Playing in Trivandrum!

Discussion in 'India' started by achum, Feb 4, 2014.

1. achum

achum New Member

Engineer
    Hi All,

I have recently moved to Trivandrum and put up in PMG. I am not a member of any clubs in trivandrum like TC,SMC etc. I have found that some of the usual places like jimmy george indoor stadium as well as the sankhumugham court is currently under renovation for National games and would be unavailable until the games are concluded. And sadly found out that all the slots at the Sri Padmanabha indoor court to be unavailable at the time I require.
    Can any of you guys suggest a good indoor court where I can play in the morning/late evening time? I am looking to play close to 5 days a week. I am looking to play at timings 6-8 am or 7-9 pm.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    The places that have courts are the Jimmy George Indoor Stadium, the Sri Mulam Club, the Trivandrum Club, the Technopark Recreation Centre, the Shankhumukham Beach Terminus, the AG's Office, the Reserve Bank HQ and the Palace Courts (which I believe are the same as the Sri Padmanabha Courts).

And it looks like you have tried them all.

It might be almost impossible to book a court at any of these places as they have regular patrons.
    But perhaps you could try dropping in at the Palace Courts and see if the regulars are willing to accept you in their group. Many of them are ex-state players and, hopefully, your skill level is at least Intermediate or higher.

3. achum

achum New Member

Engineer
    Hey thank you for the reply. Yeah I have tried most of them except the Reserve bank HQ and AG's office. Have you any information as to providing memberships to these two. As in, are they only for their respective employees? If not, I would try there too.

I have a friend along with me to play. So I guess asking a current team to include us would be tough as we are two.

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

My apologies but I do not have any contact information.

I would assume that sensitive premises like the Reserve Bank and the Accountant General's Office need proper IDs or references.

You could try to locate and contact one of the three Sekhar brothers (Rakesh, Rajeev and Rajesh).
    All three of them have competed at the National level and all of them are is also ex-state champions.

At least one of them (probably Rakesh Sekhar) should be a current office-bearer of the Trivandrum District Badminton Association or the Kerala State Badminton Association. You should be able to find the contact numbers on the association websites.

Good luck :)

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

I forgot to add that one of the brothers is a Reserve Bank officer while another works for the Accountant General. I don't remember who works where though.

In any case, nothing much happens in the Trivandrum badminton scene without the involvement of one of them. Happy hunting!