Nanoray Z-Speed vs Brave Sword LYD vs VT80

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by n0m5ky, Jan 29, 2014.

1. n0m5ky

n0m5ky Regular Member

Hi guys,

I've been looking for a new racket for my doubles games. Currently I'm using a ZSlash, a NS9900, and an FB. I'd like to know your views on these three rackets (ZSpeed vs LYD vs VT80). They all look very promising in the attacking department to me.

Thank you for your inputs!

2. Rogi.

Rogi. New Member

I'm in a similar situation at the moment, but I'm a beginner but pick up what I like quickly :) so far,
    From what I've read online (and handled some of these request in person)

The Z-Speed - the "Lab" Racquet, you either obtain an amazing smash or a terrible outcome. A couple reviewers online don't like the feel of this one.

VT-80- "Smash" Racquet, if you love to smash, this ones for you.

LYD- Sorry never handled it or checked it out :( I might be missing out on something.

Have you considered or tried out these or any other types of Racquets ?

What do you think of your current racquets? Why are you considering changing at the moment? And what do you want out of this new racquet that you can't obtain from your current ones.

I'm currently using Yonex Isometric 90VFS (from like 2002) and although most reviewers say it isn't right for them, I feel its a great racquet for me :)

Morale of the story is that you can read a ton of reviews out there, but you need to find some place where you can try out the racquet before buying, or you might get a surprise if it doesn't meet to your needs. Each player is different and they have likes/dislikes, the review for any badminton racquet is always biased to their own likes and dislikes and might not be the exact same things you like in your racquet.

3. Lucastth

Lucastth Regular Member

9 to 6
    I have used both the LYD and VT 80. Never a fan of these 'Z series' because somehow like Rogi said, it either works or it don't.

Both LYD and VT 80 are excellent in the attacking department. The comparison I find between these two are:

LYD: Slightly stiffer and more maneuverable, probably due to it's frame shape.

VT80: Slightly head heavier (and flex)

Based on the 3 rackets you're currently using, they are not exactly identical in specs so I'll presume that you're still in the stage of finding a suitable racket. However before making any further decision to purchase more rackets, I'd suggest you to find out what do you expect from these 3 new rackets and what you're not satisfied with your current 3 rackets. Whether a racket 'attacks' or not depends more the individual rather than the racket.

4. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

I've tried all 3 of these rackets

I would say the Voltric 80 is really good for smashing because of the weight in the head but also the Victor Bravesword LYD, the racket really cuts through the air, again smashing is really nice.

With the Nanospeed Z-Speed this is a 50:50 kinda racket, you either like it or hate it. When I tried it, I didn't enjoy it that much compared to my current racket, the Voltric Z-Force. The racket really cuts through the air but the "Fastest Smash" which Yonex is advertising this racket as, isn't necessarily true. I felt I could smash about the same or harder with my Z-Force compared to the Z-Speed

#4 drew tze en, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  5. Herrmann

Herrmann Regular Member

Own 2x VT80 and tried BS LYD and NR Z-Speed.
    VT80: Love it. Great BP (307mm w/o overgrips), stiff but not to a point where power delivery becomes too demanding, still fast on defense
    BS LYD: Didn't like the feel of it, possible a bit better at intercepting shots in doubles. Feels less solid overall imo
    NR Z-Speed: Just pickin it up felt horrible. A clumsy racket - didn't work for me at all.

6. FlyingDutch

FlyingDutch Regular Member

Student
    I own a VT80 and a Z-Speed, did not play the Victor yet. I have to say, i do love my Zspeed way more than the VT80 and i also own a ZForce i would always prefer over the VT80. I can hit extremely hard with both, Zforce and Zspeed (BG80 at around 26lbs), but iam pretty tall (2m) and i do have a lot of power in my fore- and upperarm which is likely to have if you use such stiff Rackets.
    Thing is though as the others already wrote, you will either hate or love the Z-Speed. Be sure to test them before you buy any, except you like the idea of just buying a VT80, one of the most allround rackets i have ever played yet. VT80 fits most doubles players, but is has no "special" abilities like the others do have.
    Otherwise, as i read that you own the Z-Slash and the FB, which are horrible to just as many players as the Z-Speed, i would almost say go for it, you seem to like unusual Rackets!
    Switching from FB to Z-Speed could take you a while though :p

Good luck with your choice!

7. slair76116

slair76116 Regular Member

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    I too have the Z-speed, Z-slash and the Z force.

The Z speed to me had the best smash at it's best I felt almost invincible :) (yahoo!!!)

I'm 5'10" and a hard hitter

The Z slash for me is not a very forgiving racket, when it does connect it does good but too many instances it does not connect just right. It's not a very forgiving racket.

The Z-force is a beautifully balanced fast racket. (Good for doubles I would say) I know it's suppose to be head heavy, but the net play and smashes are evenly good.

I have played with the VT 80 for a few games, and I didn't like it.

Overall if you're a hard hitter I think you will like the Z-speed more than the VT-80

All rackets were UM66 at 25Lbs.

#7 slair76116, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  8. happy758

happy758 Regular Member

Go for the VT80. The Bravesword is very fast but lacks a little power in my opinion. Also consider MX80 and maybe the new MX90