Racket String Broken in 1-2 weeks

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mms6a, Feb 1, 2014.

1. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Okay, having my strings broken over and over again is going to make my stringer rich and I will be bankrupt.

i have yet broken 2 more strings in the last two weeks of freshly strung.

My tension is not really high, ranging between 22-24 lbs, and I do NOT leave my racket in the car/car trunk. i always bring it with me to my house (23 degC)

All the string I use are of 0.66mm gauge. The two string. I broke today were (Gosen R4x Momone at 24 lbs, and Gosen R4x 200 at 23 lbs)

i have used BG-66, BG-66UM, NBG-98, Toalson NanoPremium 66, Toalson Devil 66, Gosen R4x100 (I know this is thinner), Gosen Pro 66.

The most durable of the above are Toalson NanoPremium 66, Devil 66 and slightly shorter, but still durable NBG-98 (due to nanocoating)
    These slightly more durable strings lasts about 3 weeks or longest, a month.

I will make it clear that I only play about 1 session per week, and at most 2 sessions per week.

Every session lasts about 3 hours to 6-7 hours depending on players, and the badminton facility I play at. i have about half of every session used for singles or singles rally.

I play mainly feather (Victor Masters No1, Master Ace, Champion No1, Tourney No1, LiNing A+100, A+90, A+70 (practice), Aeroplane Black, Yonex AS-30s, and some Wecan shuttles for practice.

As for plastics, sometime we play plastic (Mavis 300/350 or Mavis 2000), but no to often...

I do not mishit too often, maybe a few mishits during warmup or I switch from an Oval racket to an Iso racket.

also, the string ALWAYS has strayed splits at the intersection of the mains and crosses around the sweetspot area.

i first I thought I was hitting too hard, but I toned down some power and my strings are still breaking...

I suspect if technique and the shots I execute...

Breaking my freshly strung strings in about 10-18 hours of play time

anyone has suggestions?

2. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Try a different stringer? :000

3. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Apparently I tried the best stringers in my area.

I use MaxSports and Yo's as well as strung in clubs at Lee's and Agincourt.

all stringing are done by Electronic tension head, MaxSports used (ES Protech 8 and Es Protech 5, and Yo's use ES Protech 5, Agincourt used Technifibre electronic stringing machine)

the string job all look good, Yonex 2 piece pattern and Gosen Haribito pattern, nicely tied knots etc...

Every string job costs me around $10-$12 labor, and I buy my strings for around $6-8

too expensive since I have been constantly restringing since May of 2013

4. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

The only reason i can think of is either your shots are hitting the sweetspot 99% of the time or the stringer prestrings before actually stringing it. Do you have 4 knots or 2 knots when you get your racquet back for stringing? usually when they prestring, they will pull the crosses horizontal to the mains, causing alot of friction(wear and tear) of the strings during the stringing process.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    so all your string breaks at the sweet spot?

do they move around a lot? do you have to re-arrange / re-straighten them during the game very often?

most of your strings are .66mm or less, so none of them are known for longevity. despite that though, only 2 weeks seems a bit short.

6. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher

The Yonex stringing pattern I get 4 knots (Max Sports) and the Gosen Haribito, I get 2 knots.

7. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher

Yes, always ALL at somewhere in sweetspot area... Also, on some rackets, the cross snaps, but most of the times, the main snaps.

I do adjust my stringbed after winning points or a series of smashes. I also adjust my stringbed quite frequently when it is freshly strung off the stringing machine, this is because some of my Nano coated strings tend to be slipperly between the main and cross, so after a few smashes or slice crossnet drops, the string moves (also having it at low tension make the string move more)

Once the string between the main and cross rub each other enough to create the split ends, I will have no need to adjust the stringbed too often as the mains and crosses are "snapped" into place with very minimal movement.

However, it takes longer for nano coated strings to "snap" as the coating is quiet smooth, and there is not too much friction to create the strays.

i have yet to break a string that is not in the sweetspot.

On a side note, I like to add that almost ALL MY STRINGS are prestreched on the machine before stringing... My tension is quite on the low end already, if I do not prestretch, I know my string might last a bit longer, but I am afraid that the tension lose would happen almost immediate after stringing...

#7 mms6a, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  8. visor

visor Regular Member

More breakage in winter? If so, you have to lower tension by 1 lb.

9. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    It was snapping like this since May of 2013 to Present...

too bad I cut the string on my both my racket today. i want to show where the string frayed the most (around the central area of sweetspot), and the rest of the racket head has little or no frays

for now, I will try to switch to BG -65, but I will miss the feeling of 0.66mm strings...

when I had BG-65 strung at around 23 lbs on my MusclePower 99, it lasted about 2-4 months depending on how frayed the cross and main are. When the sweetspot get frayed too much (from slice drops, slice smashes and regular smashes mostly I think), the my MP99 strings can last about 2 months or so

10. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

seems like its not the stringers fault from reading what you posted. possibly just the strings since it is .66mm

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Bg65 you'll need to increase to 26-27 lbs for the same feel.

Prrhaps try bg80.

12. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    I don't like BG-80 nor BG-80P (something to do with that outer layer of the string), the only Yonex branded string I like is BG-66UM, and my secondary choices would be BG-65 Kyo, BG-65Ti or just regular 65

i do not think I was to risk my frame for 26lbs - 27lbs with a thick string... Maybe i will try hybrid strings, so I will get BG65/Ti/Kyo for the main, and maybe a BG-66UM or Gosen R4x Momone cross.

Most of the times, my mains are the ones to snap, so maybe a thicker gauge mains is better...

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how about Gosen R4X 110?

you might want to try the R4X Inspire too, the coating is similar to the 110/Momone, but thicker and more durable, at the expense of some feel.

14. terdy10

terdy10 New Member

Uni Student
    Nice, I will give the inspire a try

15. Warlock86

Warlock86 Regular Member

According to my stringer, he mentioned to me that it is better to use a thicker string at lower tension for rackets that can be sustain a higher tension like 26 lbs. Probably you can use still BG80 but a lower tension of 20-21.

Btw Kwun, how do you find RX 110 vs BG80? I have a poor impression of Gosen inspire as the string went dull after one week of usage.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    RX110 is a better string than INSPIRE. repulsion, feel and tension retension are all excellent. durability is slightly worse though given the thinner diameter. RX110 is my favorite string now.