Just bought a badminton shoe.....and I have a question about it

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by orangenetic, Jan 27, 2014.

1. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

Well. Until now I used running shoes and tennis shoes to play badminton. I have noticed a long time ago that the running shoes made my feet hurt alot. The tennis shoes were ok even though I knew tennis shoes dont make the best badminton shoes.

So I bought the Yonex SHB87 hehe
    I tried them on as soon as they arrived.
    I noticed that the tip part of the shoes were quite stiff.
    I am used to wearing shoes that have mesh on the tip. All my other shoes have mesh on the tip so they're very flexible and comfortable.
    The shoes seem a little big(1-2cm) but the sides are just right for my narrow feet.

When I walk around, the stiff tip part( the empty part where my feet don't reach) always folds very badly.

Is this just because this is my first time wearing badminton shoes or is it just too big....

Tell me about the feelings of when you first bought your badminton shoes and opinions about my problem.

Thanks

2. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I'm not sure I understand exactly but usually the shoes need a break in period before they feel comfortable to your feet. If you are used to running shoes such as Asics, with the thin mesh on the front and top, yes, definitely a new shoe that is not mesh but have real leather or synthetic leather-like material will feel hard against your feet when you bend at that area. Give it some time, it should be fine, if not, you may want to look for more mesh in your next badminton shoe, but don't immediately think that until you give the shoes a chance to "fit" to your feet.

3. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    It's the same thing when you buy any type of shoe, even the ones you use outdoor. All shoes feel stiff at first.

4. chiaki

chiaki Regular Member

Education
    I have the same shoes as you, just got it. it folds badly at the part my toes bend. Think it's normal, will be fine after break-in like the above guys explained.

5. PlaySmart

PlaySmart New Member

I often have trouble at the part of the shoe where my toes bend. I fixed that problem by don't using the bottem shoe string holes and start the lacing from the second hole. So the shoes get more flexible around the toes and they can fold the way they want without hurting my toes. It feels like the shoes want to fold sideways and my toes can only go straight up and down. After a good break- in I often can lace the shoes in the normal way again.
    My current shoes the shb-sc6 hurt my toes so bad that I can't walk on them when laced in the normal way. With the skipped holes no pain or nasty pressure on my toes at all. :)

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Good points about the lacing and break-in. To break in faster, I usually wear it at home for a few hrs before using it on court.

7. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

Thank you all for giving advices. Yes it was just that the shoe was new. After wearing it for a few hours at home and playing with it, it softened alot. And I cannot compare these shoes with other badminton shoes since these are my first badminton shoes. But I think it is great. It gives great balance and keep my feet comfortable. I used to get blisters after playing alot with running shoes or tennis shoes, but now I don't get anymore blisters on my feet :)

8. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Thanks for the update, good to hear they have broken in. Now go enjoy your new broken in shoes!