What are some mind games to play on your opponents in Doubles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Birdy, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    eg. hitting to just one player only, yelling when you do a good smash, laughing when your opponent misses, calling an out when it's in, pretending/giving the impression that you are taking it easy (to piss them off or not try), saying mean things (jk)

I don't know if mind games is consider playing dirty or not.. but it seems like badminton is largely a mind game.. and it takes strong minds to not let things like these get to you.

2. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Hitting to the weaker player is a valid tactic. Pretending to be taking it easy/being ice calm can be part of a mind game.

Everything else is pretty much poor sportsmanship.

3. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    True. What other mind games aside from hitting to weaker player and pretending to go easy are there?

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Don't get me wrong, but judging from the questions you ask, you should NOT care about mind games AT ALL! Your problems are far more basic! Learn proper technique, footwork, tactics, ...

There's nothing more ridiculous than a lousy player acting cool and arrogant like Taufik. Acting cool is only cool, when you are really good.

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

The best mind games are killing every lift, out driving them in every drive situation, pressuring every serve, wrong footing your opponent and playing all your shots accurate on the lines. That will have your opponents mind in a twist.

6. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

best mindtactics against me is beeing very friendly and chatty

i always go into a match very motivated and on fire..determined to "die" on court (i keep it inside tho, dont think im raging all over :D)

when an older opponent smiles alot and makes friendly jokes i cool down and get sloppy...and i feel bad when i ignore those guys because its not for money or olympia where i play so it should be fun for everyone and not too grim

7. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

I shall continue with my non-ambiguous style.. but ill add a hint of bluntness. If a local "social" or even a friendly match means that much to you, that you'd laugh, and scream at your own success... (like some players do) You begin the epitome of a massive douche who no one wants to play with or get to know. Aiming one player.. also douchebag move imo unless ur playing a serious comp.. why would u want the game to be an easy flogging? Why would u make it boring for the other guy.. have some respect.

8. ___JVM

___JVM Regular Member

@ Texaco
    Dress like a bum. I know it's not right but I always assume that a player dressed in rags is a lousy player. There's this intimidating factor about impeccable clothing, preferably a brand like Yonex or sth.
    (and by rags I mean generic sportswear)
    confusing opponents with repetitive choice of shots. Humans are creatures of habit, after three dropshots, you'll probably be expecting a fourth one

9. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

Strongly recommend fancy dress or costumes
    One power ranger climbing on top of the other for a smash is excellent mind game.
    Furthermore, I believe playing in the nude can be fairly distracting also.
    Just make sure you're hitting the right shuttle cock:p

10. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    I know right haha. There's a time and place for mind game strategies, but since I am sort of starting out, I want to learn everything possible. I have played against opponents in recreational level where they either purposely hit to me or to my partner ONLY etc and it gets kind of irritating when you don't know how to counter or play their own game back.

11. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    Great point! I also like the patterns that you brought up. Play a particular pattern to your opponent that it creates an expectation in them and then you can use an unexpected shot to catch them off guard.

12. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    LOL this made my day :)

13. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Hahahaa :D u guys are funny, here's a useful one that can be used at all times without fear of getting your opponents to dislike you or anything. Take your time inbetween each rally to catch your breath and even stop your opponent from serving when youre still out of breath. Dont purposely be ready to take the serve, let him serve and then raise your hand saying you're not ready though. That's cheap. Though you can do that to irritate your opponent :D Or, if your opponent is doing that, purposely serve to him even if he's not ready. Make him pick up, and do it again if he's still delaying :D hahahaaa

14. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    exactly!!!!

15. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    how does that "not get your opponent to dislike you", and that's also poor sportsmanship.

16. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

How is it poor sportsmanship? Every professionals I know circle the court after every point before playing the next rally. Us intermediate players on the other hand, take so little time to catch our breath, taking the shuttle and straight into a service position. It is infact the pinnacle of sportsmanship in this game to take your breath and play your best against your opponent. And your opponent should do likewise :D If your opponent wants you to play out of breath so you can't play your best on the other hand, and forces you to speed up the game, thats poor sportsmanship. Ofcourse, taking too much time for the sole or added purpose of annoying your opponent would be poor sportsmanship. But if it wasn't in my intent to annoy my opponents, then I would gladly keep doing it even if it were to annoy my opponents.

If you were referring to the later half of my comment, do take note of the "dont purposely". :D

#16 Iwan, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  17. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

In professional games rallies are often 20 /30 shots or more. They need more recovery time that us amateurs. The umpire also prevents time wasting by forcing the players to get on with it

18. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    To know when you have played well, to notice your opponents have made a mistake or been out played. All these subtle things can aid you. Laughing at mistakes like Bo and Mo do is really poor form and shows a complete lack of respect for your opponents. Also laughing and joking with your partner shows a lack of respect to your opponents. The best mind games are the ones when you win by fair means.

19. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

mindfields, while the professionals can rally to 20/30 shots which is about 10-20 shots more than the intermediate players do, they also have much more stamina than us intermediate players do.

20. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    Love this one. Some older people actually do that... and it ruins your pace or focus when playing against them. It'd be funny if you're the young one doing that, but thank goodness I sweat a lot when I play so it's easier for me to feign it.