Holding Racket - Forehand and Backhand Grip

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kbase, Feb 11, 2014.

1. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Hi all !

I recently learned the proper way of holding the racket ( to get a V-shape while holding in the grip). I am getting a very good control on holding the racket this way. But the problem is , after 2 shots, my palm automatically shifting to my old way of holding racket.

It affects my game as my mind always thinking to hold the racket in the V-shape and thereby losing the game. Also with respect to backhand too, I am not able to shift the thumb for forehand grip and backhand grip.

But I want to practice holding the racket in the V-shape. Any techniques or exercise to practice this ?

@ If there are threads already in the forum explaining this, please share the link.

Thanks

2. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Honestly, the best method is practice. Practice builds for consistency. Don't over complicate it.

3. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Thanks for the reply. When I am practising, unintentionally my grip getting changed to old position though my intention is to hold the racket in the proper way.

4. vixter

vixter Regular Member

I can have the same problem as you, because I also played with an improper forehand grip (between panhandle and forehand) for a very long time. I find making the transition to a good forehand grip difficult. I think to practise the grips at home is good, practise changing between the grips, and practise your techniques in slow motion in front of a mirror.

When you use the correct forehand grip, you have no choice but to use good pronation of the forearm. Therefore I think you must also make contact with the shuttle a little bit lower. Maybe you are trying to make contact with the shuttle too high, and therefore lose the grip. I also find that when I'm not properly warmed up, my arm won't pronate. Sometimes my techniques and grip don't fall into place until the end of the session. I find that extremely frustrating. Me playing badminton for so many years, and my techniques are not feeling good until the end of the training? Ridiculous.

Regarding backhand: You know that you don't have to change the grip just because the shuttle comes to your backhand side, right? For a backhand drive you can have forehand grip. For a backhand clear, just move your thumb upwards so that it's aligned with the raquet and there you have the bevel grip.

5. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Exactly. I am getting frustrated and I try to play the few rallies with the proper grip. But mind getting caught in the grip making me to lose the concenteration in the shuttle and thereby the game.

If I play the same backhand with the forehand grip, I am not able to generate power. Also with backhand grip while playing rallies I can shift to the proper backhand grip and can see the power and effectiveness of the proper grip. But while playing matches, I am not able to shift to the proper grip and thereby playing the backhand with the forehand grip and thereby effect of the return is very poor