2016 Rio Summer Olympics - Singles Maximum Lowered from 3 to 2.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CantSmashThis, Feb 11, 2014.

1. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

2. Penwinack

Penwinack Regular Member

Agree and fair point for another country.:D

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    An excerpt from the above link:

The other major change for the Rio Olympics is that the host country’s quota will be one player in each of the two singles categories only. The host will not be given a quota in doubles.

Here is the direct BWF link for the full Qualification System document for Rio 2016
    http://bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=529944&dl=1

4. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

The decision was made by the Badminton World Federation’s (BWF) Council while establishing qualification requirements for the Rio Olympics. Badminton World Federation (BWF) sees this as a greater opportunity for players from more NOCs to compete at the highest level.

what a load of rubbish!

by definition there will be a maximum of TWO, most likely ONE or NONE, free places for the lower ranked players by robbing the players ranked within the top 4.

And how's that to promote top class badminton to the wider world by letting a lower rank player get smashed in the first round?

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

羽联大棒打疼中囯国羽,林丹里约前景出变数诸强利好

世界羽联突然在官方网站公布了一条里约奥运会名额调整的重磅消息,每个协会的单打参赛席位从3个变成了两个。对国羽而言,这不啻于一次重大打击,男女单打的实力遭到削减,明显降低了对于这两枚金牌的把握,林丹参加里约奥运会的前景出现变数,而收获利好的李宗伟也许将收回自己的退役决定。

紧追世界乒联的步伐,世界羽联对于“打压”中国队也是不遗余力,继每个协会的双打名额在上届从3个缩减到两个之后,在距离里约奥运会只有两年多的时刻,又突然将单打名额缩减到了两个。

相比双打名额的调整,这一措施对中囯国羽的打击要更大。毕竟中国队只有两对高水平混双,男双甚至都没有过硬的第二双打,女双的优势又比较明显。单打则不然,在伦敦奥运会报名截止日前,李雪芮在最后一刻挤掉王适娴锁定了第三个女单席位,最终夺得了冠军。在2000年的悉尼奥运会上,吉新鹏作为第三男单出征,却一路走到了最后。北京奥运会上,第三单打陈金扫雷成功,与林丹会师半决赛。在去年的世锦赛上,中囯国羽现在的第三男单杜鹏宇半决赛对李宗伟进行了顽强阻击,对这位大马名将造成了很大的消耗。由于没有了第三个参赛席位,这样的情况也将不会再出现。

中国女单一直有保有三名高水平选手的传统,不过现在来看,李雪芮、王仪涵、王适娴这三大主力将有一人落选里约奥运会,无疑将大大消弱国羽的集团优势,也降低了对于这枚金牌的把握。

倘若里约男单仍有三个参赛席位,林丹参赛的希望无疑非常大。然而现在缩减一个名额之后,增加了很多不确定性。谌龙已经基本锁定了一个参赛席位,只要不出大的意外将铁定出现在里约。林丹将跟众多后起之秀争夺另外一个参赛席位。林丹现在已经有31岁,两年后将是33岁,谁也不能保证那个时候林丹仍保持着出色的状态,而小将们则一直在进步。倘若林丹出现闪失,位置很有可能被杜鹏宇、王睁茗等人取代。

李宗伟此前再次确认,他将在今年年底退役。但现在来看,李宗伟仍保持着巅峰状态,虽然已经有32岁,但身体机能一点也不见下滑的趋势。而这几年羽坛盛产老将,盖德一直打到了37岁,34岁的李炫一又复出了。

羽联的这项举措打消了李宗伟的一些顾虑。几乎每届大赛,李宗伟都要面对中国选手的围剿,碰林丹之前他往往要遇到多名中国选手,消耗非常大,以致决赛面对以逸待劳的林丹。现在则不同,他若确定参加里约奥运会,在遇到林丹或谌龙之前,他最多只会遇到一名中国选手,甚至还有不小的可能是直接与两人之一决战。对于年纪越来越大、愈发担忧国羽围剿的李宗伟而言,这不啻于一大利好。

羽坛之前的景象是,林丹想坚持打到里约,李宗伟已经在准备退役,现在看来这种局面即将被打破。

6. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Death of badminton! Death of OG!

If OG claim itself the top sports event, how could it deny a world number 3 from participating?

and the clown coach TSB jumped out immediately to praise it as a fair move, how ridiculously hypocritical!!!

rule is a rule, it's fine. but don't call this rule fair and don't call OG as the top event then...

7. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

He really said that? If yes, of course it is a fair move for him, as he won't likely had 3 singles in the top 4 came the 2016 OG. If only he can experienced LYB's luxury with 4 WS in top 4 and must leave some of them at home when 2012 OG came, wonder if he would still called it a fair move.

Nothing against the rule as a rule is a rule. At one side, it does gave more opportunity to more players to participate in OG. But feel so sorry for the better players that deserved that spot in the first place.

#7 bad's fan, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    [MENTION=4883]jimbo[/MENTION] thanks for the post above, but you do realise it is quite meaningless to many members- and also very frustrating! This is after all, an English-language forum. It might help if you could, with a little more effort, provide a translation/link or a brief synopsis on the contents, for the benefit of your fellow forumers. :)

9. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

Mas will eventually end up with one player like many other countries. Eventhough Chn cannot send 3 singles players to OG, they will make sure their players occupy at least 5-7 spots in top 16. which means, it will be difficult for other countries to send 2players. And for Mas, if LCW is still playing, he will be the only one in top 16, if LCW retires before OG, Mas will also have only 1player. Remember HH, he was hanging at the 16th spot during the qualifying period and drop out of it at the 11th hr, twice... so, no different.. LYB will make sure to stop all other countries from sending the max players while he can enjoy the benefits alone, like always. :D the only difference is he wont have the chance to sweep all three colours in MS/WS

10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

From 3 to 2 representatives, this BWF decision will deliver impact for CHN as they have many good players in MS and WS, they must select two BEST for Rio 2016.

11. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

It will be exciting to see how LD make the cut for Rio2016... CL is a sure bet, and another slot is up for grab among DPY, WZM and LD (provided that they make it to the top 8). The internal competition must be very tough...

It was reported that LD will participate in 10 tournaments this year to reap up the points as much as possible... He is not qualified for the AE2014 though :p

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

it's actually to top 16 will do.

having said that if bwf really wishes to increase the number of players for the minor countries then they could make that to only 2 players if they are within top 8.

Based on today's ranking as an example that will release 11 more single places (5MS & 6WS) rather than ONE for the current proposal.

#12 AlanY, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Atleast for one time, BWF is thinking wisely and doing job to prevent 'malfunction'.

14. SigH-Max

SigH-Max Regular Member

Those quotas are ridiculous, way to lower the overall level of the players, and the quality of the matches. How the BWF can make such bad decisions (remember the round-robin system) is beyond me.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This is a very interesting point. On one hand, in the first round, if you have the third ranked player in the world top four playing, wouldn't that mean beating somebody in the first round quite comprehensively.

Yet, if you have a badminton minnow playing another badminton minnow, that's two countries that

A) profile their Olympians in countries within minority participation

B) potentially show it on their national TV

C) those Olympians go back to their countries and hopefully still get involved in promoting badminton

D) in those countries, the Olympic dream for a badminton minority country and a couple of athletes will be better reached

Note: the world championships is about the best in the world. Olympic philosophy is about participation across many countries for the top players across continents and countries. Hence, the different rules. Having top two players in each country still provides for the highest quality badminton in the semi and final rounds.

#15 Cheung, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  16. mindreader

mindreader Regular Member

You're gonna have to excuse me while I get a chuckle out of this one. The last time I checked the Olympic motto is still Citius, Altius, Fortius. I haven't found anywhere where it said be good, but not too good.

I can also certainly appreciate Pierre de Coubertin's goal of "harmious development of humankind." However, when he said the importance is participation, he was referring to the struggle as opposed to winning, specifically:

"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well."

de Coubertin certainly made no reference that a superior athlete should be disallowed in favour of a lesser one. As a matter of fact, it can be strongly argued that doing so would deprive the better athlete of the right of participation.

Lastly but certainly not the least, if as claimed, the World Championships are about the best, why is there a similar quota in place?

17. vixter

vixter Regular Member

But Cheung is right, Olympics was always meant to be a globally/nationally diverse competition. The five rings represents the five continents. If we are talking about Pierre de Coubertin, I believe his vision was that the Olympics should be strictly for amateurs and not professionals.

But regarding this maximum quota rule changing from 3 to 2, I don't know, I feel like the rule was fine as it was, why change it? It's quite an impressive sight when a nation manages to make a clean-sweep of the medals. Not saying that's what I would hope for in any sport, but it's an impressive sight, three flags of the same during price ceremony.

This would probably have happened in 2012
    if not for Wang Xin's sad injury. :(
    And in 2008 if not for Lu Lan's stage-fright. ;)

18. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I agree the best should play in OLY. CHN has done her homework and produced the best players, her players train and play hard, why punish her?

As for that Pierre chap '"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well." that is well said and some dude will print this message and print on the wall for inspiration/motivation and what-nots, but OTB's take is spare me the struggle as I have enough growing up in poor old MAS, just show me the money' (as Cuba Jr said in the movie Jerry Mcguire) and Vince Lombardi 'winning is not everything, it is the only thing':D
    If OTB follows Pierre words, OTB will lose his shirt:D These Vince and Cuba chaps are OTBs inspirational and motivational guru:p

#18 OneToughBirdie, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  19. mindreader

mindreader Regular Member

If participation and struggle are important as de Coubertin intended, why does it matter who wins? Other countries are there aren't they? Does it mean they didn't participate because they didn't win? Where is the struggle if best nations are handicapped and the wins handed to you on a silver platter?

If you'll also allow me to note the self-serving BWF rules. I can't help but notice that only the singles events had their quota shrunk... events where, oh you know, a certain country's advantages are so obvious. If the intention is to have all countries participate, why not limit entries to doubles events as well?

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I agree we want to see the best and we see the best from each NOC under the new changes given some rules.

As noted there are 5 rings in the Olympic flag.

If doubles are not limited to the same ruling, then I think that's an inconsistency that puts BWF in a weaker position.

I had a quick look at table tennis and judo via wikipedia. The restrictions are also 2 from each country. In fact, judo is limited to one person for each weight division.

So perhaps an olympic committee higher up has spoken to BWF to bring things into line with other sports.