Yonex GERMAN Open 2014 DRAW

Discussion in 'German / All England / Swiss Open 2014' started by CLELY, Feb 11, 2014.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

2. otidh

otidh Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Just saw the draw. What??? Tommy has withdrawn? What happened with Tommy? Did he choose to give more focus to All England?

3. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    What happened to saina pv and ajay'?they are Not participating. I desperately wanted to see them playing in Europe.

4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Also Ryan/Angga as well had withdrawn.
    Another pulling out : Danish WD Kruse/Roepke, Indian XD Kona/Ponnappa.

5. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

am i the only one, who thinks that some things concerning the draw are strange? due to some circumstances a player who got PMR (promoted from reserve into the men singles qualifying) got directly into the Main Draw, whereas other players who directly got into the Qualifying Draw (not from the Reserve) had still to play qualies. i think this is unfair, because why should it be, that a player from the Reserve (who have a lower ranking than everyone else initially in the qualy draw), who initially shouldn't even have participated in the qualies, get directly into the main draw, and regular qualifying players still have to play qualies.

the described case happened at this german open qualy draw for men's singles: due to 7 people withdrawing from the main draw, 7 players from the quali-draw were promoted to the main draw. the then empty spots from the quali-draw were filled with players from the reserve. this way, for example, stilian makarski replaced the #1 quali-seed TZU WEI WANG, who, due to other withdrawals, had a BYE into the main draw, without having to play 1 qualy match.

i know, my explanation seems difficult. but please try to follow. the problem is, that the way, the rules are now, it is obviously possible for RESERVE players, who get promoted into the Qualy-draw, under certain circumstances get a bye and therefore directly qualify for the Maind Draw without having to play 1 match, whereas regular qualifying-players (with a better ranking than Reserver players) still have to play qualy matches.

i think in tennis this is avoided because seedings is done again after withdrawals of seeded players. this way makarski would not directly have replaced wang as #1 seed of the qualy draw. instead, the 4 seeds would have been defined again and makarski would have not been one of them...

what do you say?