What do you prize more in a game? Playing with a Strategy in mind or Going All Out?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Birdy, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    What do you prize more in a game? Playing with a Strategy in mind or Going All Out?

Which works better for you and why?

2. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    Even though the obvious answer is both are important.

Personally, I would go with going all out and see what opens up. I believe that majority of the game is about making your shots accurate and/or powerful. Execution is what forces other players to have errors, you can't expect people to make errors like "Oh, all my opponents have a crappy backhand". What if you versed a lefty or someone is better than you? You have to make some good shots or else strategies won't even matter that much if your shots don't give pressure.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

i used to go all out when i first started, not knowing what strategy was, but now as i get older and wiser and don't have much all out to go, i play smarter ... with strategy ;)

nowadays i get way more satisfaction in winning a point from a well placed net/drop/push shot than from a hard smash

no, actually, i changed my mind... i get way more satisfaction from a severely faked smash drop :D

#3 visor, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  4. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Just like the lyrics from "The Birdie", 'You can hit the birdie hard. I can hit the birdie smart.' :D

I too love the drops. I can imagine the opponent's knees and ankles buckle as they fail to reach the bird in time. :)

5. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

All out at the back court. Strategicly placement shots at front court. Might change after 10 yrs later

6. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    This is definitely a problem I am struggling with at the moment. I'm more in the line of "I'm going to try MY best" rather than actually thinking out strategies during gameplay. Of course I try to exploit my opponents weakness, but I'm afraid that my ability to read the game is not that good yet.
    What I try to do is that I do my research before I play my opponent and adjust my 'strategy' through that information... But then again, this is one of the reasons I find badminton so interesting. One can only get better and I intend to improve as much as I can.

7. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Your option depends on your level of skills. My opinion is that only when you attain a certain level can you "afford" to think about strategy. Or put it in another way, only when you have the technical competency, can you have the ability to execute your strategy.

Low level players have the tendency of lifting every single shot, even when they are at the net. They also tend to clear instead of using drop when possible. So for such players, there's really not much strategy they can use. Probably the only strategy is to lift or clear to one opponent only.

Assuming that both parties have similar skills, the side that spend more time on strategy will have an advantage because going all out (which I take it to mean using all out power) is sometimes counter productive.

8. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    R u guys referring to singles or doubles game?

9. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

I used to play all out. Now, I prefer to strategize and poke on the opponents returns looking for a loophole.