User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DuckFeet View Post
    Also "hit it with the sweetspot at all times" - I thought in those FedEx videos cai yun said use the top/outer strings for serve. Looks to me like lin dan uses off centre shots at the net too.
    Zheng Bo used to do it as well - better control on serves because you're hitting off the least bouncy part of the bed.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a go with pulling two mains at once. Seemed a fair quicker, tendon seems ok so far as its constant pull and I wiggled the strings to hopefully get them both at the right tension.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a go with pulling two mains at once. Seemed a fair quicker, tendon seems ok so far as its constant pull and I wiggled the strings to hopefully get them both at the right tension.
    Constant pull doesn't matter in that situation, you will still end up with much less tension on the second string.

My guess is you'll be able to reach 75% of your desired tension on the second string at best.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers yan. Lol 75% of 19 is... I don't even want to know. I've left it in the communal rack at work.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers yan. Lol 75% of 19 is... I don't even want to know. I've left it in the communal rack at work.
    75% is just a guess, maybe we could test it one day and see what it ends up being!

I believe Kwun did the test for pulling 2 cross strings at the same time at 30lbs, and the resulting tension on the second string ended up being somewhere along 15-20lbs iirc.

Also, I just remembered that I've actually done the same test with main strings a couple years back. The resulting tension for a 30lbs pull was 21.9lbs! So quite a big loss!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    75% is just a guess, maybe we could test it one day and see what it ends up being!

I believe Kwun did the test for pulling 2 cross strings at the same time at 30lbs, and the resulting tension on the second string ended up being somewhere along 15-20lbs iirc.

Also, I just remembered that I've actually done the same test with main strings a couple years back. The resulting tension for a 30lbs pull was 21.9lbs! So quite a big loss!
    Wow, how did you go about working out the 21.9lbs please? Was that every mains tension or the tension of every second string?
    So if he strings about 22.5lbs(main)/31lbs(cross), would the racket still keep it's shape alright?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Wow, how did you go about working out the 21.9lbs please? Was that every mains tension or the tension of every second string?
    So if he strings about 22.5lbs(main)/31lbs(cross), would the racket still keep it's shape alright?
    I used the same method that kwun used in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAIVBc1mDf8

The resulting tension would be close to the pulling tension on the string that is being directly pulled and about 25-30% lower on the other string. So in the case of Andrew Ellis, he's probably getting something like 30lbs 23lbs 30lbs 23lbs 30lbs, etc. If the tension creeps perfectly (which is not the case), the resulting tension on the main would be somewhere close to 26.5lbs. While a 26,5lbs x 30lbs may not let the frame in a perfect shape, I don't think it'd be overly distorted.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yup. 30lbs after going through the frame becomes 15lbs.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks chaps. So you both pulled 30lbs and kwun got 15lbs and yan 22lbs that is quite a big difference, interesting.
    Going off on a tangent. I had a racket strung by a guy(while ago and only once) and it came back Oval shaped, tall and narrow(it arc 10 isometric). Felt terrible and looked mental, snapped in couple ends anyway. I just asked for 24lbs. I am just now wondering how this was possible to get it so deformed? (It was a professional stringing machine, wilson)
    Can tightening the side supports way to tight deform the racket a lot no matter what tension you use mains and crosses?? or something else? It was that shape until the strings snapped.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks chaps. So you both pulled 30lbs and kwun got 15lbs and yan 22lbs that is quite a big difference, interesting.
    Going off on a tangent. I had a racket strung by a guy(while ago and only once) and it came back Oval shaped, tall and narrow(it arc 10 isometric). Felt terrible and looked mental, snapped in couple ends anyway. I just asked for 24lbs. I am just now wondering how this was possible to get it so deformed? (It was a professional stringing machine, wilson)
    Can tightening the side supports way to tight deform the racket a lot no matter what tension you use mains and crosses?? or something else? It was that shape until the strings snapped.
    Kwun did it with 2 cross strings, I did it with 2 main strings, that explains the difference.

Normally, tightening the supports too much will crack the racket or only temporarily deform the racket while stringing. The racket should go back to the shape dictated by the mains/cross tension ratio after it's out of the machine.

Imo, the stringer probably pulled a couple strings at a time for the main strings, which resulted in a lot more tension in the crosses than the mains. Or he just put too much tension on cross strings, it doesn't take that much of a difference to deform a racket.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kwun did it with 2 cross strings, I did it with 2 main strings, that explains the difference.

Normally, tightening the supports too much will crack the racket or only temporarily deform the racket while stringing. The racket should go back to the shape dictated by the mains/cross tension ratio after it's out of the machine.

Imo, the stringer probably pulled a couple strings at a time for the main strings, which resulted in a lot more tension in the crosses than the mains. Or he just put too much tension on cross strings, it doesn't take that much of a difference to deform a racket.
    Of course, I didn't read carefully enough cheers.

Thanks for the info Re my oval arc 10. Just to check, the reason I ask was because you are saying andy has about 5lb increase crosses due to double pulled mains, but at 9m09 in the video his racket still looks isometric. Mine didn't at all.
    This to me suggests my stringer must have managed to get a lot more difference cross/main than 5lbs which is baffling. or hidden reason?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, I didn't read carefully enough cheers.

Thanks for the info Re my oval arc 10. Just to check, the reason I ask was because you are saying andy has about 5lb increase crosses due to double pulled mains, but at 9m09 in the video his racket still looks isometric. Mine didn't at all.
    This to me suggests my stringer must have managed to get a lot more difference cross/main than 5lbs which is baffling. or hidden reason?
    Some rackets deform more than others. High end stiff rackets tend to not deform much even when stringing at very high tensions while some other rackets are made from material that are more flexible.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some rackets deform more than others. High end stiff rackets tend to not deform much even when stringing at very high tensions while some other rackets are made from material that are more flexible.
    It was a genuine Yonex Arcsaber 10 3u.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ellis pulls very fast. Imbalance stresses and racquet fracture are probably dependent on time. So a slower stringer using Ellis' method may get more deformity in the frame.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With prestretch, pulling on one string (only for checking if the machine pulls the correct tension):
    Name:  IMG_0185.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  35.9 KB

With prestretch, pulling on two strings:
    Name:  IMG_0186.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  46.9 KB

With constantpull, pulling on two strings (after a few seconds of wait):
    Name:  IMG_0187.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  48.2 KB

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

it also depends on the angle. the more "turn" the string makes, the more friction and thus more tension loss. in my video, it was on the bottom mains so that's probably the worse case scenario.

in Alex's case, the string is mostly straight so that's the best case.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alex

What's the name of your calibration device?

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast