Wide Service -Doubles : Any disadvantage?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by mapper, Feb 5, 2014.

1. mapper

mapper New Member

IT
    I always try wide service in Doubles with opponents with weaker back-hands. See the image. I can win points by those services with the partner taking care of the center court. Is there anything against the rules? And what are the disadvantages?

wideService.png
    Regards
    Mapper

Mapper1 likes this.
  2. ___JVM

___JVM Regular Member

@ Texaco
    I don't think it's against the rules. Maybe because of the longer trajectory (diagonal) it is easier to kill?
    I find it harder to execute a good service when the distance the shuttle needs to travel is further than usual.

3. howdidoo

howdidoo Regular Member

Your opponent has so much of open court to smash or drive into empty space? Your partner cannot cover full area.

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

It's def legal. In low-level badminton, these things are often times succesful, so go ahead.
    Disadvantages are pretty obvious (against players that are above beginners level and not veeeeery slow...).

tkmdr likes this.
  5. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

"low level badminton" ..... the answer to your question is no. Im not going to bring in cai yun (who i think is the best doubles server in the game period..) cuz well thats irrelevant we aren't cai yun or fui hai fung (cbf spelling). All good aggressive serve returners expect it in the middle, if you switch it up, it actually becomes quite confusing/intimidating/unpredictable. Whilst they can still return with gusto, it provides question to the integrity of the return. <--- (dam that last sentence sounded pro) hope this helps xoxo

6. |_Footwork_|

nobody's questioning variation in the direction of the serves!

but standing on the sidelines and serving from there is just, well, rubbish.

7. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Against low level players, yes, it will work. Some may misjudge and let it land and you win, but against more experienced players or players who are better, I can see two issues:

1. The partner gets whacked by a fast moving shuttle to the centre (a forceful push or a quick drive).

2. Opponent hits to the side you aren't serving on.

I have done both to players who think it's fun to exploit my petite size, thinking that it will take me some time to move to the area and hit. While true, it doesn't mean I won't be able to hit to the desired area I want.

Serving short from the back is simply asking for disaster. You can't serve high because opponent could kill. You are left with a low serve. There is so much open space. A soft touch return will have your partner running to one side to return it. Not returned properly will result in tactical errors or opponents taking control of the game. This is regardless of the level of play.

tkmdr likes this.
  8. royal10march

royal10march Regular Member

If you play outside a division 5-10 club level badminton then you'll notice that each serve that you do will either get smashed back or the opponent will do a net play at the opposite side.. In both cases, you're not in a position to receive the shot.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Not rubbish. It works on less experienced players unused to the angle of the shuttle. So, yes, it's ok up to a point.

When a serving to a person who is more experienced, the returner of serve can place the shuttle into big open areas of the court. Thus, it puts the server's end under pressure and into defensive position.

10. |_Footwork_|

You quoted my second post, whereas my first post more or less says exactly what you say...;-)

11. sange

sange Regular Member

clerk

A wide serve is directed towards the outer side lines. Wide serving is used most often in doubles, where the court is wider and the server can aim for somewhere in the tramlines.
    Some wide serves, especially backhands, are technically difficult and require extra practice.
    Playing a wide serve opens up your court to straight replies into the tramlines. The straight net shot and push are especially difficult for you to deal with.
    The wide serve is useful as an occasional variation, however. By playing it every now and then, you plant doubt in your opponent's mind and give him one more serve variation to worry about. Then you can go back to the straight low serve, knowing that he will be slightly slower to react.

Mapper1 likes this.
  12. Mapper1

Mapper1 New Member

Thank you for the replies!

13. Severus Bolton

Severus Bolton Regular Member

Programmer/Developer
    I think against a player who is good at the return of serve, the dilemma of the wide serving player is having the shuttle to get in at all. (you have to think about your serve getting attacked especially because it takes the shuttle a longer time to fall where it's needed.

Mapper1 likes this.
  14. Mapper1

Mapper1 New Member

Many times I have seen above average amateurs getting confused to leave or not to leave the serve landing at the centre line. :D

15. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    It may be useful if you have such accuracy that high percentage of your wide serves would be dead-on. But the thing is that, your opponents may only get caught by it once (thinking it should be out). Afterward, they could take your serves even when they're still traveling in the other half-court (but already on receiver side). Simply put, as others have said, they've more time to see and attack your serves.

Furthermore, your margin of error is very low - meaning you most like fault more than score more.

Mapper1 likes this.
  16. simplejoys

simplejoys Regular Member

a lot depends on how you define 'above average amateurs' o_O

Cheung and Mapper1 like this.
  17. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    Seriously, I had seen someone did this many times and even against national players of his time. He is dead accurate with his serves. And he switched between near and far court services at his will, fast enough to cover after serving. Of course, it is rare but it happened. but he was into his early 40s when I saw what he did.

Occasionally, I do this service too when I am out of ideas of what to do when I am tired, not way to turn the match around, but change tactic a little and throw my opponents off guard for a while and then switch back to my normal backhand serves. Sort of variation. Of course, for my age now, can't do this to advance players cause I am too old, too slow to recover. Players of my age group and standard (hardly do this in my younger playing days), I can still do something but not for long. Or I resort to serving long high serve. I mean HIGH, real high and to some halls, it hit the ceiling (fault). These also kind of misleading as someone would initially thought it would be outside only to find the shuttle dipping right before the back service line

Mapper1 and Cheung like this.
  18. Mapper1

Mapper1 New Member

#18 Mapper1, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  19. Mapper1

Mapper1 New Member

Could anyone clarify the above question please.

20. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    First up, the side lines are always out in singles, I think you got a little mixed up there.

Secondly, the BWF labels only the main box as the service court, but does show in diagrams that the side lines are in on the receiving court. I've interpreted it that you cannot serve from the side lines (or back line for singles) as they are not the service court, even though they may be a part of the receiving court.

@phihag would be the best person to ask.

Mapper1 likes this.