Backhand Underhand Lifts at the Net

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Phil, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    My backhand underhand lifts at the net are always kinda crappy. I can't make them very accurate like when I'm feeding someone hitting drops, and sometimes they are short of the back line by a couple feet or so. It really feels like I'm losing power somewhere when I'm hitting this type of shot. I've found that hitting the shuttle as early as possible makes them better, but in a game you're not always going to reach the shuttle so early.

Any tips?

Phil

2. Traum

Traum Regular Member

First and most important of all, when you hit that backhand lift, are you holding your racquet handle right? As in, are you using the backhand grip, with your thumb directly behind the wide part of the handle (the side that is in the same plane as the racquet face)?

If your grip is wrong, it's pretty difficult to get a lot of power out of your backhand.

-Rick

3. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    drink more water

4. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

If you are contacting the shuttle low to the floor, do not expect your lift to land in the back alleys, the best you may be able to do is to clear it mid-court.

Just clear it as high as possible so that it can give you time to get back to the centre of the court (put on your helmet & flac-jacket) and prepare to DEFEND yourself!

:D

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I am not sure how yours look, but I have adopted the tennis swing on this particular move. Hm......how should I describe it.....?

It's more like a backhand swing from Pete.Sampras(not sure how to spell) :)

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

personally I use the same sort of action as by backhand clear,smash and drive.
    pretty much all forearm supination.
    If you use that action for most of your backhand shots you should soon gain power in the shots. I haven't done any training for supination power, it just came over time by using it a lot.

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The most common mistake with lifts at the net is that people take a big swing. If you take the shot early, then you should only need to press sharply with your thumb to lift the shuttle right to the back. By keeping the shot short and sharp, you gain a number of advantages:

1. It is impossible to tell whether you are going to do a lift or a net shot.

2. Power is effortless. It's like hitting the shuttle with just your fingers. Very satisfying once you get the hang of it :D

3. Control is much better, because there is less chance of error with a short, controlled tap than with a big crazy swing.

You also must make sure that you use a correct backhand grip. Approach the shuttle with your racket head tilted below the level of your hand, balanced lightly on your thumb. At the last moment, press hard with your thumb to tighten your grip and tap the shuttle to the back.

8. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Hmm....indeed
    I guess I will have to learn about that :)
    (sometimes it's just hard when you are at the baseline)

9. other

other Regular Member

Student
    and like every other shot you want to travel, make sure there is clean contact, and your not slicing it otherwise it will not ever reach the back.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The technique that I posted is only for lifts at the net. From the baseline this technique is totally useless - there's no way anyone could lift from baseline to baseline using just "finger power".

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Adding to Gollum's advice, racquet preparation is also a key point.

if you plant your leading on the ground and then draw your racquet and make the swing, you lose the optimal contact point.

Draw the racquet back on the step before the leading foot moves, then you'll save time on the stroke.

Racquet face postioning is also important. On the withdrawal of the racquet, the elbow should be pointing forward and up. The racquet head will be facing outside. Use the fingers and thumb to supinate the racquet head when striking the shuttle.

12. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    This sounds like what I'm most likely doing. Thanks everyone for the tips, I'll try them out next time I'm out on court.

Phil