Marketing badminton stars charisma

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I just watched Li Na's little speech at the Australian Open.

Really enjoyed it. She spoke very well, even though English is not her first language.

I wonder how she learnt to give a speech like that. Something that BWF can advise on for our players?

[video=youtube_share;7zNIvsce-tc]http://youtu.be/7zNIvsce-tc[/video]

2. visor

visor Regular Member

nah, it's just her personality... she's a character

lin dan, peter gade, matthias boe also give entertaining interviews

lee chong wei not so...

just their personality speaking, not easy to train

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

BWF could make the setting so that it could give the players a chance to show charisma and to address the mass audience, but they are not quite on that level yet. Here is what happened at the WC 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a64pWiUtgJQ 1H13m onward.

Just music flags and people leaving the stadium... exciting lol.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I was there at the World Championships. There were some interviews with past Masters but all former China players. (perhaps I missed some others). And only for TV.

During some backstage interviews of the players after the games, it was done in the corridor and only TV cameras allowed. No other press allowed. Definitely an area for improvement in a world championships.

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yeah I think with interviews a lot depends on the interviewer talent and closeness to the players (said this somewhere else, beg/employ Gade to conduct big event interviews, give him free reign to be cheeky/blunt etc).

But nothing beats just leaving the winner out on their own addressing the crowd, little nervous and full of emotions to share this with the people like in the tennis.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. I had the same exact feeling when i saw her interview earlier. not the best English but the humor definitely came through.

however, can charisma be trained? sometimes it is just who that person is.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

True. She is a strong and independent minded character as well. You have to be to leave the China tennis association.

I can imagine Juliane Schenk doing a good interview.

Badminton tournaments are typically one week compared to tennis grand slams of two weeks. That allows a lot of familiarity and rapport to develop making a person just a little more comfortable - with the interviewer and crowd. So far, badminton TV interviews on court seem to be rather rushed affairs.

Perhaps one solution is to provide some standard questions for all players beforehand so that players can be prepared. It's good training for their future as they may be invited to give speeches at formal dinners or other events where they may be a guest of honour. A good and charismatic badminton speaker can gain more alternative work rather than just be a coach in the future.

Kwun, obviously charisma is part of a personality but showing it in public takes some skill and training. This is where I think it can be improved. Personally, public speaking is a scary thing for me. But after having done a few of them and learned techniques of delivery, it does get easier. My biggest audience is about four hundred in an auditorium - very intimidating when you stand alone at a small lecturn and then at the end get peppered with questions by invited professors...!