Pain on the outside of both feet.

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Ottrasmus, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Ottrasmus

Ottrasmus New Member

Ottrasmus@gmail.com
    Hi. I really hope someone can help me here.

I used to play Badminton as a kid at a fairly high level 8 years ago - Now I am starting up again (Age 24) and have played for some weeks now. It's great to play again but I have a problem. During last training i started to feel this pain on the outside of both of my feet, the next morning I could barely walk. This pain has been going on for about a week now and it has become better but still hurts and I am afraid it will come back when I play next time. I threw out the cheap Badminton shoes that I started to play with (which also was really narrow) and have bought myself some new ones today from Bonny sports which feels very very comfortable.
    I really hope it was the cheap shoes that was the reason for the pain but could it be something else, maybe starting up too hard or something?
    Anyway my question is:
    Have any of you experienced this pain on the outside of the foot (right beneath the knot on the little toe) and what did you do to solve the problem?

I really hope some of you can help me out because I love this game!

- Rasmus

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Cheap narrow shoes sounds like the most likely answer.
    Give your new ones some time and you'll know for sure. :)

3. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    It does sound like the shoes may have been the problem because you said both feet were affected. Hopefully the new shoes will help your feet.

4. Ottrasmus

Ottrasmus New Member

Ottrasmus@gmail.com
    Thanks for the answers. I really hope it is also the shoes. Been resting for a week now and it is better, but not entirely gone. I will try to play with my new shoes monday and see how it goes :)

5. visor

visor Regular Member

make sure you break in your new shoes first before wearing it to train! or you're going to have some new pain ;)

you can break it in by wearing it inside your home for a few hours

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    This sounds quite like what happens after playing with shoes that are narrow at the front.

I had this problem with two pairs:

I gave away the really narrow pair.
    I gave the slightly narrow pair the ice treatment - and I'm now using the pair.

Of course, in both cases, the first thing I did was to STOP using them anymore.

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Strange that happens. I also had a many year break from badminton. Same pain happened on start up. What I think it was for me - the outside of badminton shoes now(especially outside upper) extends outwards further than normal trainers(width ways, to stop you twisting your ankle during lateral movements). The result was it kinda lifted/leveled the outside of my foot unlike any other trainers/shoes. Combine exercise to this new position and the result was bad pain until my foot adapted:D. Wasn't a quick process neither can't remember exactly but 3-6 months. The other fall out from the abnormal(for me then) tilt/leveling of the foot was shin splints. Good luck!
    A pair of those custom molded insoles might work?? (never used them)

8. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Hey, could you please expand on the ice treatment? It sounds really interesting since I have wide feet and if this is a remedy for slightly narrow shoes I wild like to try it. Thanks!