User Tag List

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Well, anybody out there who's ever played with too high tension can test it for us.
    Edited for truth. You must have a very consistent and good aim/timing Mark!

I've no idea how the rate at which the size changes varies with tension though. Eg 23vs24lb compared to 29vs30. If you're interested I'll start a new thread and try to explain it with science and words. Or my interpretation of it anyway! It makes sense in my head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I got a few sets from mybadmintonstore and I strung it up to my usual doubles tension of 24.5x26.5 in my MX80. After my first session of play it seems to feel way tighter then BG80 at the same tension. I string my singles rackets to 26.5x28.5 with BG80 usually and this practically feels the same as R4X 110 at 24.5x26.5. Anyone else got this experience? For the playing with the string itself, the texture is really rough a la BG80, so slices are obviously good, as well as net play (tumblers). I couldn't quite find my power yet, however it improved as my session went on. Also something that caught my eye was that the string was moving around more in my racket than BG80. The stiffness of this string seems to be on par with if not exceeding BG80. Will report again after another (few) session(s).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are reviews of the Zymax and other series welcome here? I'd like to see the progression as I try more and more strings.
    Zymax is a lot more powerful than I remember. It has been one day since stringing so maybe tension loss hasn't happened yet, but I never expected such a stark difference between Zymax 67 and BG65ti. I found Zymax to be very grippy, too. Drives were so powerful! perhaps I have not unlocked its capabilities, only stringing at 22x24, but how did I leave this string?

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ If you're playing feather, wait till you try ZM62 at 23x24 lbs or ZM65 at 25x27 lbs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course I play feather
    I suppose there is an "activation tension" for the Zymax line? I recall MarkA identifying 30+lb for Zymax 70 for the best results! I read reviews about the Zymax 62 having devastating slices- I may have found the perfect racket to match it but this isn't the right forum to post it in.

On another note- how quickly does mybadmintonstore restock ashaway?

On another note- can the vibration from R4X110 that paul mentioned be harmful to the arm while playing?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDawg View Post

On another note- can the vibration from R4X110 that paul mentioned be harmful to the arm while playing?
    Of course it can. Especially if you already have some tendinitis and trying to do power smashes with a panhandle grip.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes the vibration can effect tendinitis. I could feel pain in my elbow and I don't have any injuries.

At this point I think we should all exercise common sense with regard to string tension. Mark is unusual as he likes and can play with high tensions. The majority of players are unable to play at such high tensions which could result in injury. Mark has got to this level over many years of trial, increasing tension by 1lb when the time was right. He also trains frequently in the gym and has a very good technique. All of these contribute as safety factors.

I have tested 29/30 lbs in my racket and it doesn't suit me. I have subsequently reduced by tension to 25/27 which is comfortable to me.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, I think I'm confused.
    Is the vibration that you felt a property of the string or the tension, or both?

Personally, I don't train at the gym often for the arms, so I must be careful to avoid injury. I have been coached for good technique, though.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paulstewart64 View Post
    Yes the vibration can effect tendinitis. I could feel pain in my elbow and I don't have any injuries.

At this point I think we should all exercise common sense with regard to string tension. Mark is unusual as he likes and can play with high tensions. The majority of players are unable to play at such high tensions which could result in injury. Mark has got to this level over many years of trial, increasing tension by 1lb when the time was right. He also trains frequently in the gym and has a very good technique. All of these contribute as safety factors.

I have tested 29/30 lbs in my racket and it doesn't suit me. I have subsequently reduced by tension to 25/27 which is comfortable to me.

Paul
    Agree with Paul.

Put a high tension in the racquet without getting used to it and you are likely to get tendinitis. Have a hard feeling string in it and you might feel it worse. Third is the property of the racquet itself and its damping characteristics.

One time I was playing around 4 times a week and I had 30lbs on BG65 (very stretchy string).

Now, I am on about 28lbs with 0.68mm strings - usually fine for me. But as Paul says, YMMV

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My regular tension is 25/27lbs so it must be the string. I use other Victor strings without any issues and certainly no vibration.

Paul

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paulstewart64 View Post
    My regular tension is 25/27lbs so it must be the string. I use other Victor strings without any issues and certainly no vibration.

Paul
    I don't think I've ever used a string that gave me too much feel.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other than the Ashaway Zymax 67 string I've been telling you all about, I have actually been testing a .66mm string with lots of control and feel, but it's really not rough. The string properties are pretty different from any other string I've tried. Would you like to hear about it?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed that R4X110 is sensitive to gripper marks. I've started to go around my diabolo twice, and the effect seems to have gone away; self-friction takes a lot of the load away from the gripper plates.

Good to 30/31 PS, we now know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    I've noticed that R4X110 is sensitive to gripper marks. I've started to go around my diabolo twice, and the effect seems to have gone away; self-friction takes a lot of the load away from the gripper plates.

Good to 30/31 PS, we now know.
    Is it worse than 66U?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDawg View Post
    Other than the Ashaway Zymax 67 string I've been telling you all about, I have actually been testing a .66mm string with lots of control and feel, but it's really not rough. The string properties are pretty different from any other string I've tried. Would you like to hear about it?
    Open another thread on it

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update:

R4X110 at 30/31 is fantastic. Might take it to 32/33 when my Pandas get here... need some brave pills...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard a lot of things about when string tensions get really high (zymax thread mentions ZM70 >30lb i think), and now this; what makes the string so good at these high tensions?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast