for you.

7. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Thank you, I will try this tomorrow. Strange thing is that I used to be able to pronate and make contact fine, but it seems to have left me as of late. Btw I haven't had any injuries to forearm/wrist/upper arm so I don't think that is the problem here.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Copy this guy at about 2.10 of the video. You could do worse by ignoring what he says :p

[video=youtube_share;pnM1v6soBKM]http://youtu.be/pnM1v6soBKM?t=2m[/video]

Watch his preparation. he turns fully sideways and we cannot see his left shoulder.

After he hits it, the follow through goes in the same direction of the shuttle until the racquet head is near the horizontal level of the hip. (So yes to your question). Only then does the follow through come across the body.

#8 Cheung, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I think copying Zhao would be the most obvious secret to success for every single badminton player on the planet :)

10. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

I think I solved the problem, I was holding my grip too much towards the backhand side, and position of the index finger was not correct. I try to use the forehand grip shown in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF8G--iZN4U