Why Do you support who u do?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, Apr 22, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I've been watching badminton and football (soccer) for a long time now and i support Indonesia and Manchester United in their respective sports.

I lived in Indonesia for 12 years and trained there for about 6-7. My football fanatic relatives all support Man U and i've grown up to love the club.

This is why i support Indonesia and Man U. Why do you support the country/team you do?

thanx for all replies.....

2. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Since I am from the US, I cannot cheer for our national players much past the second round of a major tournament, so I support other players. I have supported Yap Kim Hock (Malaysia) because of his skills and calmness under pressure, especially when he was getting Cheah Soon Kit to relax and not be so angry.
    I liked Rick and Rexy for their top skills, good sportsmanship, and good manners during matches. Also Tri Kusharynto and Minarti Timur for their exciting style of play. Right now I like candra/sigit and tony/halim.

Generally I support the Malaysian and Chinese national teams because my Malaysian and Chinese friends do, and I can find out more gossip about the players. The Chinese players especially seem dedicated to the game and always have good manners on court.

3. Zico

Zico Guest

I dunno, i start playing badminton not long ago hehe. but since then, ive been badminton bloodlust. I dunno why my cousin (indonesian familly i might add) also likes manchester united for soccer, i dunno why. But i guess you support who you support maybe because they represent the best of the game or maybe they are representing your country/state/whatever.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Leeds Utd. Remember Man U have to thank Leeds for getting Cantona to come to England in the first place.

Cheah Soon Kit for doubles because of a tape of some Thomas Cup match. He played with OBT. I think it was a s/f match vs Indonesia and he went crazy after winning. Can't find that tape now. Rats.

Two players for singles. Zhao Jian Hua for pure talent. Sun Jun for fighting spirit (so sad to watch his Q/F Olympic match).

Torn between China and M'sia. Ethnic chinese but with strong M'sian connections. Have to take neutral stance if players from these two countries play each other.

5. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    I started watching badminton in 94 and the very first match I saw was Hariyanto Arbi vs Joko Suprianto at the Hiroshima Asian Games MS finals. Arbi was my first idol, which explains why I've been an Indonesian supporter for the past 7 years.

The other team I support is Korea and the reason is quite stupid. That was during last yr's Thomas Cup semifinals when they played China. My parents are Chinese fans and being the unfilial daughter that I am, I decided to back the opposing team just to irritate them. Then there was the adorable Lee Dong Soo, which served as an added incentive... pls ignore this.

For EPL, I'm an ABU, ie. Anything But (Manchester) United. For World Cup, I like Brazil and Italy.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There's that word again "adorable"!