Gamma progression ii 602 vs 602FC vs Pro's Pro challenger 1 - Fixed clamps questions?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by bobbinbette, Jan 29, 2014.

1. bobbinbette

bobbinbette Regular Member

Hi Everyone,

I've recently decided that I want to sell my Pro's Pro shuttle express (on sale in the buy/sell) and get a 6 point dropweight machine. Reason being that I found that I miss the string jobs of my old Klippermate m140 as they were more consistent and the machine needed less maintenance.

I'm currently deciding between the Gamma progression II 602FC, Progression 602 (no fixed clamps), and Pro's Pro challenger 1 and I would greatly appreciate some input.

They all appeal to me because they're table top dropweights with a ratchet, however I don't know if the fixed clamps are worth the extra money.

1. Do fixed clamps provide a convenience that warrant the much higher price tag (relative to its non fixed clamp counter part)?
    2. What advantages do fixed clamps have over flying clamps?
    3. Will the larger turntable/base of the fixed clamp machines translate to a more sturdy/stable turn table vs the progression 602 that has a more narrow bar?
    4. How does the quality of the Pro's Pro machine match up against the more expensive Gamma?

Thanks everyone!

2. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

I don't know about propro but my gamma progression 602fc fixed clamps were not meant for badminton stringing, so the crosses were a pain to do since the teeth's did not work well. I had to spend an extra 120 dollars for the gamma fixed badminton clamps

HOWEVER, after i got the badminton fixed clamp the results were much different and better compared to using yonex flying clamps. I believe fixed clamps are better because they have a better grip as well i believe that racquets do not move/shift as much during the end crosses because the string is clamped to the fixed clamps which are clamped to the turn table as the flying clamp is just flying in the air without stabilizing the racquet.

3. bobbinbette

Thanks for the feedback heroclass. The extra $120 brings the overall price range of the 602FC beyond my budget. Were the original clamps unable to be used for badminton or simply inconvenient? How would it perform if I used the stock fixed clamps for the mains, but 2 yonex flying clamps for the crosses?

4. phili

phili Regular Member

They are inconvenient but you will get used to it eventually.

5. henrychenn

henrychenn Regular Member

Student
    If you are ordering the pro's pro, I would suggest ordering from w&dstrings, they would replace the tennis clamps for you for badminton ones for roughly $40

6. bobbinbette

It seems that the Pro's Pro clamps are about half the price of the Gamma clamps. Would I be able to fit the Pro's Pro clamps onto the gamma clamp bases?

7. xgumbyx

xgumbyx Regular Member

I am getting back into stringing (mostly for myself) and am having the same dilemma, fixed clamp or floating clamp. Obviously fixed will be superior but is it worth the excess cost. I'm trying to justify the 602fc to myself by saying that I'll be more confident that I'll be able to deliver more consistent string jobs and that will be important if I start to string for other people. Am I really just trying to talk myself into spending more money or am I correct in that statement? I also am trying to find out if the cheaper Pro's Pro clamps fit onto the 602fc.
    [MENTION=35629]bobbinbette[/MENTION], where are you looking for your 602fc? I've generally seen them for $499USD, have you found anything cheaper

8. bobbinbette

[MENTION=115402]xgumbyx[/MENTION], I didn't find anything cheaper than $499 for the 602FC.

I ended up going with floating clamps because you can still do very good string jobs with them. Adding badminton fixed clamps to the Gamma progression 602FC brings the total cost up to $630 and that's beyond my budget.

9. bobbinbette

I just received my Progression 602 and strung one racket so far and it works great!
    However, I do have one small concern about the badminton support mount and I was hoping someone with experience in Gamma machines could give me some feedback.

The frame of the racket doesn't seem to sit in the middle of the badminton support as shown in [MENTION=1]kwun[/MENTION] 's gamma 6004. Instead, the top edge of the badminton support seems to be below the top of the racket frame. Is this normal? Could this be due to the new badminton side supports?

I was so worried about the load spreader coming loose from the frame that I switched it back for the standard 1 point 12 o'clock support that came with the machine.

IMAG0770.jpg
    IMAG0773.jpg

10. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

Oh well I have the 602fc and I use the MBS load spreader with slight modifications since the width of the 12-6oclock posts width didn't fit the load. But since I'm using the load spreader I didn't have the same problem as you even with the badminton side support. However your picture looks completely fine and I would say it wouldn't even be a problem. I think its even better since u bought the actual gamma load spreader

11. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

Also how did you got those badminton aide supports? They seem to be a better design than the ones gamma provided.

12. bobbinbette

[MENTION=40185]heroclass[/MENTION] I just purchased the machine about 2 weeks ago.

Do you find that the tension scale is accurate? Using the small weight, do you follow the 10-40lb scale on the bar? I found that the 40lb mark only gave ~26lbs tension according to my electronic fishing weight.

Hm, maybe i'm over thinking everything. I'll try stringing a racket with the Gamma load spreader. If it slips, I'll return it and get MBS load spreaders.

13. bobbinbette

Edit: Sorry! double post

#13 bobbinbette, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  14. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

Can you elaborate more about the accuracy of the drop weight? All I know is I have a huge cylindrical weight on my weight that ranges to around 80 or 90lbs

15. bobbinbette

[MENTION=40185]heroclass[/MENTION], the dropweight bar has 2 sets of numbers(lbs and kg each). 1 set of numbers ranging up to 90lbs and its corresponding kg weight. This is for the whole weight assembly (large and small portions together).

The second set of numbers ranges up to 40lbs and its corresponding kg weight. This is meant for only the small portion of the weight assembly.

The second set of numbers is what I was told to use by Gamma and to use the small weight. However, it seems inaccurate when I check with my electronic fishing weight.

Do you use the whole weight assembly or just the small portion?

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that indeed is worrying. but i wouldn't worry that the frame will slip out of the support. i think it might go the other way. ie, it will slide down the contour of the 12 o'clock support toward the middle of the plastic piece. what will happen then is the racket frame will be slightly warped during the stringing process. which is never a good thing.

it looks like Gamma has made a mistake in the positioning of the new support, the center line of the side support doesn't line up with the centerline of the end support.

17. phili

phili Regular Member

I had the same problem with the 12 o'clock support. Due to the new mounts the racket lies a bit higher than before so you need a longer support for the 12 o'clock. Just contact your retailer.

18. bobbinbette

Hello [MENTION=94298]phili[/MENTION],

Are you also using the progression 602? I'm not sure they make just a marginally taller support. Did you ask for that and get one?
    [MENTION=1]kwun[/MENTION] I called Gamma and they suggest sanding down the curve of the 12 o'clock mount so that it's flat to prevent the head of the racket from slipping downward. Do you think this is good or should I get the MBS load spreader and just use the standard support?

19. phili

phili Regular Member

I am using the Progression II 602FC. I had the same problem at first but after discussing the problem with my retailer he sent me the right support after he asked Gamma USA about it.

20. xgumbyx

xgumbyx Regular Member

I wonder if people will jump on Gamma for getting the customer to use a backyard mechanics fix instead of providing a proper solution as much as they jump on Victor at Eagnas when he suggests similar fixes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Gamma or promoting Eagnas as at this point I have 0 experience with either (still trying to convince the wife to let me get a stringer). Just an observation is all.