Is upgrading from Voltric 7 to Voltric 70 worth it?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by srigal, Feb 2, 2014.

1. srigal

srigal Regular Member

srineto@gmail.com
    I am an intermediate Club level player and using Voltric 7, however, i wish to add some more power to my smashes and game in general and am thinking that Voltric 70 will help me do this though Voltric 80 seems to be a sure shot but i read in this forum that it may hurt your shoulder especially if you are not very strong in the arm. So, is it worth spending extra $$ for Voltric 70 vis-a-vis the extra benefits, if any, from buying it:confused:. Thanks in advance.

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

new racket wont help. improve your technique

3. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    About the only time a racket will change your power is if the new racket and the current racket are different enough. For example head light to head heavy or flexible end to stiffer end of the scale. You will not see/feel much differences in slight differences in racket specs. Strings and tension will offer more subtle change and cheaper too.

4. Vik06

Vik06 Regular Member

What you decided?

So what have you decided did you upgrade your racket to voltric 70 bcz now im in the same dilemma :(

5. srigal

srigal Regular Member

srineto@gmail.com
    Voltric 80

I bought Voltric 80 and followed the youtube coaching of coachingbadminton.com and Jimmy Lin and i can now say i am NOT embarrassed by my smashes and drives. Many guys here feel it is head heavy and defending in doubles may be compromised but to me it did not make much difference, so i would consider this a good investment;).
    Note: strung it with BG66 @ 24.

6. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

if it's not overwhelming you, that's obviously good! congrats on the new weapon. how much was it where you are/got it from?

7. srigal

srigal Regular Member

srineto@gmail.com
    Thank you. I live in Hyderabad and I bought it from Bangalore from Rohit Sports, he sells genuine Yonex and he shipped it to me from Bangalore. It costed me Rs. 10800 for the racket, Rs. 480 for the string and Rs. 150 for the courier. His cell no. Is 09632829008. Wish you all the best;)

8. yoman

yoman Regular Member

Hi! I am an average player lookin for a more powerful head heavy racket, currently I am using a light headed one. may I know if your VT80 is 3U or 4U ? Does it tired your hand out quickly?

9. srigal

srigal Regular Member

srineto@gmail.com
    It's 4U!

Hi, It is 4U and i play doubles for 2 Hrs every day and it does not tire my hand though i wear a wrist band to support my wrist. Here it's pertinent to mention that the string tension that i use is 24 Cross and 22 Main. if you go for higher tension then you may tire your hand faster. Wish you awesome smashing with VT80 :)

10. yoman

yoman Regular Member

Thank you so much for your kind respond! May I ask what is the advantage of having different tension for cross and main? Usually I do 23 uniform.

Also do u have any opinion on arc series? because i was adviced to take up an arc as moving from a extreme light head to extreme head heavy may affect my playing and strokes alot.

11. pchospital

pchospital Regular Member

PC servcing and DIY PC
    Maybe you can provide info of what racket you are using so that others can advice you better :)

Also if it is 3U or 4

Brand and model of string

#11 pchospital, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  12. yoman

yoman Regular Member

Apologize for missing tat out, using a Ti zero 3ug5, bg80 - 23 lbs, lookin for something with more power, decided on voltric but worried whether the huge jump in head weight will have any effect

13. srigal

srigal Regular Member

srineto@gmail.com
    Hi, Please checkout this link for a detailed discussion on String tension
    "http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/54129-Why-2lbs-On-The-Cross"

Regarding your other concern, i think any change from a lighter racquet to a heavier one will require practice and IMHO every player who has made this change will have to go through this process. My advise is, try to get hold of a VT 80 from your friend or a demo piece from a retailer and try it out before jumping the gun. Best of Luck!

14. Team Jahan

Team Jahan Regular Member

Pilot
    Hey man, was also a TI zero user, and now switch to VT80/ARC11

Difference is huge, takes some time to get used to. The VT80 is alot slower due to the swing speed. The difference is immediate, could feel it as soon as i picked up the VT80. Head heavy rackets tend to feel "heavier" but the truth is they are the same weight.

Head heavy rackets gives you more punch in your shots, but really lacks the control. Maybe you just need time to get used to it.

I suggest ARC10 to start off with, as it is even balanced - gives you both power and control so its not too big of a difference.

Or if you can handle a super stiff version of ARC10, then ARC 11.

15. amleto

amleto Regular Member

arc10 and arc11 dont have much/any stiffness change. arc11 is definitely not super stiff compared to arc10.

I find you get more control from head heavy rackets, not less. The racket is in the correct striking position for longer due to slower swing, therefore consistency is improved.

16. yoman

yoman Regular Member

I really appreciate the inputs from you guys. Yesterday I Juz ordered a vt80 online, I merely did a few swings with the 3U and 4U at a retail sports shop, in the end I chosen the 4U. Really hope I won't regret on my choice :)

17. srigal

srigal Regular Member

srineto@gmail.com
    Sensible decision. You will not regret. Happy shuttling.

18. yoman

yoman Regular Member

Thank you :) You too ;)