Need help with Yonex Armortec 900 Power

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by koopoong, Feb 4, 2014.

1. koopoong

koopoong Regular Member

Hallo everyone, I'm a newbie here and I hope you can give me some guidance.

I consider myself as beginner to intermediate player and recently I've bought myself a Yonex Armortec 900 Power (string on 22lb). At the moment I'm struggling with generating a power and maintaining my defence especially if I play double.

Some said it’s better to modify my Armortec before start looking to buy a new racket. I was wondering will it make a difference (defence) if I reduce the tension to 18lb.

Or perhaps keep the Armortec for single and get a new one for double.

Just in case if I've decide to buy a new racket, what recommendation do you have? I'm not planning to buy another top end racket

Note: I like to play aggressive and smash a lot

Thank you

2. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Well first, the armortec 900 is rated extra stiff can your wrist handle that? Also your technique comes into roll too. What tension and racquet did you have before ? You might wanna go with something more flexible try out different racquets out keep. I don't think string tension has to do with defence except the shuttle having more of a trampoline effect on the string bed because of 18lbs.

3. Lucastth

Lucastth Regular Member

9 to 6
    For a beginner to intermediate level, I will not recommend using the Armotec 900 Power, might probably get away with a Technique instead. Like Exert said, that is an extra stiff racket and will require greater technique to use properly. You can try lowering the BP of the racket but nah, and lowering your tension for the sole purpose of defense is not recommended as it might affect your offense later; 22lbs is a pretty good starting point in my opinion (for a teenager).

As to buying a new racket for doubles, it depends on what changes you expect. I would recommend that you try working on your technique (in both using the racket and positioning yourself properly for defense and offense) and slowly building up the power to use the racket. But if you still find that it's still lacking in defense or offense after working your technique to a reasonable level, then it's time to move on to a new racket because now you know that extra stiff and head heavy is not suitable for you, and will help you in making your next decision.

On a side note, the Armotec 900 Power were once used in both men's and women's double (i.e Kido/Setiawan) so I wouldn't say this is a racket strictly for singles.

Good luck!

4. koopoong

koopoong Regular Member

I agreed with all you said. I feel that AT is to heavy for double.
    At the moment I'm thinking NS 100 or AC 7 or 9. What's your opinion on these rackets?

Thanks

5. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    NS 100, I've used it for my first
    Year of playing badminton and it is easy to adapt too you don't need a strong wrist for that one. It's an all around racquet.

6. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    900 P is a good racket. I have 2 of them along with voltric Z force and others. 22 lb tension is good too. Mine is 23 lb. Play with it a little longer and you'll get use to its feel and timing of your swing and contact point. Once you get use to it, you'll start to appreciate that slight head heavy feel and that stiff shaft.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The 900P is a bad racket for a beginner and an even worse one when it comes to defense - it's extremely stiff and extremely head heavy. Reducing the tension will probably help with the power, but not the defence.

You won't like this advice, but here it is: dump the 900P, and get a medium-stiff mid-range Nanoray or Arcsaber (if you're sticking with Yonex).

8. tonyhks

tonyhks Regular Member

Accountant
    I have 4 AT900P all 3U. 2 for spares 2 for games. All stringed at 24. Yonex string 66. Use it for doubles and find it very good provided you apply the right method. A strong wrist is required but the result is good. Taps at the net is quick and accurate. Lobs to the back no problem. Defence wise you need to practise.

9. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Yo Bro....very true, very true.....have been in the game for 45 yrs now....from wooden to steel to aluminium to carbon, from natural gut to synthetic to multifilament and from 18 lbs to 30 lbs, o.66 to 0.70 gauge..............its still practice and strong wrist, hahaha......